• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
KonoSuba – God’s Blessing on This Wonderful World!! (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9

Oh Aqua, she is unfortunately a detriment to actually being involved in her hot springs, and her people are not exactly nice to her. And she needs them. Aqua had the episode, I think among my favourite jokes were her with Wiz, or Wiz being killed by accident. There was something nice about her being devoted back on her followers, and all the mood killers. She said that she hated undead and "devil girls", undead sounds like Wiz, and devil girls I can only think of the succubi.

But this being a "hot spring episode", there was some bathing, so time with Kazuma. I think it was actually kind of interesting how they added that thing that was like water going over a lens of a camera. Most of the joke was at Kazuma's expense of him being a bit of a creep. Especially liked how Megumin and Darkness waited out to catch him and they got in a fight over the fence with him shooting water over and them throwing various other things, like buckets and the cat.

Little sad only one episode left of the season.

I don't know why, but I feel like there is probably something big about that lady he was staring at, her ally also got focused on. Like I think maybe she is another god, or more based on her features that she is another general of the demon king.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
Do we know for a fact that there is only 1 eppie left, DP? I know the first season was only 10, but right now neither ANN Encyclopedia or MAL is stating how many there are.

My favourite part of the episode was when Kazuma was staring at the hot chick in the mixed bath and when she commented on it, his flat "Don't mind me." I wonder who that guy with her was, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10 (finale)

Yep, only 10 episodes again. But the animation budget this time was pretty big this time, especially on Aqua's end, we get to see the true power of God blow, the "useless" move Aqua used against the frog in the first fight that did nothing. And Wiz too, seeing her angry was down right awesome, and her views on mortality of certain groups is respectable, even with the irony of being a lich. It was a great finale, and the best that Aqua has come across, but she did not seem to get the reward she deserved.

I said a bit earlier that I was not feeling this season as much as the first, but I do have to put some provisions in there. What this second season did better than the first was in production, in that it fully embraced what made it visually interesting and continued it on. I have seen a fair share of videos around where people in the know had heard complaints of animation and were fighting against them not knowing what they were talking about. There is some sort of animator ideal that staying on model is really not what is best is not staying on model but stretching and being to really conveying the emotion meant to be portrayed, at least one artist said he would try to not have the same pose twice, and Konosuba season 2 has seemed to embrace that but with faces. The faces or in general art has been a hilarious way it has made the show so fun. And that is what makes this show, it is fun.

Just stepping back, the thing I really truly like about this show is how bad our characters are, there are like no illusions that these are pure heroes who are the shining example of how to be a human being. They have all been flawed, but in spite of that they have morals, that we can relate to them despite them being exaggerated, we can enjoy when something goes their way, but also laugh when things don't from someone being an idiot. They can even be pretty bad to each other, but despite that they are friends, there was even a gag of it in this episode where they twist Darkness into a good mood by Kazuma saying that he can only treat her so roughly because he and the others are her friend rather than thinking of her status. It did play off that it was obvious manipulation, but I really don't think it should be understated that the way they can rip into each other makes their relationships fun and engaging, there is no building them up as some trophy. And on a personal level, I think the character that won for me in the second season has actually been Aqua, maybe I spent too much time earlier thinking of her as just as annoying but is a character I have thoroughly enjoyed in the second season. Not that all the characters really had their moments in this season, Darkness coming in next.

Although I really don't want this to be the end of Konosuba, specifically I feel like things are still open on Megumin's side, with the suspicious Chomusuke and her family kind of brought up (with her sister, but totally need the rest). I really have enjoyed this show in general, and the list of gags enjoyed this show would be too dang long, yet it is not like this is just a gag anime as the gags usually run together for the whole story, bit just one offs. I give the same rating of the first season as Very good (8/10).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Konosuba is the best comedy Harem series I have seen in a while.
It works out because the main girls are actual characters and not just flat clichés, you have a male lead that is relatable and not a flat generic guy that exists solely as a reader/viewer insert, the world is amusing and still familiar enough not to distract from some of the bizarre events that can occur.

The only thing "weak" is that it still has the regular DEEN "quality" of animation at times, but it still manages to work in its favor due to the often whimsical nature of the work.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Season 2, OVA

That, was kind of sad at the end, broke "poor" Kazuma's heart. Got a bit of a brick joke too from the first season, that the creator of the golem was spoiler[a perverted NEET who spent his time trying to create bishoujo robots, and is in fact the creator of the giant robot from the first season]. Meaning that if Aqua was the one who spoiler[gave him that broken power, she is somewhat responsible for the destruction by that thing].

Some funny stand outs, like Kazuma trying to act cool at the start with ordering, and then getting shown up with his order being nonsense, love the waitress clearly making fun of him. Or Megumin with the robot. Or Aqua so quickly motivated by treasure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Aqua's mad milk carton skillz were pretty impressive too. The robot and Darkness though... even I couldn't help but laugh at that, it was just so absurdly over the top. Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Ah, the ova just reminded me why I love this show so much. Poor old Kazuma... he really can never win, but he kinda deserves to be trashed so much. I think it was a recent episode of In Another World with My Smartphone where a female character used an explosion spell and it made me think of Megumin. We really need a third season, stat.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:02 am Reply with quote
Legend of Crimson (Movie)

Managed to get to watch the movie, and as expected it is hilarious. Would say my favourite part would have to be the reveal of the Crimson Demon spoiler[origins, that they were created by the same guy that made things like the destroyer, and is somewhat unflattering and was aware of their quirks.] Also the mention that the clan has had several spoiler[evil or dangerous entities that were sealed but were released]. The Crimson Demon village was just a fun setting for this movie.

Kind of obvious then that the main two characters of the movie are Megumin and Kazuma, still think that they are cute together, with Megumin beating Darkness. The end of the movie especially had a sweet moment. That is a great part of the show, all the random hijinks and craziness, with each ED being a calming song of simple pleasures and true companions.

I think that there were some jokes that erred a bit on poor taste, such as maybe making a joke about spoiler[Kazuma traumatized by being sexually assaulted by the orcs, and finding out that pretty lady Sylvia not only used to be a man but had the parts]. But I do see the funny side about a play on Kazuma's perverseness, it did not really make fun of Kazuma's manhood for the first, and the second just a clear deal breaker for Kazuma. Oh, but I did really like the joke Darkness spoiler[pretty much going comatose and broken upon learning there are no male orcs, implying she lost a deep dream of one day being assaulted by such a group], that is just on brand Darkness.

My rating is Excellent (9/10), pretty much exactly what I wanted out of a series that I love.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 am Reply with quote
I thought it was pretty good. When they fled the village, I was wondering why spoiler[the moai of Easter Island were there, until I realized they were actually a reproduction of the logo of Bandai's Emotion Music subsidiary. And it wasn't just a reference, but a plot element, the same way the Konami code was not "just a reference."] I got a kick out of that.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:27 am Reply with quote
I just watched the movie last night. It was cool. Damn, that moment spoiler[when Yunyun and Megumin joined hands to fire their (and village's) magic at Sylvia was awesome. The flashy animation and the music which seemed like a sort of epic remix of the Megumin's explosion magic theme made it into a scene rivaling the best battle shounen moments.] Friggin' awesome.

spoiler[I laughed so hard when Yunyun tried to hold on to the lie that she's part of Kazuma's party. Aqua and Megumin really twisted that knife by repeating that she's not part of the party. Poor Yunyun. I feel like Darkness got a bit sidelined in this movie though.]
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:16 am Reply with quote
After waiting so long, season 3 episode 1 felt less like a first episode and more like a mid-season episode introducing a new arc to me, and that was okay. I was just glad to see these characters again, and comfortably in character to boot. I didn't really get what was goin on with the sparkles and the "wind" references at first - maybe I was having an off anime day yesterday because I didn't engage with most of the anime I was watching very easily - but I thought Kazuma's PTSD from the chimera was pretty funny and I finally clicked with the springtime of life parody after the monastery plotline came into play.

There seemed to be some hint of Megamin becoming main girl, or at least a bit of a tonal shift there.

I enjoyed the plant siren, and it sounds like a trip to the royal capital is in the works.
You know things are going to get out of hand when Darkness is being the voice of common sense and restraint...
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:52 am Reply with quote
Did Kazuma really kill that monster off screen? That seems kind of dark for this series. Just steal her panties and move on, that is the Kazuma I know, not this cold blooded killer.

Anyway I am so happy to have this so back, been so long. They are still doing the same style as season 1 and 2, with the scene transaction and the next episode preview narration being cut off, which does surprise me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

There's something weird going on with me and sequels this season. Couldn't get through the first episode of Laid Back Camp 3, a title I had previously loved, and decided to drop it. Didn't even bother attempting Jobless II, Part 2 due to my hatred of Rudeus. Dropped Spice & Wolf remake after the first because I'm pretty sure Lawrence is gonna get on my last nerve. And didn't really vibe too much on the first episode of this, a franchise I absolutely adore. I think part of my problem was I didn't really understand Kazuma's deal. I didn't rewatch the last season so I don't feel up to speed. But I think part of it is that I might be getting tired of the Konosuba schtick. Not dropping this yet but won't hesitate to if I feel like it's not happening for me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
For me, I am still not a big fan of Kazuma apparently being traumatized because he apparently snuggled up with a woman who had a penis. That he was all okay being up in her boobs, but the moment he found out that she had a peepee hat it rocked his world so much that he then wanted to kill her, and apparently still haunting him. I don't understand it, and it seems pretty transphobic.

zfunk wrote:
Did Kazuma really kill that monster off screen? That seems kind of dark for this series. Just steal her panties and move on, that is the Kazuma I know, not this cold blooded killer.

To be fair, it wasn't just that she is a monster, but a killer that they were actually on a job to kill in the first place, who plans to kill in the future, and was actually trying to kill him if she saw an opening.

Blood- wrote:
Didn't even bother attempting Jobless II, Part 2 due to my hatred of Rudeus.

Ditto, I told myself I was done after the previous season. Trying to stick to shows I will actually like.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, THAT was the issue. Hey, Konosuba... 40 years ago called and would like its lame homosexual panic "comedy" back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9