• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise to Release Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny With New English Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Great news for the fans of these two shows, but I hope enough people buy the disc sets, especially if Sunrise is paying for a complete redub.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam series partially set in Canada becomes the first mainline Gundam released in North America not dubbed in Canada.

The most well known Gundam series in Canada gets redubbed to remove all the Canadians.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Seed at a minimum, I would for certain.
Seed Destiny, that would be a maybe.

My problem is I generally like the original Dubs for Seed & Seed Destiny. But then again, I have the Bandai releases of both on DVD. And I've liked what I've seen of the remasters as they've been streamed through Gundam.Info's youtube account.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Canaime is dead. This just makes me upset. What's next, recasting Brad Swaile's Amuro with Bryce Papenbrook?
.....Actually, scratch that. I could actually see them doing that. Damn it.

Seed isn't what I'd call a good show but the dub was actually entertaining. The only I'd pick up this is if they got not only Mu's VA as Mu, Rau's VA as Rau but also managed to bring back the original cast of the Ocean dub to play supporting roles in this new version. I'm not even expecting Kira's crying to be authentic compared to Matt Hill's, considering he got kicked in the balls to make it work. No, seriously. Look it up. It actually happened.

I was a fan of the Unicorn dub but I really haven't been a fan of anything else that Sunrise's put out. Thunderbolt was okay at best with some good performances here and there (Io's doesn't feel slimebally enough in the dub IMO) IBO's IBO. They did the best with the material but still, some of those casting choices/voice direction was kind of iffy at best.
Going back to it, the only way I'll have any interest in this is (a) get Mu's voice actor considering he's apparently in the LA area now (?) , (b) DUB the songs, Jillian Michaels preferred. This one I'm really worried about considering the tendency in the US anime market NOT to dub the songs now compared to when SEED aired. Probably the most important aspect for me to be interested in this redub at all, (C) Get Mark Oliver back as Rau. Dude absolutely nailed Rau's almost suave and psychotic duality, especially come the end stretch.

Primus wrote:

The most well known Gundam series in Canada gets redubbed to remove all the Canadians.

Under. Goddamn. Statement.
The USA has Wing; Canada had SEED. It's funny because I don't even think SEED did well enough to get more than a single run in the US. While as in Canada, we got 4 and a half runs of SEED and 1 and half of Destiny.

Like, this is kind of ass backwards. I'd kind of expect Wing to get the redub considering how popular it is in the states (especially since that could mean Kaye and Hildreth could kind of reprise their roles as Treize and Heero respectively).

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
A new dub?? I don't know if anyone can ever do as much justice to Rau le Creuset then Mark Oliver...easily one of my favorite performance of all time and much better then the original Japanese VA.

Not just him too. Andrew Waltfed, Mu la flaga, Patrick Zala, Chairman Durandal. All had perfect VAs.

I'm kind of sad. I guess I still have my old dvds.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Certainly welcome the re-dub as I'm not a huge fan of the English dub to Seed in the first place though this version will miss the over the top theatrics of Rau La Crueset's English dub actor Mark Oliver. Though I'm hoping Keith Silverstein gets Gilbert Durandal's role in Destiny.
Though I'm not sure changing the dub is going to make any of the non-fans of this particular part of the franchise want to give it a second chance.

Much like I really disliked IBO's second season, I don't think a good dub might change that disappointment.

I hope actually this means 00 gets a re-dub as well.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
A new dub?? I don't know if anyone can ever do as much justice to Rau le Creuset then Mark Oliver...easily one of my favorite performance of all time and much better then the original Japanese VA.

Not just him too. Andrew Waltfed, Mu la flaga, Patrick Zala, Chairman Durandal. All had perfect VAs.

I'm kind of sad. I guess I still have my old dvds.

Keith Silverstein for Chairman Durandal.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Was the original dub good? Just curious.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
This is horrible. I loved the dub for Seed and Destiny and I doubt that ill be getting this. I might had been gungho about upgrading had the VAs been different than ones announced but its the same pool of VAs over and over, no variety. Sunrise should have spent a little more money on getting the original cast back together since most are still doing work and redub the small amount of lines that needed to be done.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Looking back I don't think so, I mean even compared to Wing's English dub. I guess I'm one of the few that thinks that the dub to this for years just sucked besides maybe Mark Oliver as Rau and Matt Hill as Kira, possibly Athrun's voice actor (Sam Vincent) too. Though 00 if I could remember was worse.
Hopefully that one does get a re-dub too.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

It's easily one of the best dub out there. The original VAs did absolutely insanely good performances. To.the point that, for me at least, a re-dub might be a deal breaker.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

There is some standout performances that I don't think will be reached again with a redub IMO. It was like a lightning strike; just perfect timing. People sing Oliver's praises as Rau with good reason.

Spoilers for final stretch but its Oliver at his best as Rau.

Some of the side characters got really iffy voice direction but it was an early 2000s dub. I thought Murrue, Mu, Kira, Athrun, Lacus, Cagalli and basically all of the new Destiny crew had really solid direction. Basically, anybody important was decent to good.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Canaime is dead. This just makes me upset. What's next, recasting Brad Swaile's Amuro with Bryce Papenbrook?
.....Actually, scratch that. I could actually see them doing that. Damn it.

Not Bryce Papenbrook but Lucien Dodge.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

There is some standout performances that I don't think will be reached again with a redub IMO. It was like a lightning strike; just perfect timing. People sing Oliver's praises as Rau with good reason.

Spoilers for final stretch but its Oliver as best as Rau.

Some of the side characters got really iffy voice direction but it was an early 2000s dub. I thought Murrue, Mu, Kira, Athrun, Lacus, Cagalli and basically all of the new Destiny crew had really solid direction. Basically, anybody important was decent to good.

I don't know I was disappointed in Ted Cole as Durandal, I mean part of it is he's trying to compete with Shuichi "Char Aznable" Ikeda.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
...Why? I don't understand this to be honest. Both shows already have english dubs which to me are perfectly servicable. I realize not everybody likes it that much, but that's pretty much with any dub.

Look, I absolutely love these voice actors (Stephanie Sheh is simply the best), but I don't see the point of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7