• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ancien and the Magic Tablet

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Sounds like this may be nice ...sadly for me as of late ..ALL movies seem rushed (even live action) .. TV Series may not have as big of budgets per se , but they take their time and flesh out more characters/situations (most of the time ) .. i like that .
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I can't remember, has this been confirmed to come to the States?
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Yes, it's supposed to receive an Oscar-qualifying run in a couple LA theaters beginning September 8 (under the title Napping Princess), "followed by a national expansion." http://animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-08-17/napping-princess-film-to-premiere-in-n.y-l.a-on-september-8/.120237
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll like this. I do put value in a sensible and well-thought out plot, but emotions are usually the most important thing. As long as they aren't ham-fisted or overwrought. That's always been a problem of mine with Hosoda films, but I have loved everything that Kamiyama's done, so I have reasonable hopes for this. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for it, along with most anime films... Crying or Very sad
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest...

The crop of feature films coming out today -- or at least being licensed to exhibit in the US -- is generally much better than it was 10, 15 years ago.
I'm glad to some other guys obviously know how to direct features besides Miyazaki (although that last film was not his best).
The new group of directors' production companies might have a harder time raising money than Studio Ghibli did but it looks like right now there are at least 4, maybe 6 very good directors who aren't Miyazaki, Takahata, or Oshii.

There's some tear-jerkers like In This Corner of the World but what also look like some films with decent action in them. There's at least 3-4 newer features I'm definitely interested in being released over the next year.
I can't say there are any domestic releases (Hollywood) that I'm particularly looking forward to be honest. I'm tired of the superheroes and we're in yet another animation cycle where the US studios are chasing their tails and cranking sequels and formula movies... Do we really need Toy Story 4, Cars 4, or new installments of The Incredibles and Despicable Me?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I can't say there are any domestic releases (Hollywood) that I'm particularly looking forward to be honest. I'm tired of the superheroes and we're in yet another animation cycle where the US studios are chasing their tails and cranking sequels and formula movies... Do we really need Toy Story 4, Cars 4, or new installments of The Incredibles and Despicable Me?

But how else will they get easily amused kids to beg their parents to spend money on the films' associated merchandise?
John J. Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
I'm watching it this (9/17/17) Sunday (dubbed) at Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park (Katy, TX) at 12pm...Is this a FUNimation dub? or was it done by BangZoom? Anybody know?
(I'll know soon enough I guess)

azabaro wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

Yes, it's supposed to receive an Oscar-qualifying run in a couple LA theaters beginning September 8 (under the title Napping Princess), "followed by a national expansion." http://animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-08-17/napping-princess-film-to-premiere-in-n.y-l.a-on-september-8/.120237
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to seeing this when it eventually comes to disc.

relyat08 wrote:
I think I'll like this. I do put value in a sensible and well-thought out plot, but emotions are usually the most important thing. As long as they aren't ham-fisted or overwrought. That's always been a problem of mine with Hosoda films, but I have loved everything that Kamiyama's done, so I have reasonable hopes for this. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for it, along with most anime films... Crying or Very sad

Yeah.

John J. Ronald wrote:
I'm watching it this (9/17/17) Sunday (dubbed) at Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park (Katy, TX) at 12pm...Is this a FUNimation dub? or was it done by BangZoom? Anybody know?
(I'll know soon enough I guess)

The encyclopedia lists it as an NYAV Post dub (directed by Sinterniklaas and Sheh, who've been on a roll with great dubs) and at the same time the lead is played by Brina Palencia who also does a lot of Funi dubs so it'll be like best of both hehe. Smile
Ninten

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Do we really need Toy Story 4, Cars 4, or new installments of The Incredibles and Despicable Me?
Hi, many people have been waiting The Incredibles 2 for 15 years, including me.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I just saw this at the Alamo Drafthouse in Lubbock, Texas and it was really, really good. My only real trouble was that the climax had way too much metaphor for me and I was more interested in the real world than the dream world. It was still a great, emotional ride that did indeed bring me to tears a couple of times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1