• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
^

Series where monsters aren't given any sympathy? I know plenty, but usually they aren't given much character.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
^

Series where monsters aren't given any sympathy? I know plenty, but usually they aren't given much character.

Trying to figure out why monsters don't respond in ways that are familiar to us is a really unsettling experience. No matter what goals or ideals we have in place, we have no hope of changing theirs. This leads me to question all of my own preconceptions and challenges how safe I am within own perspective. A human character can boast superiority over any other creature on Earth because of our intelligence and abilities to control our enviornment. If we do have weaknesses, we hide them out of instinct. What I am looking for is a monster will immediately or systematically remove all previous rules:
1.) If there is no empathy or sympathy, this creature will not be persuaded to act on any minor or major provocations that we ourselves can feel with confidence as correct or beneficial.
2.)Looking at this monster would be similar to seeing a force of nature approach. Not only do we have lmited knowledge based on previous patterns and observations of when it will strike, the fear of being wrong can have fatal consequences.
2.) Rationally we may be optimistic that between good and evil, good will prevail just as often as evil will succeed, but these are two very general terms for defining this monster's behavior Although we may equate evil with wrongdoing--what can be more important and right than our own survival, or at least, our own perception, rationality, and sanity within it?

I have a bad habit of over complicating things. Sad

To be more specific:
1.) Without weakness based on morals and without any possibility of doubt in its actions, a monster will act, but we will have no idea if it is impulse or planned.
2.)To someone watching, predictable monsters are identified over time based on established conventions, however, the fear of it is far more than physically devastating. As time does pass, all we can do is watch it manifest both our doubts and destruction.
3.)All traditional roles are gone and inner turmoil is multiplied untill our beliefs have failed to protect us from this entity that cannot be captured by human means, words or definitions.

I do love anime because it does present a lot of really cool villians, however, I usually can figure out their motivanations based on established criteria, and that is too comfortable. Psychological, physical, and emotional distress are elements I want to be in concert. This formula is part of my very unpopular anime opinion: We may know what has already frightened us, yet we have a fascination or perspective of ourselves as the calm center of the storm. A monster beyond our words or definitions is a true display of power, far more intresting than romance, morals, deviousness and other human affairs.

Rather than this character itself being understated or nonexistent; it simply is, with blood and bone, our superior in every way. This change of dyneamic introduces a whole new world where most importantly, it makes us consider how weak we actually are against it, and what is so great about being human under it.

Edited: I've edited this three times and I'm still not sure I am explaining it very well. I won't tie up the thread with any more exposition, and you can pm me if you want me to explain any further.

Last edited by Usagi-kun on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well, apostles and The Godhand from Berserk come to mind. Also vampires who aren't Seras in Hellsing.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I tried. I really tried to keep this to myself and I didn't want to cause a stir but, fudge it, I can't take it anymore. I'm gonna say it right here and now.

Strawberry Panic is THE most overrated yuri I've ever seen in my life!!! Right up there with Yuru Yuri.

Last edited by Heishi on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Jungle Emperor Leo (1997) is a better movie than the Lion King. I think the story and animation is better than The Lion King in my opinion. The Lion King had nothing special going for it expect for the animation and music. With the Jungle Emperor Leo movie, I feel like it had a better reflection of the depth and power of the characters in the story in my opinion.
Akaname

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
↑The Lion King is one of my fave Disney movies, mostly because of the characters. Jungle Emperor Leo has been in my back log for a long time. Do you honestly think it's characters are portrayed better than one of Disney's most successful movies of all time? Popular or not, I don't care.
PulsarSmash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
More of an unpopular anime industry opinion: I honestly prefer Anime Strike to Crunchyroll/Funimation. There's more shows (and especially movies) on AS that I actually want to watch, and they're snagging the exclusives I'm most excited about.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
↑The Lion King is one of my fave Disney movies, mostly because of the characters. Jungle Emperor Leo has been in my back log for a long time. Do you honestly think it's characters are portrayed better than one of Disney's most successful movies of all time? Popular or not, I don't care.

That's a good question. I'm gonna buy the movie right now just to see for myself. Besides, Dan Green as Leo sounds hilarious.

My unpopular opinion comes from my recent rewatch of NGE. The final two episodes, while incompetent and lazy, have merit. Watching it with my friend who has a lot of angst in his life right now, I saw how much Shinji's whole episode-long-monologue resonated with him. I think it's actually worth watching for everyone, and vehemently disagree with anyone who says it should be skipped because it's confusing or nonsensical.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:

I think people mostly like Lion King for nostalgia when I think it's nothing that special once you get pass the pretty animation and the great music. I saw Lion King when I was 3 in theaters back in 1994 and loved it. As I got older, I notice the movie gets worst with each viewing. It's not a bad movie, but I think the movie is nowhere as good as people make it out to be. Just okay at best. I think Emperor Jungle Leo had a more interesting story and characters to it in my opinion.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
PulsarSmash wrote:
More of an unpopular anime industry opinion: I honestly prefer Anime Strike to Crunchyroll/Funimation. There's more shows (and especially movies) on AS that I actually want to watch, and they're snagging the exclusives I'm most excited about.

That's been my experience as well. I'm only watching Sakura Quest on Crunchyroll at the moment, but watching five series on Strike.

Since I was already a Prime subscriber, the added $5/month wasn't as big a hurdle as it would be for non-subscribers. Analysts poring over a recent 10-K filing from Amazon estimated that there are some 60-80 million Prime subscribers worldwide. My bet is most of that number represents households, so the number of individuals with access to Prime is probably two or three times as great.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
I have lots of unpopular opinions (in both senses of the word), but here are two which are particularly rare:

#1): Rage of Bahamut Genesis isn't nearly as good as everyone says it is. In fact, it barely can even be called good; I just finished it today and rated it 6/10 (it almost got an even lower rating), mostly for the characters and music. The overall writing was, quite frankly, garbage, and the third act was so terrible it invoked one facepalm after another.

#2): On a definitely related note, I thought the second act of Rage of Bahamut Genesis was fine, and I don't understand the negativity towards it. Everyone says the show sags in the middle but I certainly was still entertained. As I said above, it was the third act where the show fell apart. After the first seven or eight episodes I was thinking of a rating around the 8.5/10 mark.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Tales from Earthsea is a better watch than Ponyo.

HOHO. THAT'S RIGHT. I SAID IT!!!

I love Earthsea's mature story and mysterious characters. Ponyo's just really childish and there's not a lot to it outside of visuals and the cutesy stuff.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I was not a fan of Ponyo. I consider it to be Hayao Miyazaki's worst movie in my opinion. It's not terrible, but I found the story and characters to be weak compare to his other movies.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
American anime needs to expand. The potential for new genres and new story lines is way too great.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I found the story and characters to be weak compare to his other movies.

They sure are.....though maybe we were expecting too much from two five-year-olds. I mean, five is so young; what can you possibly do? It's not like they can develop and mature while staying five. The solution is easy: don't write a story about five-year-olds having an adventure in two days. Lol

Quote:
American anime

I'm not familiar with this term. Is it like "American French cartoons"?
Wink

HERE'S an unpopular opinion; in fact I expect to get rocks thrown at me for this one:

Flip Flappers does not work as a "romantic story."

"Eh but Chiibi, that's not the genre anyway!!"

Yes, but everyone who watched this show will go to the ends of the earth to prove to you how "in love" Papika and Cocona are with each other and God have mercy on your soul if you don't ship them as lesbian lovers instead of friends or sisters. This would be fine if it was limited to "Ship-tease" but it isn't. The show is ALSO really trying to sell them as lesbian lovers and it's pretty obvious. They practically bang you over the head with it.

Okay, look. I'm not a huge fan of yuri. That's no secret. But it can work for me as long as the story is touching and believable and the chemistry is good. Like with any other type of ship. Haruka and Michiru? Love them. Lucia and Sumire? Love them too. The two girls from Loveless are also awesome. So yeah, there are a few pairings here and there that I can get behind.

Truthfully, I was READY to get behind the CoconaxPapika ship about halfway through the series.

Cocona's thing for Papika is understandable if you pay attention to the episodes. Papika gives her this type of unconditional love when nobody else really does and Cocona is lonely and insecure in many ways. It's natural and expected that she would warm up to Papika.

So why doesn't this work?

It's actually PAPIKA'S blame. Or rather, how they wrote her character. From the beginning, she's OBSESSED with Cocona. She follows her everywhere. She risks her life for trivial things to make Cocona happy. You'd almost think she was enslaved to her; that's how dedicated she is. And it is hinted that she knows what happened in Cocona's past.

"Wow", I said. "Something really awesome and moving must have happened to make her love Cocona this much. I can't wait to find out what it is."

spoiler[ Plot Twist!! Papika was best friends(?) with Cocona's mother, also when she was reverted to a child form again, Cocona gave her some food before Cocona had her memory wiped.]
.....................................................................................
I'm sorry, WHAT?

spoiler[Papika loves Cocona because she gave her food?

You're kidding right? It's not because of some deep emotional connection, it's not because of some life-saving event, or just plain old spending lots of time together and getting to know each other.

It was *drumroll* FOOD.]

Scuse me, I need to go bang my head on a wall.

spoiler[This is a relationship a human has with a DOG. Just change her name to "Puppika" and you can have the exact same story.]

Sorry to the yuri fans.....but to try to make a romance out of THIS is really freaking stupid. I was really disappointed since the rest of the show was really solid. It would have been saved if they made it about Cocona JUST finding her family and left the yuri aspects out altogether. From the beginning, I HAD wished it was just that; do away with the creepy sexual bits too and you could have had a masterpiece anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 69 of 84