• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Apocrypha (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
May I remind that Grand Order rarity has little bearing to how strong the Servant is. Heracles would still beat all the Servants shown this far with the probable exception of Karna. High rarity is given to Servants that DW expects to be popular.
It is of course expected that the Mage Association has access to much better catalysts than Ygdmillenia.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
Personally I wish they used Atalanta's first stage design rather than her 2nd...

Finally pulled a 5 star servant last night. It was ARRRRRRTHUUUURRR!!!
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Personally I wish they used Atalanta's first stage design rather than her 2nd...

Finally pulled a 5 star servant last night. It was ARRRRRRTHUUUURRR!!!

I got stupid lucky and may have spent my luck meter for the year, I got Vlad, Waver, AND Gilgamesh @.@
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

I got stupid lucky and may have spent my luck meter for the year, I got Vlad, Waver, AND Gilgamesh @.@

Congrats. I had actually gotten a bunch of 5 star craft essences before this and that kind of annoyed me. But everyone is insistent that you don't need 5 stars to do well, but considering this is a gatcha game where the whole point is to make you pull for better characters to deal with harder content, I doubt that.

Well, I have fun with my Lancelot. Marie is nice too.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Please keep discussion to the anime in the thread title. If you want to talk about other anime or other games take it elsewhere. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4
This is an important episode for new comers, the Heroic Spirits can act out their own will and are not mindless robots as there title of Servant may imply.

Astolfo as a character is amusing to watch as well as having a noble heart trying to act on a whim to save Sieg.

The first episode may have been a miss step in highlighting "things to come", but so far the show has seemed to create a pace that for this viewer will be intriguing enough to continue.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
May I remind that Grand Order rarity has little bearing to how strong the Servant is. Heracles would still beat all the Servants shown this far with the probable exception of Karna. High rarity is given to Servants that DW expects to be popular.
It is of course expected that the Mage Association has access to much better catalysts than Ygdmillenia.

It was a joke post lol. i don't even know who will win the war.
I just feel like the Red side is alot more powerful. Good thing Red only has Shakespeare, but Merlin.
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
Red team is full of SSR Servants and one throw away servant. Black team is F2P, there is no way that they can win.

But Atalanta is only SR! (And Chiron, Achilles, and Semiramis are still unknown, although Semi is pretty much guaranteed to be SSR.) But yeah, Black Team is pretty sumanai.

That reminds me, no Mordred this week makes me sad.

For the unenlightened, what do the abbreviations F2P, SR, and SSR mean? If I can hazard a guess, I would say they have something to do with the characters traits, performance, or playability in the video game, with F2P meaning 'Free to Play". But the others I can't figure out. Confused
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Those are from Fate/Grand Order.

SR = Super Rare = 4* Servant
SSR = Super Super Rare = 5* Servant.

Here is an example post by Aniplex in facebook. You will see SSR in this image.
https://www.facebook.com/FateGO.USA/photos/a.956270927862274.1073741828.942195675936466/1008964655926234/?type=3&theater
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Those are from Fate/Grand Order.

SR = Super Rare = 4* Servant
SSR = Super Super Rare = 5* Servant.

Here is an example post by Aniplex in facebook. You will see SSR in this image.
https://www.facebook.com/FateGO.USA/photos/a.956270927862274.1073741828.942195675936466/1008964655926234/?type=3&theater

OK. Thanks for the clarification Smile
Etrien

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
But as was mentioned above, the SR/SSR designation doesn't actually mean anything outside of Fate/Grand Order. In the game the servant's strength (and thus rarity) is directly related how much they think players will spend to get that servant, so popular waifu = super strong.

For Fate/Apocrypha, I suspect - and hope - that the servants' relative strength will be lore, plot, and master dependent. And, likewise, hope they all have their moments to shine. Fate/Zero did a great job of that. Apocrypha has more servants, but does at least have two cours to do it. Siegfried should have been a top-tier servant (in lore), so I'm curious to see what this new twist will make of his power.

Also, kind of surprised we've only seen a brief cameo of the Assassin of Black so far. Although maybe it's for the best - let people get hooked(?) first, since she's probably gonna be the show's biggest "must be able to tolerate THIS much anime" barrier to entry.

Edit:
Vaisaga wrote:

Apocrypha uses her original design. FGO's first stage was made just for that game (although I keep my Atalanta in first stage as well).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
But as was mentioned above, the SR/SSR designation doesn't actually mean anything outside of Fate/Grand Order. In the game the servant's strength (and thus rarity) is directly related how much they think players will spend to get that servant, so popular waifu = super strong.

For Fate/Apocrypha, I suspect - and hope - that the servants' relative strength will be lore, plot, and master dependent. And, likewise, hope they all have their moments to shine. Fate/Zero did a great job of that. Apocrypha has more servants, but does at least have two cours to do it. Siegfried should have been a top-tier servant (in lore), so I'm curious to see what this new twist will make of his power.

Also, kind of surprised we've only seen a brief cameo of the Assassin of Black so far. Although maybe it's for the best - let people get hooked(?) first, since she's probably gonna be the show's biggest "must be able to tolerate THIS much anime" barrier to entry.

Edit:
Vaisaga wrote:

Apocrypha uses her original design. FGO's first stage was made just for that game (although I keep my Atalanta in first stage as well).

na, some 4* is stronger than 5* in FGO. if it's on Fate lore, Karna is supposed to be on Gilgamesh's level. Gilgamesh has to fight seriously when he faces Karna . Karna probably can wiped all the Black side. Mordred should be at Artoria Pendragon level.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
But why's everyone taking Siegfried's death so literally? The opening fight in episode 1 (ostensibly a flash-forward) showed him fighting Mordred, so we're definitely going to see him again.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:34 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
But why's everyone taking Siegfried's death so literally? The opening fight in episode 1 (ostensibly a flash-forward) showed him fighting Mordred, so we're definitely going to see him again.

From what we've seen so far, this series has yet to break any of the rules set by the original franchise and followed by Urobochi Gen's work. Siegfried is a Saber-class servant, so if he gives up something like his heart (which is fatal for all servants with human physiologies) that's it for him. Looking at Astolfo's reaction after he made the offer, it's a heavy hint if not confirmation that Siegfried is out of the picture for the black faction.

As for the episode 1 battle, I gave my thoughts in an earlier post but will need to wait until future episodes to see if my hypothesis is proved correct.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Remember that a factor in a servant's power level is also how well known they are in modern times. I'm a pretty average guy and I've never heard of that Karna dude so I doubt the common populace knows him either. But everyone knows King Arthur, Alexander the Great, and Jack the Ripper (though I think the formless berserker he's summoned as in Fate/Strange Fake is a better idea than some random loli).

So on the black side you got Frankenstein's monster, Jack, and Vlad who are widely known by everyone (Vlad in particular is more powerful since they're in the country that worships him as a hero). The reds have Achilles, Spartacus and Shakespeare (though Willy isn't known for being a powerful combatant). Mordrid too I guess but that part of Arthurian legend isn't that we'll known by filthy casuals like myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13