• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Studio Ghibli's Full Catalog for Blu-ray/DVD Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Kosaka wrote:
I hope GKIDS will announce whether or not the Disney dubs will be on the new releases, or whether that's yet to be determined. If Disney has rights to the dubs, I would guess that GKIDS would have to negotiate a separate deal with Disney, if both parties were interested in making such a deal. If Ghibli has full rights to the dubs, then GKIDS would presumably be getting those dubs and they could announce that fact.

I think Disney still has the rights to the dubs -- they did, after all, produce them. And yes, they WILL be retained on the BDs.

I doubt it. It's gonna be redubbed anyhow. So yeah.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
^

Didn't you see the new cover art of these DVD BDs by GKids? THEY ARE NOT. REDUBBING. THE MOVIES.

PERIOD.

They're using the dubs Disney has done.

[Edit]: see my comments on the previous page. Errinundra.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Afraid not. I definitely doubt it at all.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
^
I see they're still using the Totoro art with the two sisters composited into one girl. :sigh:
Atleast the Mononoke cover has San on it now, like a lot of other countries' releases do.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Yes, Kiki's dub was commissioned by Ghibli for those flights. The Porco dub was also produced for the same purpose, but Streamline may not have been involved with it.

They weren't involved with the previous dubs of either Porco Rosso OR Castle in the Sky. Both were done very quickly and primarily for Japan Airlines, which explains both turned out the way they did. (Seriously, here's a comparison clip of the JAL dub of Castle VS the Disney one: https://vimeo.com/30591046) I know Magnum did the first Castle dub, but I'm not sure who did the first Porco dub. Either way, both pale compared to their Disney counterparts: the former suffers from many laughable and stilted bits of dialogue: "Now say bye-bye!" and the latter is just plain bad all around: "The dirty rotten sc-u-u-u-um" and "Buzz off, sausage breath!"

[Edit]: ditto.

The only Ghibli dub that has any connection with Streamline Pictures is the original Totoro English dub.
In the Carl Macek audio interview that ANN did years ago -- might have been one of his last before he died --, he was very clear that this was the only Ghibli title he supervised the dub on.

The dub was done on the behest of Ghibli for the Troma Pictures' theatrical exhibition of Totoro theatrically in the US.
Yeah, it was THAT Troma -- the guys who produced the Toxic Avenger movies!

As far as a lot of early DVD adopters are concerned, we're the only guys that have the original Totoro English dub on 5-inch disc. The earlier LD releases of Studio Ghibli movies in Japan had the first-generation English dubs for the pre-Disney Ghibli deals... I don't know if any of these dubs have been released as alternate audio tracks on anything LEGAL outside or inside of Japan on DVD.

I really don't expect GKids to release any of the Ghibli films with the original pre-Disney English dubs -- unless a bunch of people ask for that but I doubt they will if they're even aware of those dubs.

Among anime distributors in the US, I've noticed very few companies bother with releasing alternate English tracks on their releases aside from the limited DVD releases of the first two Gatchaman dubs/edits. Discotek has had alternate English dubs for the Lupin III features that had them (Castle of Cagliostro, Secret of Mamo) and Media Blasters also released both dubs of Giant Robo -- the original Manga Video version and their own in-house English dub. The most recent example of an alternate English dub made available is the Funimation release of Akira which brought back the 1988 dub. That's the first US release that had both English dub tracks on it.
There's probably upwards of at least a half-dozen other theatrical features or OVAs that have at least two existing English dubs. The best known aside from Akira is probably Vampire Hunter D -- that OVA has dubs from both Streamline and Section 23.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
If you want to believe that, go right ahead.

But there's no reason to assume that it's going to happen.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
If you want to believe that, go right ahead.

But there's no reason to assume that it's going to happen.

Yeah, well, that is, just like, you know, your opinion, man.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
A friend of mine actually emailed GKIDS asking a few things about their releases...

^Straight from the horse's mouth there. "We are using what is Ghibli-blessed as the "studio approved version". Ergo, they are not making a new dub. Though interestingly, another comment from them on Twitter said that they'd be using specifically what's on the Japanese BDs, which probably means that the English track for Laputa will be using the reorchestrated, expanded soundtrack from Disney's first releases of the movie. The one that they themselves stopped using in subsequent releases. Because yeah, the Japanese BD of that movie still has that soundtrack, in an actually unique mix of the dub that's also removed much of Disney's added dialogue (which Disney themselves also removed in subsequent re-releases, but there was never a Disney release with the revised soundtrack that didn't also have all the extra dialogue).
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
A friend of mine actually emailed GKIDS asking a few things about their releases...

^Straight from the horse's mouth there. "We are using what is Ghibli-blessed as the "studio approved version". Ergo, they are not making a new dub. Though interestingly, another comment from them on Twitter said that they'd be using specifically what's on the Japanese BDs, which probably means that the English track for Laputa will be using the reorchestrated, expanded soundtrack from Disney's first releases of the movie. The one that they themselves stopped using in subsequent releases. Because yeah, the Japanese BD of that movie still has that soundtrack, in an actually unique mix of the dub that's also removed much of Disney's added dialogue (which Disney themselves also removed in subsequent re-releases, but there was never a Disney release with the revised soundtrack that didn't also have all the extra dialogue).

Personally they're definitely gonna redub them anyhow, so yeah.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
**sigh** Even with the proof in front of you you still insist they are going to be redubbed.

You're really setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited by TurnerJ on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

The only Ghibli dub that has any connection with Streamline Pictures is the original Totoro English dub.
In the Carl Macek audio interview that ANN did years ago -- might have been one of his last before he died --, he was very clear that this was the only Ghibli title he supervised the dub on.

The dub was done on the behest of Ghibli for the Troma Pictures' theatrical exhibition of Totoro theatrically in the US.
Yeah, it was THAT Troma -- the guys who produced the Toxic Avenger movies!
This is not accurate. According to this article on Cartoon Research, Streamline made dubs of both Totoro and Kiki back in 1989 for Japan Airlines. Troma had nothing to do with the production of the Totoro dub and only acquired it in 1993. Their Kiki dub was not picked up.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Alright time to call it quits TurnerJ & michaeltanzer. Agree to disagree and move on both of you.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Among anime distributors in the US, I've noticed very few companies bother with releasing alternate English tracks on their releases aside from the limited DVD releases of the first two Gatchaman dubs/edits. Discotek has had alternate English dubs for the Lupin III features that had them (Castle of Cagliostro, Secret of Mamo) and Media Blasters also released both dubs of Giant Robo -- the original Manga Video version and their own in-house English dub. The most recent example of an alternate English dub made available is the Funimation release of Akira which brought back the 1988 dub. That's the first US release that had both English dub tracks on it.
There's probably upwards of at least a half-dozen other theatrical features or OVAs that have at least two existing English dubs. The best known aside from Akira is probably Vampire Hunter D -- that OVA has dubs from both Streamline and Section 23.

Didn't Sentai also put two dubs on their Grave of the Fireflies releases?

Anyway, I am still interested if GKids will release Arrietty (and so far, nothing indicates they shouldn't) and if so, what dub/dubs will they use for that movie. AFAIK, the UK dub was actually co-produced by Ghibli, so, it wouldn't be too bold to state that is the approved Ghibli version, but then again, Japanese releases actually contained both UK and US dub, and GKids mentioned they want to use what was on Japanese discs. It seems so confusing to me, right now, to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5