• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Gets Live-Action Hollywood TV Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I think the main reason is because it's a show about pirates. They've also practically exhausted all the well-known superheroes that aren't tied up in rights and need something else to adapt.

If they follow the story from the beginning it could be a while before they even get to Sanji. The first season will likely only deal with Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, Nami, Robin and Sanji, if that. I would also expect the first season would only deal with the East Blue.

Chopper would require a lot of animation so they would probably want to avoid him at first. Frankie could have to change his outfit, although they would likely take some time getting to him. I wouldn't expect him to be in the first season. Brook could also be difficult and might be shown in human form. But he also wouldn't show up until later.

Brook and Chopper would certainly be the most difficult but with CGI these days anything can look good enough to be passable. Though I could see Chopper being some sort of puppet CGI hybrid.

Franky is probably doable if you found the right practical effects and porstetics person to make the arms. His arm functionallity like the guns would almost certainly have to be Computer Generated but you could practical effect the base model arms.

The other species wouldn't be took hard given the stunning makeup effects available these days, you could definitely make believable fishmen, Mermaids and Minks without too much issue, the only species that would be awkward would be the Giants, you'd have to make them look big but not comically so that they make the other characters hard to focus on.

Also Robin doesn't show up till after East Blue so if you assume Season 1 shows up to Arlong or Lougetown she wouldn't be in it at all.

Still this was just the announcement we know nothing about script or director which will be the keys to knowing the direction this will take.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
"NO! I want this to be adapted in animated form only?"

Ummm then just watch the anime?

Calico wrote:
One Piece is waaay too cartoon-y to ever work in live-action without it looking ridiculous.

Hollywood adapted The Mask and Super Mario Bros., It shouldn't be that complicated?

Saku-dono wrote:

I know One Piece hasn't fully invade America yet but it's already the best-selling manga of all time. This is so unnecessary!

Look it from this perspective, if this happens and it becomes a success it will accomplish what fans have dreamed for years to have happen with the manga and anime, and that's being popular,

SpaceTheGamer wrote:
Who thought that this was good idea!?!?!? Have they learned nothing about how adapting manga/anime into live-action never works and espexially if they're battle shonens!?!?!

...We've only had two battle shonens adapted into live action works in the states one of which wasn't even mainstream.

Somer-_- wrote:
Just don't be bad. No need for OP to have a rough time of it in the west.

Again?

Exalted Incarnate wrote:
A JoJo live action series would have worked better. Especially if it is in the hands of Hollywood.

I like JoJo as much as the next guy but between it being relatively obscure, a top of Araki's shaky writing, and the infamous cheesiness?

It'd be easier to try and make it rain for a week in Southern California.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Um...

https://funko.com/products/pop-animation-one-piece-luffy

They also have Ace, Chopper and Law.

Ah, nice! I've seen massive collections of the Funko toys but never One Piece anything on any of the shelves, despite having some stuff way more obscure than One Piece, so I thought there weren't any.

They already have themed weddings, amusement park attractions, and at least one video game, so that just leaves two left...
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Definitely wasn't expecting that! I'm honestly curious instead of WTF
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I'll call it now. This will eventually air on Fox and be canceled before the first season is even done with. So business as usual for them. Jokes aside I simply cannot see how they can make this into a tv series and have it actually work out. It's not a matter of having the technology, it's a matter of actually trying hard enough. We already get phoned in anime adaptations in movies but they want to turn this into a tv show?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Anyone even remotely connected to this idea should be institutionalized and sedated.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Hollywood adapted The Mask and Super Mario Bros. It shouldn't be that complicated?

This... I don't even know how to react to this thought. You're going to bring up the Super Mario Bros. movie as a POSITIVE example of how it's NOT complicated?

The Mask required animating ONE character really wacky on top of live-action. One Piece is literally an entire world full of fantastically weird-looking creatures, people, and environments. This is going to look like a baby in a meat grinder.

If you're going to adapt a manga/anime for live-action, it may be better to pick something that lends itself to live-action a little better than f***ing ONE PIECE. Black Lagoon comes to mind. Gunsmith Cats. Even Baccano would make more sense. Samurai Champloo. 91 Days. Michiko and Hatchin. But ONE PIECE?

Whatever. I'm not the biggest fan of OP to begin with, so it's no big loss to me if it sucks. But it just seems like a perplexing choice to adapt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fenrin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
That reminds me, what's going on with the live action Sword Art Online show? When that happens I'll believe this'll happen.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
So will Chopper be:

-animated CGI, like those M&M commercials
-Realistic CGI, like the Paddington Bear movie
-or a kid actor in a fursuit
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
If Hollywood wants to keep cashing in on the planned live-action adaptations of anime or manga, try starting with Western-based series that are likely to have a good audience here. Here is a lesser known 90s manga that could have some success.It's called "Blaster Knuckle". A series that is only 3 volumes long means it should not be stuck in development limbo.

From its manga-updates page:
Quote:
Take yourself back to the 1880s where the KKK is thriving and the African American community lives in fear. The African Americans don't fear the KKK simply because they beat, rape, and kill them. No. They fear the KKK because the KKK eats them. They are the aptly named man-eaters, a kind of mix between werewolves and vampires. They consume human flesh, can shapeshift into various forms, and are practically immortal. Only one man, an ex-heavyweight boxer named Victor Freeman, dares to stand up to them. Equipped with a small arsenal and a set of modified brass knuckles, can our hero defend his people and avenge his past?

Some of the pages comments include how it is basically a manga version of blaxpoitation movie and that it was a historically accurate depiction of 19th century American South.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
penguin: There's also the Kevin Sorbo Hercules, Xena, Jack of All Trades, Black Sails and the current live-action Tick.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="penguintruth"]
This... I don't even know how to react to this thought. You're going to bring up the Super Mario Bros. movie as a POSITIVE example of how it's NOT complicated?

Not complicated in terms of adapting something that's cartoony if we're talking special effects with regards to something like Luffy's stretching (which would look weird anyway you slice it.) Complicated in adapting something that's well known for it's crazy worldbuilding, complex characters, hectic fights all within the space of a TV show?......that's different even adapting it into a movie would be a nightmare..

penguintruth wrote:

The Mask required animating ONE character really wacky on top of live-action. One Piece is literally an entire world full of fantastically weird-looking creatures,

You could easily disregard things like the Lapahn's and Laboon, but yeah things like the fishmen, Shirahoshi, The Giants, and even some of the Zoan users would be next to impossible to do on the budget of a tv show.

penguintruth wrote:
If you're going to adapt a manga/anime for live-action, it may be better to pick something that lends itself to live-action a little better than f***ing ONE PIECE. Black Lagoon comes to mind. Gunsmith Cats. Even Baccano would make more sense.

Well sure though none them are as well known nor have the level of prominence as One Piece, they also would be fairly safe and you know how people like to whine about Hollywood not taking risks.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Here is a lesser known 90s manga that could have some success.It's called "Blaster Knuckle". A series that is only 3 volumes long means it should not be stuck in development limbo.

The Akira movie is close to 3 hours long and yet the live action adaptation has been in development hell for about 7 years or so.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Some of the pages comments include how it is basically a manga version of blaxpoitation movie and that it was a historically accurate depiction of 19th century American South.

Well minus the fact that the actual KKK weren't actual cannibals.......or literal monsters.
passer by

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

One Piece has not yet had its own Monopoly board game, pinball machine, or Funko POP! figures. Metallica pulled that off recently.

One Piece have all of that, they even have a 24-karat gold figs, you'd be surprised on how many OP merchandises out there in the wild and on how popular this property is, that's what Hollywood is aiming for, those $.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Everyone is expecting this to look like Game of Thrones.

When it's probably gonna look like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys or Renegade.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
passer by wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

One Piece has not yet had its own Monopoly board game, pinball machine, or Funko POP! figures. Metallica pulled that off recently.

One Piece have all of that, they even have a 24-karat gold figs, you'd be surprised on how many OP merchandises out there in the wild and on how popular this property is, that's what Hollywood is aiming for, those $.

While I have been shown the POP! figurines, the others, I know as a fact, do not exist, as I monitor recent releases of the other two pretty closely. For the latter, in particular, there has not been a release of an arcade-sized pinball machine of any anime property (the closest there's been is Godzilla, which was based on the 1996 movie--the only other Japanese franchises to have a pinball machine are Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter II, and Transformers the last of which is based on the Michael Bay movies).
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
passer by wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

While I have been shown the POP! figurines, the others, I know as a fact, do not exist, as I monitor recent releases of the other two pretty closely. For the latter, in particular, there has not been a release of an arcade-sized pinball machine of any anime property (the closest there's been is Godzilla, which was based on the 1996 movie--the only other Japanese franchises to have a pinball machine are Super Mario Bros., Street Fighter II, and Transformers the last of which is based on the Michael Bay movies).

I believe they got a pinball machine at the theme park that opened up recently but the monopoly thing is only fan-made, nothing legit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6