• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Air Outlaw Star Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Really????? If they're bring back Outlaw Star, they can bring back Cowboy Bepop, too.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
By broadcasting it at 2:30AM, viewers get the pleasure of watching it...

...Through The Night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Are they actually going to air the uncensored version? Wondering how people who watched it back in the day will react to that scene where Gene hires a prostitute in the first episode
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Huh! I guess Funimation offered it to them on the cheap.......... wait, people could wind up complaining over how the opening theme might be edited.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
At this stage it would be ridiculous not to air the original version. If they do that than this should help a bit with the ratings Toonami has so much long running shounen anime in their timetable right now it is not that hard to figure why they have droped so much.

They should go back to when they first revived and air a lot of short but multiple types of anime and different genres.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Are they actually going to air the uncensored version? Wondering how people who watched it back in the day will react to that scene where Gene hires a prostitute in the first episode

I suspect there will be some minor censoring for brief nudity, but I think the unaired episode will finally get its chance.

I wondered if Toonami was going to bother with 2nd Gig considering the timing of the first season was more of a loose tie-in with the live-action movie. The choice of Outlaw Star is interesting. I have to think it was a cheap acquisition since it is a rerun. The fact that it has been many years since it aired, and now has the HD treatment helps, but it seems like Toonami isn't expecting it to be ratings gold either, since it is starting in the back end of the block.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
You can still look at the original edit lists for this show on the site, and take joy in the fact that this will all be completely uncut (with the exception of probably some blurring on "Hot Springs Planet Tenrei").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Huh! I guess Funimation offered it to them on the cheap.......... wait, people could wind up complaining over how the opening theme might be edited.

That would be a valid complaint though....opening theme is dope. A lot of anime have odd choices and outright bad choices, but this anime's themes fit the show so well. All of them.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, as awesome as this is having a return classic from the 90's coming back, fully uncut now. And yeah, would have been nice if Bebop would have finished its HD run there, but oh well.

Either way, yeah, for those speaking on ep. 23 airing, DeMarco said he'll try to with minimal editing if they do have the green light to air it. -> https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/893177467510419457

But more than likely, its in a latenight block, so they'll try to on Funi's help with it.

And for those speaking on if they'll keep the OP, sheesh, even back in Toonami's heyday, they skipped openings period in lieu of their show promo's so that the flow runs smooth when the episode started. But hopefully they'll keep it in, even full or shortened.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Interesting!
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

They should go back to when they first revived and air a lot of short but multiple types of anime and different genres.

Well back when they revived they didn't take anything BUT shounen. I know this because many people were requesting (back when they took your requests for shows in for consideration) "The Devil is a part-timer" to them and they wouldn't accept it because it was a "full-action packed show." So saying "multiple types of anime AND different genres" is bs because I've yet to see a shoujo, slice of life, sports, magical shoujo, rom-com...

I still would really like them to air "The Devil is a part-timer" too. Because not only is the show really funny it has action scenes too. And if they aired ..........sao they can air Log Horizon. But *sigh* I barely even turn on my tv still nowadays. Especially if it's shows that I don't like to watch. If they really wanted to pull in the audience they would air different genres, but they don't.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Can they air Gundam Wing too late night?
nagpo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Outlaw Star is something they want to produce a sequel to
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
Perhaps Outlaw Star is something they want to produce a sequel to

For us to get all disappointed to like the Berserk sequel anime.
And Big O can also get a sequel show in my dreams also.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Konopan wrote:
Really they edited that out? When ti aired in the UK in the early 00s they kept that scene, oh and aired the hot spring episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3