• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ragdollomega wrote:
That halfhearted "I'm not gonna spoil it but jk I totally am" is getting really annoying.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing several other instances that fit this pattern in various places. It must be some kind of hivemind thing.

Unicorn_Blade wrote:
I don't know if they said whether Marluk was aware of it/came across it before?

Marulk said there haven't been any reports of such things before.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Ragdollomega wrote:
That halfhearted "I'm not gonna spoil it but jk I totally am" is getting really annoying.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing several other instances that fit this pattern in various places. It must be some kind of hivemind thing.

If you see instances of users repeatedly doing this please PM a moderator. We're trying to crack down on this, as well as people going into threads just to shit on things, sort of inferring/indirect spoilers that ruin shows. So if we know a user is repeatedly doing it we can give them more direct warnings to stop and to use spoiler tags properly. Thanks!
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
If you see instances of users repeatedly doing this please PM a moderator.

Oh, I didn't know this same thing had happened here before, what I'd seen is people behaving this way on other sites. Now that I'm aware of it, I will use the PM feature next time.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Not all the time, but regularly enough it has become somewhat of an issue. Most instances involve someone inferring things that are coming up in the anime because it happened in the manga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Dayum, that Seeker Camp was truly rendered beautifully. The eye candy factor for this title is high. And yeah, Torso Monster was very creepy. This is the show of the season for me, no question.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
You know, sometimes I feel like I should just give up watching anime. I apparently miss half of what's going on since I'm so damn slow at reading the subs, and only peripherally take in what's going on onscreen. And if it's a dark scene, forget it. I mean, I totally missed that the beast was a half a dressed human(oid?) carcass. I saw the marks on its shoulders as eyes, so the neck became a mouth, and then I was just watching its hands/claws move around. ::sigh:: There weren't even any subs during that scene. smh
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:55 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I mean, I totally missed that the beast was a half a dressed human(oid?) carcass. I saw the marks on its shoulders as eyes, so the neck became a mouth, and then I was just watching its hands/claws move around. ::sigh:: There weren't even any subs during that scene. smh

I think that I even had to rewind to try and process what the thing even was, it had a really vague form that had me kept on wondering what it could be, I would not blame you for think what you did, I half expect the just monster part, and it was really just that it had a tail that looked more like a spine that I thought it some weird zombie torso thing. And I kind of think it all on purpose, Riko seemed to have a pretty tough time grasping what she is looking at, and how it cam across had me thinking that we were getting more of what she sees.

That we are seeing things through the lens of how Riko does is something I had been thinking about for a while, how kids all seem to be in this sort of child friendly like design that feels out of place compared to some things hinted. That adults mostly seem to be displayed as towering above the children with their own strange quirks. And how creatures are kind of shown in this sort of sketchy inhuman way that sort of conflicts with how humans in general are shown. While this thing was kind of in a way that felt even beyond that, where there was really a hard time to process what it was we were looking at.

I might just be thinking this though since I just watched Annabelle Creation, which while not technically really changed a visual style in being live action, really did feel like it applied this filter where it made you think like you were a scared child who could not sleep at night while you heard various creaks and bumps. Seeing things in the dark, and terrified that a monster will get you if you don't stay perfectly still in the bed.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You know, sometimes I feel like I should just give up watching anime. I apparently miss half of what's going on since I'm so damn slow at reading the subs, and only peripherally take in what's going on onscreen. And if it's a dark scene, forget it.

Don't think it's got anything to do with subtitles- I also had no clue what I was looking at at first. I thought the neck was the head with some strange non existing eyes, some lizard kind of creature, and and it was only when they showed it from behind I though- bizarre tail, oh no, no wait, it's not a tail!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, this scene didn't since there weren't any subs during it. Smile But this happens a lot to me, where I'm reading a review or posts and everyone is talking about something that was on screen right out there in the open that I totally missed. Thank goodness for freeze frame! Very Happy But the older I get, the longer my processing time becomes, not to mention my vision deteriorating. It is frustrating.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
That's normal though. Sometimes people know the source material, manga or visual novel or whatever, so they know what to expect and when. Anyways, no one can pay 100% attention to every single frame and someone always notices something someone else does not, and people go back and forth to look back at details to check. Even in dubbed versions it's easy to miss bits.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, this scene didn't since there weren't any subs during it. Smile But this happens a lot to me, where I'm reading a review or posts and everyone is talking about something that was on screen right out there in the open that I totally missed. Thank goodness for freeze frame! Very Happy But the older I get, the longer my processing time becomes, not to mention my vision deteriorating. It is frustrating.

Join the club. Crying or Very sad Laughing I find myself often freez framing things when a big block of subtitle text comes up so I can read it and still see the actual frame and what the hell is even going on. Otherwise I feel like I'm simply reading a book with sounds in the background heh.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think you're being fair to yourself. Oftentimes scenes where the details are most important are either dimly lit or go by very quickly, so pause or slowmo are usually necessary for anyone when they don't already know what to look for and where. The average TV or monitor has also gotten larger over the years, so it's more difficult and sometimes impossible to take in the entire screen at once. Thankfully, if anything, it was made more clear in the anime than it originally was.

DuskyPredator wrote:
it made you think like you were a scared child who could not sleep at night while you heard various creaks and bumps. Seeing things in the dark, and terrified that a monster will get you if you don't stay perfectly still in the bed.

I still get like that if I read or watch the wrong thing too late at night! At least in Ozen's case, she's explicitly stated to be extremely tall by any standard, but the younger characters do seem smaller compared to adult ones than they normally would be at their age. Tsukushi is a brilliant writer and artist but I personally don't think it's symbolic of anything except his own aesthetic preferences, although even if it really is just an unintentional byproduct it still fits perfectly with your interpretation.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Man, Ozen is just the coolest. Love everything creepy about her

So, is Riko technically a zombie?
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So, is Riko technically a zombie?

Not that she is bothered by it- she went like- oh yeah fine just as long as I get to live a little longer. I think I would be a bit more... shocked or whatever by such revelation.

Ozen is so creepy, I did like though the fact it was a bit of an act, although it kind of was not at the same time. The punishment on her helper is a bit much though...
We also know what the corpse creature was about, not that it was reassuring.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It was interesting seeing a bit of Ozen's relationship with Lyza.

I was kind of wondering if Malruk might have been revived by Ozen, while I watching the episode
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8