• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Welcome to the Ballroom (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ballroom (TV)

Genres: tournament
Themes: dance

Plot Summary: Fujita has drifted through middle school aimlessly, unable to find friends or anything that can hold his attention. Then, one day, he's attacked by a gang and saved by a mysterious man. But this isn't a karate master; it's a ballroom dance instructor! Reluctantly, Fujita takes a few beginner's classes, only to find his inspiration... an entrancing, teenage dance prodigy named Shizuku. It's Fujita's first step into the high-octane world of competitive dance!
----------------------------------

Really happy to see this getting an anime adaptation. It's also by Production IG (one of my favorite studios). They picked some solid cast choices for this too so I'm excited to see the characters in their roles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well this was quite something.

I liked the creativity they poured into the OP song in particular during the walking scenes between the dancing partners. Thought that was kinda neat. The only thing that bothered me slightly was the length of the characters' necks.

Tatara has plenty of time for development although my initial impression of him in this first episode is so-so. He definitely feels determined to learn though. I also kinda like how the first episode goes into dance fundamentals already.

Kiyoharu is awesome, loved the way he debuted against those bullies.
Shizuku also gives off her cool vibe with her personality.

Solid first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Oh, I recognise the group who sing the OP song, it is the same group that sing the ED of Blood Blockade Battlefront ED, an ending that is quite popular and had elements of dancing, including I think ballroom dancing. That might be something insignificant, but I at least wonder if it shows an idea that the group fits the dancing well.

While in general I have thought some of the stretching of the people here can kind of feel off, I think that I am enjoying it. I do think maybe he should evaluate whether mentally chasing after this girl is something he should do, she already has someone and seems quite fond of him, along with apparently what he does. Maybe there could be another girl rather that whatever this is of him trying to steal her or something.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hm, I think the opposite DP. Just because they're dancing partners doesn't mean they are a couple. They seem close as friends, but I haven't seen real sparks and paradise betwee Hyodo and... whats her name? A good part of the second episode Tatara is preoccupied with fears and possible judgements about this Hyodo guy, who in the end doesn't seem to be anything like he expected. The first thing he should overcome is his own insecurity.
Also, it would be refreshing to see a show mature enough to not put these characters into romantic triangles.
Though even if I'm 100% wrong about this, I still think I'll continue to enjoy this show.
I agree about the 'stretching' positions. Guess they like some extra flair even if it looks unnatural.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Yeah, I actually kept watching this. I think the discussion mostly went into the episode review thread that I kind of went away from. There is not a lot written here, but there feels like a lot to discuss about this show.

In an honest way I felt a bit excited at the end, it had my attention, even if it was probably obvious. I probably felt myself swept away with a few of its themes and hooks, but there were problems in this show, rooted problems that others elsewhere have expressed and I think need to also do. The big talk leading up to the halfway point, which I was kind of done with, was that Chinatsu would be introduced, Tatara's partner, a pretty strong woman which could maybe help overcome the gender problems this show had in things like lessening the importance of female characters. The show pretty much said that it is the male partner that is the metric for how the couple is judged, the female partner is there to follow the lead and look pretty, which sounds horrible and from what I hear is not even accurate.

Indeed there were some good points of the strong willed Chinatsu, along with the introduction of Sengoku's partner, but it kind of came out with Chinatsu really treating Tatara horribly, him getting told to man up, and her to be dominated. I am sure many people won't see that there is a problem with gender roles in this show, and that people complaining about it are being too PC or something, that it is like normal and is not outright being mean to either gender. But kind of the worst part of this show to me was that it seems to think it is doing right, when really there is some really unhealthy things it is trying to normalize, that even its best moments don't make up for it. I am not even sure the show itself is fully aware why the character should be pissed when people are making decisions for her, with Sengoku being a dick who pulled something like sabotaging her performance in a way for male pride, instead of just talking to her. Up to the ending you see Sengoku being celebrated, despite a number of troubling parts of his character.

Stepping away for themes of gender dynamics for a moment, probably not to just look like I am whiny or something, the show had other problems up to and including things like animation and music. Especially in the first half its choice of music were horrible decisions, where you would think it be self explanatory that songs during dances should actually be what they are dancing to, but by some strange chance I think there were a number of times I don't think it sounded like anything that was supposed to being played. The music did not sound like ballroom music, and for a show called Welcome to the Ballroom, that is ridiculous, but I think it did start to improve later on, I guess them realizing the mistake. Animation during dance was also pretty bad, that there tended not to be a whole lot of effort into it. I understand it is probably hard, and I would maybe attribute last year's Yuri on Ice, which used fairly realistic movement, by proximity had to use tricks to try and portray the movements, or really the energy it wanted to interject.

I am kind of really up and down about parts. The anime I would most maybe compare to might be another sports anime with Haikyuu. But Haikyuu instead had me praise things like its animation for excitement and energy, and how it had me like pretty much every character, and really feel a sense of teamwork between the members. You would think it should be easier with just two people, but it doesn't.

Anyway, its ended, at least I think it is, so I will give it a rating of, So-so (5/10). To be honest it maybe had some upsides that would have me think more positive with it, and I might have even enjoyed parts of it, but I don't want to forget the problems I had, and I think misplaced ideas that I think could actually be a problem.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
This was a fantastic ending. It was fierce, colorful, and had a lot of attitude. It was also Tatara and Chinatsu's best performance imo and they pulled it off wonderfully.

Honestly, I felt like everyone was a winner at the end of the day there. Sure, there are different rankings but everyone enjoyed the very art of dancing and that's what is important.

The manga is still ongoing so who knows, maybe we can get some new anime someday. Very enjoyable show overall. Rating this as Very Good.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, liked this one, best of season I thought.... most issues or problems I had early on were taken care of within a couple of eps, such as Sengoku as coach... which he really isn't, and later had our MC go to a real one, that lady, the parent of Hyodo? I'm terrible remember character names. She's a judge as well, so it's easy to see how her kid started to dance, as most do, especially boys, which happens because their parents were dancers of some sort, and probably had a studio/taught... and they were there and learned by default... being one of the few or only boys in the class most likely.... maybe a little more in the large cities. I assume this is Tokyo? Not much ballroom taught in rural areas that I'm aware of... but there always seems to be a dance teacher/studio... with almost all girls in it... teaching everything, mostly the basics... but hip hop has really taken over, so that is mostly likely included in the mix... with cheerleading perhaps... but ballroom? that hasn't made it's move yet... it's gotten bigger, more money, but not that much that I'm aware of... they really need some films/actors to push it in that regard... this project could only help in that regard.
Others have mentioned the other female dancer in our MC's grade at school... which I think the mangaka has put on the backburner, for later use, which is why she's mostly a background character with her partner, Hyodo?... setting up later competition between them... as Hyodo grew up at his mom's study, a prodigy of sorts, which is typical in dance especially.... not many boys in it, especially young ones for the girls to pair up with... which brings out that other story line of our MC female lead and her issues... another dominant personality type which is seems most of those that go pro have on display.... almost have to, to compete at that level for any length of time.
We also had a couple of eps at the end on their main competition at that event, the 'traditionally' trained, serious types... as comparison to the young and flashy, same as Sengoku was... and which Hyodo? never was? starting so young.... picking up the basics early... compared to our MC male lead who seems to be a 'natural', still picking up the basics but fast and furious... maturing his personality simultaneously.... bringing him out of his shell... from the bullies to the need to 'lead' or show off on stage etc... essentially the opposite of his former self.... we are seeing a condensed version it seems in this anime... which is typical for this genre... getting the MCs up to speed for the main event. If he wasn't a natural, he most likely wouldn't have stayed interested in it at his age and temperment.. at least not enough for competition level dancing.
I like most of the setups... the new coach is seasoned and experienced, knows her stuff... I think she was a former competitor, right? Most are.... almost have to be... which was a problem for that 'serious' pair.. and their late switch to a new coach.... all of which is typical in sports at this level... sending the kid/s off to the town/city with the best coach/s... which is usually expensive like gymnastics or ice skating... most of the 'organized' sports are done through colleges/minor leagues feeding the pro level.... which subsidizes them to varying extents.
I agree with everyone, it's too bad they didn't have the budget for better animation of the dance sequences... so they focused on character developmentby obscuring the other pairs and giving us an insight into their mindset/thoughts as they dance. I never watched Yuri on Ice... heard the animation was good... just not into the gay stuff.... which is a facet in ice skating moreso than in ballroom obviously... which is why it's singles in that sport... same issue in most sports it seems, even professionally.... pairs are usually done by hetros... yes, there are specialty events/competitions, but it's not the same... to do so changes the sport, same on Dancing With The Stars... there are plenty of gay stars out there more than willing to join the cast I think, but the network doesn't want to go there, even in our norm pervisionary times... typical for imperial end-times.

Anyway, nice anime... hope it continues... with or without the manga... if she/he's sick, maybe a committee, which she/he can oversee. I assume this anime was ok'd by her/him, since it passed the manga a couple of chapters back?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1