• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Quest (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ririko's granny was pretty cute when she was young - rowr.

She had the looks and voice to try for a singing career if she wasn't stuck with her two, rather talentless, side men.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Despite what she says and the way she treats him, I think that Ririko's grandmother actually cares about Kadota. I don't think she wouldn't have tried to visit him in the hospital if she didn't.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Despite what she says and the way she treats him, I think that Ririko's grandmother actually cares about Kadota. I don't think she wouldn't have tried to visit him in the hospital if she didn't.

I agree. But I have a feeling she'd rather undergo a round or two of medieval torture before ever admitting that...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Elders in isolation. The episode kind of touched on something I have thought about, the concern people have of elders becoming isolated due to not being able to move around so much, and the compounding of that with the situation that so few people alone, but that perhaps modern technology can help that. Technology can be a bit of a scary thing for people, especially older generation, but with a little help it could help them a good deal. It was all going very good, where the separated and fairly small community were able to talk to each other and really build their community, but then the other shoe dropped. Pretty much the worst of the internet started to shine through, showing that you can't be too old to have an internet fight, although it was turning physical, there could also be some other social consequences that they don't know what could happen. I like it all in concept, so I kind of hope that this entire arc wont come undone as a failed experiment, they probably do need some form of rules and administrators on it though. There is benefits that could work.

Actually, I wonder if the professor wasn't actually trying to use the whole town as part of his work in a more intent way, he did seem to be knowledgeable on how internet more widely affected society. Anyway, there were a bunch of laughs, admittedly one of the things I found most funny was the perverted old guy who kept talking about butts, asking Japanese Siri about them, and was most likely the one asking how to delete his search history. I also quite liked the tiff between the young girl and bus driver, kind of interesting seeing him who should have a fairly steady position be concerned about what the not too distant future might have for his occupation he has pride in. Also, Sandal gets one scene and steals the show, I said that I love the guy when he just showed up as apparently beating one of the senior women at shogi while using chess lingo, or in the preview talking about the side effects of not deleting search history.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
That was a hilarious episode. The observation that internet anonymity = trollish behaviour is absolutely true. Too avoid that is why I use my real legal name Blood- to post instead of a made-up username. Wink

The sassy young girl waitress at the Fortune Telling restaurant is quickly becoming one of my favourite characters. She's a real brat, but I kinda dig her bad attitude.

The professor is kind of a dill-hole. Calling the five cuties "monkeys" was not cool.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

The professor is kind of a dill-hole. Calling the five cuties "monkeys" was not cool.

I'm guessing that you saw the episode on Crunchyroll. The professor actually calls them tanuki, but for whatever reason the translator decided to translate tanuki as monkey.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm guessing that you saw the episode on Crunchyroll. The professor actually calls them tanuki, but for whatever reason the translator decided to translate tanuki as monkey.

Thanks. I thought he said "tanuki" as well. Maybe CR didn't think "raccoons" would be demeaning enough?

This episode is based on an actual program to distribute tablets to Japan's elderly. It involves the hitherto unlikely pairing of IBM and Apple together with Japan Post which is managing the project. The aims of the program are pretty much what's described in the anime:
Quote:
The plan calls for IBM to create custom applications intended to help remind seniors to take their medication and to stick to diet and exercise regimens. The iPads will also offer access to social service agencies and help with shopping for groceries, along with standard apps like FaceTime and Messages and Mail for communicating and Photos and iCloud for sharing photos.

The article makes no mention of specialized search engines for butts, but perhaps if the audience is large enough....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah, good ears Beltane70 and yuna49. Tanuki, I believe, are seen as mischevious or tricky, so perhaps that's what the Professor was going for. Yeah, monkeys is definitely an odd translator choice.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I picked out that he said "tanuki" also. I think that the cage they touched right before he showed up was even a trap used to catch tanuki, at least based off I think a similar cage in Eccentric Family.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 18

Wow. Before the episode I knew that I was going to write how much I had enjoyed this arc with the seniors, getting to know these guys who kind of live away from a lot of the hustle bustle, and how they have been fun characters. But the episode had that touch of sadness, that the professor we and everyone had grown to be quite fond of had passed away. Could not say it any better than to say he was a pretty cool guy, and I think fits that this show is not shying away from some harsh realities despite trying to be hopeful.

Starting to look at the picture, I think that I can see how this show actually has made me kind of fall in love with this small town, enjoying all of the company that they have of the different characters. That some good old acceptance and sharing of who they are. I could always think that despite that, it is an acceptance of familiar Japan, but I think that is why I really like Sandal, that he shows up at some of the strangest scenes but is just as accepted. This is coming from a socially anxious introvert, but I think these people have kind of come across as fun.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
Yes, that was a good arc. The Prof was pretty smart and figured out a good way to get the seniors to record their local experience for a digital archive... plus, helping to make things better by being instrumental in the creation of the new reserve a ride service. I was kind of disappointed the sassy waitress from the Fortune Telling restaurant didn't make an appearance, though...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

A Maki arc. I do kind of like this set up of the relationship with her father, that it is rocky and there is fighting, but despite Maki being a character we are made to feel for, we also see how her father looks out for her, and I think it kind of feels like they are quite similar to each other in things like stubbornness. And we all want Maki to give acting a continued try, not because it is necessarily some big career, but as her father kind of pointed that she clearly enjoys it and should do what she enjoys. Don't know if it was on purpose, but the addition of the dragon song in this episode kind of felt like a warning that she should work to fix her relationship with her father before she regrets it.

We also had the shaming sign that Kadota was forced to wear.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
One of my favorite little details that I liked was Erika(the sassy young waitress) blushing when Maki's brother entered the restaurant!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Their little school closing ceremony actually turned out pretty good. I was pretty worried about the play being cringe inducing, but it actually worked out quite charming. And comes down to Maki, who started off being very down, but her charisma is great, and has a plan to continue her passion to some extent.

I am not sure if it was clear or if I understood, but it sounded like they were asking if they could turn the school into a community centre, where it could be open to the general public to do various activities, things that even the youth felt like there was nothing to do. It might actually be a good idea if there actually is a demand for a location.

Special mention for Ririko's part in the restaurant scene, from the "V" for views of her performance of the song, to audible monotone indicator of "feeling down" for the story not easily understood.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

I don't know if it is something late, but when I started this episode I told myself that I really had grown to really like the main cast as people, or as characters. It is the sort of thing that will mean when it finishes it will be a little sad.

As for plot, Erika, the daughter of the diner, has decided to run away to Tokyo, the group decides it best to take her to the dorm. They can ensure her mother that she is safe, she is taking a break from the environment she actually ran away from, and has a chance to learn from some of the people that lived in Tokyo, I think interesting that that Yoshino seemed to shoot holes in the plans. They all seem to kind of understand that coming across too strong would only backfire. Erika is actually a character I had grown steadily to like, she is an angsty teen that just has to tell make fun of someone doing something she considers stupid, and is kind of rebelling against being told what to do or think. A chance to have a look at the mentality of youth which we see sort of jaded by some of the adults, does feel like something we should have gotten to eventually, and it is offering a good chance to be contrasted to Shiori. Shiori is starting to wonder if she is the strange one in never really thinking about wanting to leave the town, she is personally happy there, and this then came out interestingly in a scene where Yoshino was thinking she herself was being too pushy and thinking back on someone saying that a lot of what the town stands on has lost relevance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4