• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: No Game, No Life Zero

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
This review just makes want to see this more and more.

If this is movie is as good as it says in the review. The fandom will keep rising and a season 2 will come. However i am happy just with this for now. Now i just have to wait for the bd release to see it. huh it will be a while T.T haha.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Here's to hoping Crunchy picks it up.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Here's to hoping Crunchy picks it up.

Unlikely, Sentai licensed it.

I'm just hoping Sentai screens this in sub too cause with GuP Der they did dub-only screenings...
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness for this awesome review. I read vol 6 a few years back and was hoping they wouldn't mess it up. Glad to see that was the case.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
I knew this movie would be good, I just knew it. Someone who has seen this movie, please answer without spoiling too much: how good was the scene where Tet appears?

Also, just so people know: the mani characters of this movie have absolutely nothing to do with Sora and Shiro. They are not ancestors, not are Shiro and Sora their reincarnations. Tet has stated in the LN that souls do not reincarnate.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
dang sounds like this is a really good movie.
I did get a bit frustrated with the unnecessary and distracting fanservice in the original as it was definitely funny but use it too much and it gets old fast.
Definitely wanted to see how Jibril was in the past since she was supposed to be the strongest and most brutal of her race(i think? been so long since the anime)
Is the stuff from the movies covered in the light novels and which ones if they are?
Cause I've got volumes 1-5 sitting in my cupboard, just waiting for a bunch to pile up to binge read em.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
dang sounds like this is a really good movie.
I did get a bit frustrated with the unnecessary and distracting fanservice in the original as it was definitely funny but use it too much and it gets old fast.
Definitely wanted to see how Jibril was in the past since she was supposed to be the strongest and most brutal of her race(i think? been so long since the anime)
Is the stuff from the movies covered in the light novels and which ones if they are?
Cause I've got volumes 1-5 sitting in my cupboard, just waiting for a bunch to pile up to binge read em.

The movie adapts LN vol 6. And Jibril is the youngest and strongest of her race.
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The anime was great, and if it surpasses that then we're talking a masterpiece of a movie.
When can the gaijins get a hold of it?
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I have some serious issues with the main series of No Game No Life - mostly the aforementioned predatory nature of Sora and Shiro in a lot of their actions, as well as the creator's obsessions with loli-fanservice- but this film has been one of my most anticipated purely because of how it jumps away from those situations and allows some of the better parts of the franchise to shine through wholeheartedly (the world, the races, the conflicts).

Hopefully we get a decent release here in the west as I'm eagerly anticipating watching this. The review has confirmed my hopes that it would be outstanding and I'm excited to find a chance to watch this myself.
Crext

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
I have some issues with the main series of No Game No Life - mostly the -fanservice-

I found the whole fanservice parts more as poking fun more than meant to actually be fanservice, but that's just what I saw on the subject. However, there should be more of us that manages to overlook the minor things like that and still enjoy the show for it's strong part. I mean, no show is 100% in accordance to everyone's preferences 100% of the time, and if it was then all shows would be the same.

I remember simply loving Lord of the Rings, but "hating" Frodo and Bilbo Baggins. They were just sooo gay together. And it wasn't that I dislike the demographics that found their relationship "ok", but for me it was just too silly, and basically the equivalent of two guys looking at each other and blushing every time their eyes meet. Never the less I found the movie amazing, and I even liked both Frodo and Bilbo as characters in the end of it all, because the quality of their adventure was second to none.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
So, wait...there's NO creepy brother-sister loli "Oh God, Japan, will you please just stop it???" Creep Factor? Wow.
Darkslayer18

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
"It takes all the interesting themes of the original TV series and peels away all the fanservice and frivolities"

Now this makes me not want to watch the movie. Unlike many, what I actually like about the original series is its shameless usage of fanservice for comedic effect. NGNL was never supposed to be a serious show, it's stupid, over the top but also has tons of fun. I may sound judgemental, but I would not like an NGNL that goes for the serious route.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I loved the TV series. Fan service and all. Hopefully a second season will maintain that, if we ever get one.

The movie tonally sounds much different. Sort of like the difference between Alien and Aliens.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, sounds like this one's a winner. Can't wait =) Now I just have to decide if I should re-watch the series before or after the movie.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
They removed fanservice holy shit AOTY - ANN
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2