• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Owarimonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Don't know if this is allowed, but can anyone tell me what Monogatari series and episode this scene is from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJo7sQ8Pqqg

My searching says that it is Tsukimonogatari, episode 2.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much Dusky! It was indeed Tsukimonogatari. Time to sit down and watch.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:

If Shaft are being faithful to the seasons as presented at source, then odds are the last of the Owarimonogatari novels will be aired on its own rather than together with the Zoku set which comprises the 3rd season.

I guessed right when I posted over a year ago. Unfortunately what's released thus far is NOT all of the remaining unaired arcs from Owarimonogatari.

#Mayoi Hell
Apart from the obligatory gag scene between Koyomi and Hachikuji, it's a leisurely stroll through Shaft/Nisioisin inspired Buddhist Hell. A few mysteries from previous adaptations have been answered for those not familiar with the source material, but other than that the whole purpose of this story is to move events and characters along (This is Endstory after all).

#Hitagi Rendezvous
Araragi's girlfriend has hardly any screentime despite her status, something she is all too willing to remind viewers and readers when she's finally back in the spotlight. Despite her attitude and behaviour throughout the date, viewers and readers who have followed this series from the start know she would go through Hell if Koyomi was in trouble and needed her help.

The dream sequence in the middle is another Ougi hijack, but an important one since the weekend airing is one big setup for the final story in the Owarimonogatari arc. All of the speculation by posters in this thread has proven to be off the mark (no surprise since Ougi herself tends to muddle the issue with her character design and appearances) but viewers unfamiliar with the source material will have much to look forward to once Ougi Dark finally sees the light of day.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Owarimonogatari Season 2, Episodes 1 and 2 (Mayoi Hell and Hitagi Rendezvous)

I was hearing the rumblings of this final parts coming, but these two 43 minute episodes took me by surprise. But first.

Hachikuji!

Had pretty much given up on more Mayoi after her passing on, but good to see her again. Quite liked the build up where Koyomi was avoiding the idea that he would run up and grab her like before, saying that part of him died, which I feel was playing with the implication that Koyomi had in fact died. A return of good old Koyomi and Mayoi chemistry as she acted as his guide as we went back through his journey through the series. The first part even feels like it has weight now that I have seen all of the prequel Kisumonogatari movies, about the bond he made with Shinobu. Almost ironic as it looked like the journey really was to cleanse Koyomi of his vampiric nature entirely, the kind of expected link he has with her. But although he was saying that he would not regret much of what he went through, it was kind of right that he gives up that thing he that kind of made him the powerful special character.

And with the second episode, it was maybe showing the normal future he can have instead, with Hitagi at his side, it is not like it would become dull or meaningless. Got to say I kind of like Hitagi's style with her flipping between wordlessly being supportive, but also unabashedly acting in a selfish way if not actually meaning any harm. That being her I think stopping Tsubasa from calling Koyomi, partially from the bit of spotted past, but also because she has become friends with Tsubasa and kind of likes teasing Koyomi about it. And when after he apologises for not getting her anything, Hitagu starts acting like it is some great transgression after it was pretty clear it did not actually bother her.

And lastly, Ougi. All clues point to her being a "villain", and that Gaen is preparing a pretty grandiose assault against her, with Koyomi at the middle. The very end of the episode actually offered I think a bit of a surprise. Ougi outright refuted what some of us had possibly been thinking, that Ougi is the Darkness, at least something that was lingering in Koyomi's head, but apparently wrong. But also, the end kind of actually had me sympathise a bit with her, she explained that indeed she knows that she is about to walk into a trap, but that it is something she has no choice against. And I think she also expressed something that may have been loneliness, that she might feel alone, and would actually appreciate if Koyomi could help her. Or it really could be her just being manipulative, after all almost her entirety is something not to trust.

Oh, and before finishing, I really liked the bits with Koyomi and Mayoi where their style shifted to the really stylised look that is usually kept only to the EDs. Perhaps looking into it too much, could be how we are moving into the final act, or how the moving through hell was kind of acting as the final look at all of those events.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

And lastly, Ougi. All clues point to her being a "villain", and that Gaen is preparing a pretty grandiose assault against her, with Koyomi at the middle. The very end of the episode actually offered I think a bit of a surprise. Ougi outright refuted what some of us had possibly been thinking, that Ougi is the Darkness, at least something that was lingering in Koyomi's head, but apparently wrong. But also, the end kind of actually had me sympathise a bit with her, she explained that indeed she knows that she is about to walk into a trap, but that it is something she has no choice against. And I think she also expressed something that may have been loneliness, that she might feel alone, and would actually appreciate if Koyomi could help her. Or it really could be her just being manipulative, after all almost her entirety is something not to trust.

It'll all make sense when the final arc is aired. Suffice to say there are a lot of hints from Ougi herself as to what she is, the two arcs which just aired also talk a lot about "the right way" and regrets. Ougi never tires of reminding Araragi Koyomi that she knows nothing but that Araragi himself knows the answer to the questions he rhetorically asks himself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote
I almost feel like we will find out that more than her thematically being the opposing side to all his allies, that maybe she is like a shadow reflection born from him as a sort of negative aspects of himself or the acts he accomplished with the supernatural powers. A character did say in one of the recent episodes that a possible enemy of Gain is fighting against could be Araragi, the character saying that he does not usually think with a big plan or something, although if anything Ougi is full on planning. Which makes me wonder in possible hints. That maybe Ougi is like a collection of all the selfishness Koyomi tends to not indulge into, not necessarily looking for the best "nice" endings. A counter balance to his own interference of the franchise as a whole, like his own darkness.

Or she is like the pieces of things he has shaved off others: some aspects of Kiss Shot, the weight crab, the lost snail part of Mayoi, the rainy devil, etc. Otherwise I am kind of starting to think that Ougi is really closer to Koyomi than he realises, that she is a manifestation made by him, like some sort of imaginary friend he made as a lonely child, I think Koyomi has largely been described as a loner most of his life. Maybe he made an imaginary friend as a young kid to deal with things, maybe they were even kind of bad so he could sort of rebel against his police parents, but also played a part in developing him into who he was. And she/he/it has started to manifest after everything he has been dealing with.

Regardless, this series is so complex and scattered over so many years of viewing, that I think that I will have to make an effort to watch everything again after it is all done. Which I will then have to figure if I will do it by some sort of release date, or maybe something crazy like attempting to watch the series in some sort of chronological order, which maybe makes some of the arcs hard in that they were Koyomi telling them to Ougi at a later date, or happen at the same time.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:09 am Reply with quote
Wikipedia and encyclopedias are available to help fans remember details they forget every once in a while, the series is still ongoing since the newest season deals with Araragi's university years. This franchise doesn't look like it's going to go away any time soon.

Definitely need some kind of guide for those who wish to watch the adaptations in the series' chronological order rather than publishing sequence.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 am Reply with quote
Owarimonogatari Season 2, Episode 3 (Ougi Dark, Finale)

Even if the stories continue to go on after this, this hour long episode feels like a major finale to much of the major story of the series. The confrontation of Ougi, and what she is. And I guess I was kind of right, not with her being the Darkness, the episode made a kind of funny remark of this fact, that Yotsugi had the reaction to it that no doubt audience was supposed to have. It actually acts as a plot point rather than something like a red herring, because Ougi had effectively been pretending to be the Darkness, an entity that destroys things that pretend to be something else, and was thus at real risk from it once the truth came out. But really she was him, Koyomi Araragi, some loose ends that ended up being created by him, and thinking that he had things too good and would thus punish himself, trying to balance the good he had.

Ougi tried one more time to try and equal things out with Tsukihi, but apparently she could not put a dent in. And so Ougi from there seemed to accept the fate she was going to face, my point it was kind of like how something that was made in sort of Koyomi, might just as much hate itself. This was Koyomi facing his negative sides, but really not much of a surprise, he cannot even turn a blind eye to see that get destroyed, in a sort of paradoxical manner he would sort of harm himself to protect even something negative from himself. Perhaps fitting for her nature Ougi thinks it is stupid, but while this started out as Koyomi purging some of his unhealthy feelings of guilt, it ended with him sort of accepting that part, caring about even the dumb sort of bad parts. And from Hitagi and Tsubasa giving him permission to chase after little Ougi, it kind of feels like there was this sort of acceptance that Koyomi kind of embrace and like parts of himself that some would tell him not to. And from here it might be able to be done without anyone getting hurt.

Oh, also got a laugh out of Shinobu picking up Koyomi like he did to her and getting some revenge against Yotsugi's smack talk. The movies being so recent makes Shinobu's Kiss Shot appearance in this episode feel like an actual feeling of contrast of how she has changed. Perhaps one could call it one of the biggest parts of the episode was how they solved god problem, and it almost feels like something too nice, but maybe some happiness after so long. Mayoi takes the role, and in a number of ways it really feels like the full circle part of an arc, like how she started off at Shirahebi park, the old location of the shrine, and finished at Shirahebi shrine, a place that she now had a home. Mayoi had finally came to her home.

Suppose I should give a rating. Well for these specially at bringing to an end (or a continue) so much of this series, I will give it a rating of Excellent (9/10). It felt like an almost perfect dilution of the journey we have been with the Monogatari series, a bringing to a head and celebrating itself, which might sound kind of self centred, but that was kind of what these specials were kind of doing in having out main character to like himself.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
No comment about the storyline, since I watch this series from a slightly different perspective. What concerns me more is how the producers decide to animate the scenes for the important dialogue sequences.

Having spent the last two story arcs building up to the finale, viewers shouldn't have any cause for complaint since almost everything is given closure.

Very odd cricket analogy in the middle when they were playing baseball right at the start. What surprises me is Shaft and its director actually bothering to research Cricket as a sport enough to get the basics right in the middle sequence.

I expect the next arc will probably follow the format adopted for Owari, one regular season over a quarter with a special marathon telecast for the remaining stories not covered during the regular season. Although Zoku and the off-season novels has been out for a while, Owari needs to recoup production costs through sales and merchandise before plans for Zoku can begin. As such, I'm thinking 2019 to be the earliest air date for Zoku and the off-season assuming Owari sold itself well to the Japanese public.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6