• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ID-0 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
For the record, I actually had a lot of fun with the show and found it pretty good. Not excellent nor ground-breaking, but an enjoyable and solid space adventure from beginning to end.

From that point of view, reading Yttrbio's statement above just makes me shake my head in sincere disbelief. I would argue that sort of opinion is neither structurally nor contextually accurate. ID-0 was far more of a singular sci-fi story with an actual point than an episodic action/comedy, which makes it the opposite of Active Raid, and the characters did visibly receive varying degrees of development and contributed to illustrating the underlying themes of the narrative. Therefore, I think that comparison is not even stylistically relevant either, whether we're discussing the writing, the animation or the direction.

To briefly elaborate on one point, the villain actually had a meaningful connection to the protagonist and that specific revelation helps quite a number of small scenes from the first few episodes make more sense. In that area, the script is very internally consistent and handles foreshadowing quite well.

Perhaps some folks, like FenixFiesta, didn't like the over-the-top mannerisms involved when Addams started to become more active, I can understand that position, but I felt that aspect of the character was still entertaining to watch and didn't contradict the more interesting themes involved. In fact, for me the last few episodes were a highlight of the series in both respects (enjoyment and interest). In a few words, Addams was too proud and a little insane yet well-intentioned. He had more or less good reasons for his actions. Once again, I wouldn't say that about the villains in Active Raid, which were mostly disappointing or uninteresting. "Too dramatic" isn't quite how I'd describe the character's portrayal here either, because they did have a little fun with him.

In short, I would give Active Raid about a 6/10 or so, but ID-0 easily deserves at least 7.5/10 in my experience because it did almost everything better and was playing a whole different ballgame to begin with.

Regarding what Dusky said, I believe all the main themes did come to a conclusion. I do agree that the old folks weren't really explained in detail, which may count as a small plot hole and/or loose end, but that's more of a minor subplot than a central theme. Even then, they can be understood as representing how the mind transfer technology could be used for purely personal greed, in contrast to other more innocent or at least misguided purposes. Also, I count the two military leaders from the final episodes as a positive -albeit brief- portrayal of women in uniform. They played their part as professionals.

But you don't need to take my word for it. Rather than continue to argue at length, months after the fact, I'll link to a far more comprehensive review or two from people who have given the show more credit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2