• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Temporary domain AnimeNewsNetwork.cc

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I think I've worked out most of the kinks due to the sudden switch to this temporary domain. If anything is still broken (like links to the now-hijacked domain) please post in this thread.

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crext

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, just know that the search engines, etc. won't find this page and direct you to the old one (which gives error messages). There's also no way to find out you're here other than through reading the facebook feed, so make sure that's high up on the scale.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, but I meant if anything is broken on animenewsnetwork.cc

There's unfortunately nothing we can do about all the links to animenewsnetwork.com out there
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
I'm getting a frame containing a DNS error in place of Tribal Fusion ads at the moment. Looks like it is trying to load them from the .com domain, e.g. animenewsnetwork.com/exponential/buster.html#?flashVer=26&ver=1.28&th=7744494807&tagKey=123926950&site=animenewsnetwork&adSpace=uk&center=1&size=160x600,300x250,300x600&env=display

(if there's a way to bypass the domain magic, I've forgotten it)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Issac Sarrowtail

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
I have to ask, what kept you from using a .anime domain?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
tl:dr: the site now seems to be storing more cookies but retaining less information about my preferences and page views. And fyi (i.e., not a priority), the comparison tool is gone from the Encyclopedia.

It seems like the new site is storing waaay more cookies than previously. In addition to the ones I'm used to seeing like _cfduid and _utmc and ones I can kind of guess what they're for, at the moment I've got 81 cookies formatted with a 5-number-letter prefix, like [email protected]/. It's like it's creating a new cookie for every page I visit, rather than storing the info in the ann5_session_id cookie or forum_previous_view or forum_previous_visit (how are these different?).

I'd delete them all, but since I don't know what they're for, I'm leery. I like ANN to remember which pages I've visited (which it already seems to be having trouble with now without me deleting any cookies) to help me keep track at a glance of say, which reviews or articles I've read. When I have to clean house and delete all the cookies, I suddenly see a sea of all-blue titles and no gray ones that I have to sort through to make sure I didn't miss something I was saving for later. It's not anything to angst over, but it's one of those little conveniences I've gotten used to and would still like to have.

The reason I even noticed was because the site doesn't seem to be able to remember the selected skin (the default 5.0), even with remember_user during the same log-in session. If I leave ANN and come back, it's reverted back to top and side banners (so what are the two sidebar cookies for?) crushing the content to the center, instead of allowing it the width of the window. I've had to change it back 5 times now by selecting the same skin I thought it thought I was using, sometimes without ever having left the site. It's like the site thinks ANN5.0 is not the default, even though that choice is noted as the default where you can select it.
horseradish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Encyclopedia information with ANN sources display .com. When adding .cc as a source, it becomes .com.

manga#18015
English companies - Licensed by: Viz Media
ANN source displays .com

Edit: I don't know if it's related to .cc, but adding pictures for staff isn't working. Since after the domain change, a pixel is displayed in its place when the picture is uploaded. I tried an outside source and an ANN source. Pictures for titles are working fine.
person#88
person#113042
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully,we'll be able to go back to our old domain pretty soon. I like to see that happen one of these days. This place is nice but you know what they say. "There's no place like home." I hope that this website'll be able to return to it's home soon. It'll be good,not just for the website but for those who regularly use this site. I hope things go back to normal soon. That's what I'd like to see happen.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
horseradish wrote:
Encyclopedia information with ANN sources display .com. When adding .cc as a source, it becomes .com.

manga#18015
English companies - Licensed by: Viz Media
ANN source displays .com

This is fine. There's no need to change it.

Quote:

Edit: I don't know if it's related to .cc, but adding pictures for staff isn't working. Since after the domain change, a pixel is displayed in its place when the picture is uploaded. I tried an outside source and an ANN source. Pictures for titles are working fine.
person#88
person#113042

I'll point this out to Dan.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I'm unable to cancel my ANN subscription. I just quit my job, so I'd prefer to not use excess money on this for now. I'm pretty sure the "Cancel Subscription" option was right there in "Subscription settings" prior to the domain change.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hope you find a new job soon.

As for the matter at hand, I believe we turned off auto-renewal. I'll double check for you.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Even though it's called a "subscription" it's only billed once and then you get a reminder when it's time to renew. So you don't have to do anything and your subscription will expire in due time.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mine got auto renewed! Its not a big deal for now, but I'm trying to conserve my finances for now. Is there any way I can cancel the subscription?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1