• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
New Game! (TV). (Season 1& 2)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I rated this show Very Good. For me, it was a show about cute girls that also delivered on the humour in an engaging way. Sorry, I'd write more, but I'm feeling under the weather.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
New Game is back!

Season 2, episode 1:

It's really nice to see everyone back again. We have Nene and Umiko having some ice cream together which I thought was cute. The project "Nene Quest" also was discussed. As expected, Umiko still has her airsoft guns that she brings to work. (I still find that gimmick to be hilarious tbh)

Episode ended with a picnic and damn, these girls really know how to enjoy life. Nice episode, really enjoyed the return of New Game!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I was actually worried about how Nene would be integrated with this season, since presumably the role in season one would not be there, and yet she had kind of found a part in the show. So I like that she has found a way to stay relevant.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Cute Girls Making Cute Games. Really happy to have this sequel. I am a little disappointed that Aoba didn't become a senpai - it would have been fun to be introduced to a new character.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
It was nice to see these characters again, especially because (frankly) a new season of this series was just about the last thing I expected when it ended last year.

I liked that Aoba wasn't the only one to come in to work expecting new hires, but I'm guessing that'll change soon enough (and didn't they also hire some part-timers after Aoba last series? Don't they count?). I also like that they directly addressed the fact that the entire company seems to be female, and provided the obvious explanation.

Last season they sort of implied EagleJump's next project was going to be the next Fairies Story title, but this year that seems to have disappeared, so I'm assuming that project has been put on hold. Whatever the next project turns out to be, I'm betting Aoba will land the job of character designer (c'mon, she's the MC!) and live to regret it.

Nice opening for the new season. Looking forward to where this season takes us.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 2

It was quite the narrative scene that Ko was criticised for her designs being too similar to Fairies Story, which essentially meant all of her designs were rejected. Clearly a frustrating moment, and creating a sort of tension where Aoba got a thumbs up for one of her design ideas that was her doing a random scribble. I think what is kind of cool about this design idea of apparently a cute girl cutting into plushie monsters to wear as a suit is how it sort of fits into Aoba's character. Kind of underneath the general pleasing and nice face of Aoba, she has a bit of a sadistic cute side. It was first hinted at by her teasing Nene in the first season, a bit of a joke with Hifumi worried about Aoba being mean (sadist), the OVA kind of pushed it further with the snowmen, and we got it this episode with what she was doing with her eraser. Honestly I think it is a fun part of her personality, and I wonder if it is expected to come through with her work as a co-character designer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
@ DP - thanks for mentioning the OVA because I hadn't been aware of it. I just watched a crappy fansub version, but I got the idea (why do fansubbers who clearly don't have a strong grasp of English even bother? I don't get it.). It was interesting to see Yagami have to deal with having her designs rejected. She was once the new hire who rose out of the blue - must be hard to be on the other side of that equation.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
underneath the general pleasing and nice face of Aoba, she has a bit of a sadistic cute side.

She even teased Yagami (in the OVA) when they were in their futons (was it lightning Yagami was afraid of?). Even the producer (the owner of the cat) teased out loud she wanted to be on the receiving end of Aoba's sadistic side, then went on a coughing spree when Aoba returned to the room.

Blood- wrote:
(why do fansubbers who clearly don't have a strong grasp of English even bother? I don't get it.)

Easy, there is another group that just recently released the OVA with a good translation, it was just a matter of time. Just like there are people that want the fame of posting "first comment" and nothing more, there are people that want that know they are doing a subpar translation, but they want to have the "first release" achievement. Sadly pirate webstreaming sites always use the first release, even if they know it is crappy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I gotta hang out with a better class of pirates. Wink

Actually, I wish North American legitimate streaming platforms were better at picking up OVAs. Especially, Crunchyroll. They are getting a little bit better, but I honestly don't know why they don't get OVAs for shows they have previously streamed on a more regular basis.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I wish North American legitimate streaming platforms were better at picking up OVAs.

ATM our only hope is that Hidive makes Crunchy worry a bit and make them start thinking again "what else can I do to please our userbase". Netlfix and Amazon are too big and removed from the fanbase to make Crunchy worry. But Hidive is too slow on my list of minimums to get my subscription. Also, many people might get mad since the stream of many OVAs will be in SD since they were only released in DVD.

Back to episode 2, it was quite touching how Yagami bit one of her ovaries and helped Aoba, being above one's pride is a huge step imo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

Hifumi trying to point Ko towards Rin's feelings while a jealous Rin watches on. Quite a bit of what I would say yuri bait this episode, but it is just stopping short of straight up saying that Rin is in love with Ko. With Hifumi, as a fellow person with social anxiety and that I am soon starting up my first work like role in the place of a volunteer, this series has been kind of coming to mind, just as Hifumi is working to overcome her weaknesses.

And indeed, the game having that girl turn the bears into suits totally fits Aoba that she was having too much fun with it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:32 am Reply with quote
DP, are you going to bring a pillow with you to take a nap when dealing with other people gets too exhausting? It was a Hifumi-centric episode whch I liked. I like all the characters, but I have a soft spot for Hifumi and her struggles with social anxiety. I don't suffer from it myself, but I sympathize with her plight. I'm glad it worked out that she ended up sitting with friends at the Moon Galaxy event.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Kinda wish some one would acknowledge that their game is basically about murdering people and wearing their skin to murder even more Laughing
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Kinda wish some one would acknowledge that their game is basically about murdering people and wearing their skin to murder even more Laughing

You mean like this?

http://jollyjack.deviantart.com/art/Computer-Book-519052214

Twisted Evil
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

A mid season ED change, that is pretty rare, I guess to do with the new characters, which will have me looking if there will be a new OP next week. Nene getting hired by the company as well as to others.. Gotta love the cat scene, that old cat is hilarious, and as he jumping over Christina, later revealing that the director set her up by putting catnip in a bag.

Kind of an interesting milestone actually happened for myself today which I can compare to this series and or this episode. I started my first I guess job, although it was kind of done as volunteer, I think it was also kind of put out as technically a once weekly office internship. I could really look back at it as feeling of anxious similar to Aoba starting, and the feeling that I am dragging people down as I was trying to understand what I was supposed to do. But also some reception that if I do well enough I could find a place in the accounting section. I guess the new hire sort of thing is fresh in my mind as of writing this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5