• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Not-So-Daily Link of the Day: Haruhi Tissue Boxes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
.........I want. -_-;

Yay for the start of smelly otaku personal hygiene!
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:17 pm Reply with quote
What is it with Japan and tissues any way? They seem obsessed with them.

The best tissue box I've personally seen from Japan was a super happy fun time anamorphic sushi box.

Also I like the look on the face at the guy at the bottom of the tissue box link. He is so like huh wtf am I going to do with this?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:23 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Yay for the start of smelly otaku personal hygiene!

How so?
They're not going to actually use it. Smile

Anyway sounds neat. And pretty cool the custom box is the same price too. If I ever got something like this I would eventually end up using it though. Guest bathroom. To bad it's a consumable. So I would have to stock up or something.

Then again I probably wouldn't get it altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
What is it with Japan and tissues any way? They seem obsessed with them.

There is an artist named Masami Teraoka (who currently resides in Hawaii) who mentioned something about this obsession when he was discussing his work. Some of his work is inspired by ukiyo-e prints, but they are also inspired by his experiences and observations. I guess Japan didn't really have tissue boxes until after World War II, during the American occupation. Mr. Teraoka was a boy during that time and he described tissue boxes as being a novelty. Some of his artwork has tissue boxes in it; one particular piece has the subject pulling tissues out of the box (I think the subject was actually himself--a sort of self-portrait--and it's one of his ukiyo-e inspired pieces). Apparently, the Japanese were fascinated with how you could pull one out and another would come up. I think they're still sort of a novelty, considering the fact that there aren't paper towels or tissues in their public restrooms and people are always standing about handing out little packets of tissues that you can use instead (so tissue boxes probably aren't as prevalent there as they are here?). It's really just a cultural thing, I think, but don't take my word for it. You can probably research the issue somewhere, maybe even do some research on Masami Teraoka (although I would like to say that some of his work is very mature with very adult and/or explicit themes, so just keep that in mind if you don't like artwork like that).

Forget Haruhi tissue boxes...I want a tissue box with Ein and Ryo-Ohki on it. Anime catgrin
maus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
This stuff is a waste of money. What's the extra value?
You'll only get a few pics on the box. Wow. Confused
eloyabun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Holly marketing, batsuman! Laughing
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
maus wrote:
This stuff is a waste of money. What's the extra value?
You'll only get a few pics on the box. Wow. Confused

Well it's not like it's all that expensive as novelty items go either. I mean less than five bucks, and you can choose the pictures you want?

Where they do get ya is the acrylic case. I am sure you could find a clear tissue case that is the right size for less than $10. Sure it might just be plastic, but do you really need acrylic to keep something safe when there is a big hole in the top anyway?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:43 pm Reply with quote
i'd like one of them. im wondering if some are more rare than others. I'm confused- why didn't they start selling them awhile ago?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GospelX

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
They're not going to actually use it. Smile

At the risk of appropriate perversion, I must disagree and say that they will use said tissues - just not appropriately.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
eloyabun wrote:
Holly marketing, batsuman! Laughing

More like viral marketing Razz
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
Wow. A tissue box-box for your collectible tissue box.

What will Japan think up next?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am Reply with quote
Tissue boxes with your favorite characters on them is often a great marketing tool. Why not get it? It will help you get better Wink
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
When you're sick, Haruhi (god) will save you. Very effective advertising campaign here
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:27 am Reply with quote
Well, some of you might still remember the Onegai Twins bath additive power set three years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Haruhi's tissue boxes.

Coincidentally, I just saw another bath additive power set for La Rose de Versailles fans a few minutes ago:

And no, I didn't spot it on some otaku-oriented specialty store (e.g. Chara-Ani in the One*2 link above), but from the ad at a mainstream news website.

Looks like males and females are more equal in the realm of otakudom than most other places in Japan. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
What a perfect addition to go with the manga toilet rolls. Using the bathroom will never be the same again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2