• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In Another World With My Smartphone (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote

Season 01: In Another World With My Smartphone (TV)
Season 02: In Another World With My Smartphone (TV2)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 27 volumes, written by Patora Fuyuhara, illustrated by Eiji Usatsuka)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio:
Season 01: Production Reed
Season 02: J.C. Staff

Genres: adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance

Themes: harem, isekai

Plot Summary: After a freak accident involving some lightning winds up zapping him dead, 15-year-old Mochizuki Touya wakes up to find himself face-to-face with God. “I am afraid to say that I have made a bit of a blunder...” laments the old coot. But all is not lost! God says that he can reincarnate Touya into a world of fantasy, and as a bonus, he gets to bring his smartphone along with!

So begins Touya's adventure in a new, anachronistic pseudo-medieval world. Friends! Laughs! Tears! Inexplicable Deus ex Machina! He sets off on a journey full of wonder as he absentmindedly travels from place to place, following whatever goal catches his fancy. The curtains lift on an epic tale of swords, sorcery, and smartphone apps!

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: July 7, 2017 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, FUNimation

Season 02: April 3, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 12 episodes
Season 02: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
First episode is out on Crunchyroll now.

It felt really underwhelming imo mostly with the male protagonist (his personality just feels so plain) and visual quality. We got introduction of the Silhoueska siblings although I do expect the series to introduce more soon.

In terms of storytelling, I have mixed feelings about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I would say that this fits squarely as a guilty pleasure for me. I know that there are some quality issues here, that it is missing some personality, but I can't help but actually enjoy this. Although on that, this feels like exactly the sort of thing that Konosuba parodied, that he even had the opportunity to take an item to the new world, and he gets super specked out. He seems to have had nothing but a power fantasy so far, getting involved in two friendly and helpful girls who just invite him along, that it just feels kind of unearned next to examples of Kazuma and Subaru.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Yup, everything about this felt plain and unimaginative, but I still found myself kinda enjoying it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:07 am Reply with quote
Count me in as another "I know this ain't great, but I'm kind of enjoying it" viewer.

One thing I appreciated is the clear "this is what happened and this is why you will be in this new world" explanation. It would be nice if the show was funnier. Maybe that aspect will pick up.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
I thought I would be immune to this, but I think this might be too little content even for me. The joke about how Protagonist-kun is super-understanding of how awkward it must have been for God was great. But aside from the visual gag of them poking their heads through the wormhole, there was basically zero humor content after that. Would it kill them to have a little fun?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Are we really sure that that Konosuba is not a direct parody of this series? He even got a power in this episode which allows him to take objects at a distance, and is only mildly offered up how that could be used for perversion. Other than that, this main character is kind of missing some personality, that it felt like Kazuma's is a kind of humorous attempt to address, it is kind of crazy, but he is not the only one.

I am continuing to enjoy this a in a guilty pleasure way, but there are some bigger problems I am having with how this show is setting itself up, one part being that characters are missing some nuance to their personalities. They are all cookie cutter character without really anything that makes them actually feel like a person. The biggest sin I have been feeling is this show is kind of bastardising character desire, and or how much a character is willing to just come out and say. Maybe this is just getting my attention more, but in how as of recent I have been acting as a dungeon master and put quite a bit of thought in how in these type of fantasy settings an NPC should act, and there are some pretty big rules to follow. First is what a character wants, which on a basic scale might be something you want the heroes to do, the big but is that you need to consider what the NPC would think of the hero, which is that you cannot have an NPC just say their entire life story to a random stranger. A little bit of prodding should be required, which is that the heroes need to convince that they can actually help, especially in a delicate situation. This would be, there really should have been more for the heroes in this show to convince that they were worth the information they got from the duke about his wife.

And the next I feel was a sin for dimensions of a character is some thought really in how those characters should react with some scepticism and within their general own interests. Which by I mean a band of a noble and her decimated guard should react with some scepticism to a random group showing up, even if they helped them, the guard should still be worried about protection and find out the motives of the heroes. And for a noble, I think it should come in a couple flavours, either they will try to hide their significance, especially if say they are the niece of the king, or they would call on their authority to demand aid, being a noble should be more than a character title. But I also think in how the duke reacted to finding this band of adventurers, including an extraordinary Gary Stu. Rather than "Here is a reward for your actions", I was thinking it would have only made sense that this duke who was so desperate to find secrets of a lost magic spell that he sent out his daughter, that this guy should either outright try to hire him to within service, or become a formal patron. That is that rather than simply pay be done, he should recognise this pretty much almost too good to be true situation and take advantage for future gain from it, which it kind of pretended to do with saying it was capital for them, but it played out so laughably simple that there was no nuance to it.

Maybe I am being nit picky here, but especially here you are looking at something post Re:Zero, which was pretty huge on the character motivation side. Which in that show there was quite a bit of thought into how each character would react to the different impressions they got from the hero. Where even how genuine forthcoming they might seem at first, there was always a different side that they might show when actual trust could be earned. And why I am thinking relevant to the nobles part of this episode, was how Re:Zero especially handled things like nobility, how those involved had to be aware of the game of appearances, who are allies, and who are threats (which could extend from people trying to take advantage of them, trying to hurt them, or could be a liability in another way). Which to end a longwinded amount of writing, I don't think it makes sense that the brother of the king just to welcome a group of strangers like that to dine with him and just straight up say the number one personal thing that he is concerned about. As it stands I have watching people play some D&D recently, and it always takes me out when someone just comes out with that sort of personal information at the slightest prodding. If I had to rewrite the scene, I think disjoint saying outright about the blindness, but maybe with a bit of prodding reveal his daughter was trying to look for a particular type of nul magic, which in turn could have used the hero's ability to convince for more information.

But I guess that this is just me acting conceited like I actually know anything.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

This show is just weirdly enjoyable. Everything about this show is almost criminally generic but that's just kind of its charm. It's familiar, light hearted and kinda conflict free. I dunno, it's like.. pudding? Fun, simple and sweet while it lasts but not something you'd wanna consume bucket loads of.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree, Cam0. There is absolutely zero tension or suspense since you know that Touya will triumph effortlessly in any given challenge, but there is still something oddly entertaining about his OPness. I'm thinking this guy could even give Kirito from SAO a run for his money.
animecosplayer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought we are talking about the smartphone here I haven't expected that its the actual title of the anime. LOL Shocked Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
They have a boy who can cure all illnesses and detect poisons, and after saving the king they don't feel the need to keep this guy around? No, if you are the king or are worried about his safety you find his price and keep him an asset to be called. The princess having a weird intuition ability feels like a copout, and I could even theorise would not stop him from being some sort of sleeper agent to have power. Directly comparing this to another anime would be with Crusch from Re:Zero, who happened to have spoiler[a particular power to tell if someone is lying, but such an ability was a small part of her character where she had other tools for her duties]. And duties important because Crusch like the others around her took things very seriously. In particular seemed to be part that Crusch was a character who specifically was not forced to join some harem. Which feels like everything this princess character is makes the direct opposite approach: a naïve girl who puts full trust on initial use of her ability (could she not tell the bad guy of episode was bad?) and is allowed to go into needlessly dangerous situations without even a secret identity.

Was it just my imagination, or did she keep her arrows with the head of them at the top, so she grabs them arrow head first? Two of the characters used spells of different elements that were "spears", which seemed to actually make spears appear in the air and get the elements, come on most fantasy stuff would make the spear out of that element to show it as more of an elemental magic rather than I guess some sort of strangely specific conjuration. Of course the badass main character with a long white coat gets large celestial white tiger as a familiar of sorts.

But not to be too harsh, I am still enjoying it, I can just think of many other ways there could be improvements, and falls apart on its setting.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
I was poking around this thread to see what some opinions were, took one look at the show's key image and silently groaned.

His 'smart phone' is twinkling. In context with the rest of their faces... dumb surprise? Empty headed joy?... the phone comes off the smartest of the lot.

Wow. Fastest I've ever dropped a series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
IHis 'smart phone' is twinkling. In context with the rest of their faces... dumb surprise? Empty headed joy?... the phone comes off the smartest of the lot.

I look forward to the day when I actually understand a point you are making. It's obviously not going to be today, but perhaps soon?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Eh! He made a gun. That was practically painful in how chuuni that was, like Karamatsu level stuff. I also don't think rubber bullets work like that.

I want him to have one weakness. Like if I had that program ability, I think the obvious answer would be pranks. How can he even not think about being a bit of a dick to get a laugh out of doing something like make every chair used to vibrate, or have cutlery turn into spiders?
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Slip is so hilariously overpowered. I don't mind that Touya doesn't have any weaknesses. It's kinda fun seeing how people react to his ability to almost be able to do anything. And it's kinda fun seeing how he'll use different skills and spells he learns along the way.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Eh! He made a gun.

My first thought was gunblade but yeah. And he also gave a 12 year old a gun. Laughing Well, he probably could use his magic to make those guns unable to hurt the user or something. Might still accidentally blow someone's head off though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3