• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Butler: The Movie BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
So first of all, these characters are completely different from the manga's Ciel and Sebastian. FUNi should not have used the same dub cast, because they're not the same characters. This Sebastian is the same sort of demon, but he's a lot more human than the manga's Sebastian - he feels things for humans a lot more, while the manga's Sebastian is completely inhuman.

As for the comments about the female characters... that's not really the point with Madame Red. She's just like spoiler[the circus people who kidnapped kids and used their bones to make prosthetic limbs] in a later arc. The issue is that they're pathetic, grasping at something they think will make them happy, and it so happens that they die because of it. See also Alan and Eric in "The Most Beautiful Death in the World" (great story that needs to be brought back in some form) and the song "Hallucination" in the end of that. If you want to look at the series' attitudes towards the treatment by society of women, in Madame Red's case, or of the poor or disabled in the circus' case, the series isn't just critical towards the society's attitude, it takes it as a given that the society's attitudes are wrong. If Madame Red hadn't been so pressured into spoiler[wanting to have children], if the circus group had had some other way to improve their lives, none of this would have happened.
(With Alan and Eric, the issue wasn't society, though, it was a disease).
The change simply fits with a more modern setting (which, by the way, isn't exactly supposed to be modern Japan - what's with people on this site not being able to understand that a setting can look like a real place, or be based on a real place, without actually being that place? I have to wonder what it would be like to watch ACCA with someone who thinks like that.)

Point applies to Shiori, though. She's more interesting. Mey Rin is about the same.

Also important note - a lot of the clothes are by lolita fashion brands. I remember Alice and the Pirates was mentioned in the credits, don't remember exactly which others. I want to say Excentrique, but I don't know for sure. Also, it's... not that unheard of to have a movie that's in a modern setting, but with most of the characters in lolita/EGA type fashion...
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see this movie get a well-deserved mostly positive review. I confess to never having seen the anime, which might have helped me in appreciating this more than most people, and why it didn't feel as "off" to me. It's too bad they may not follow this up with a second movie, because it definitely opened itself up to one, but it's still an entertaining standalone movie in its own right regardless.
katscradle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I will rent this I think. It does seem so very not probably what I enjoy about Black Butler. But, I always seem to watch every live-action adaptation of Japanese stuff for some reason. Maybe I will like the clothes at least.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
So first of all, these characters are completely different from the manga's Ciel and Sebastian. FUNi should not have used the same dub cast, because they're not the same characters. This Sebastian is the same sort of demon, but he's a lot more human than the manga's Sebastian - he feels things for humans a lot more, while the manga's Sebastian is completely inhuman.

Yeah, but they're close enough to the original characters that some fans of Black Butler's dub would be upset if the original dub voices of those characters were replaced, even for a live-action adaption.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Honestly I think it being significantly different is a plus. I'd rather watch a unique take over something that's just a condensed version of what already exists. Gives you a reason to watch both instead of just one.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 am Reply with quote
If this were a western film that made all these weird changes, everyone would be throwing a collective wobbly.

That said, this is a gorgeously shot film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1