• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
AMB involves a Japanese girl (with red hair) who is "bought" by a strange creature with a large deer-like skull for its head. She ends up being introduced to the world of mages, alchemy, and magic. But since the series takes place in Europe (I think England?), you won't find Japanese yokai here, but you will find many Celtic and European legendary creatures (for example, Oberon and Titania, Silkies, animal familiars, dragons, faeries). But people definitely enjoy the manga for its impressive world building (we the audience tend to see the world built as our main character, who is from outside the world, learns and views things) and enjoyable cast. Actually, seeing Chise start to get used to using her own magic kind of reminds me of Steven (from Steven Universe) slowly learning his abilities.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I would like to second the recommendation on The Ancient Magus Bride. Not only is the world building fascinating but there is an ongoing sense of wonder that is absent from a lot of magic stories.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll 3rd Ancient Magus' Bride. It's a great fantasy series that's not like most fantasy manga. Alan described it very well.

Kamisama Kiss is good too, I just didn't mention it because of the length.
Komorebi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Trying to find new manga to read. I've read some, but not a lot. I want to catch up on all the "necessary ones".

Manga I have Read/Enjoyed:
Death Note
Tokyo Ghoul (and re)
Boku Girl
The Promised Neverland (started, need to catch up)
Ouran High School Host club
Naruto (started, need to catch up)
Full Metal Alchemist (started, need to catch up)

I espeicially liked Death Note and Tokyo Ghoul... so I suppose my preferred genre is fantasy/thriller... I really like it when it makes you question different topics and beliefs... which both of them did

I suppose I have always enjoyed darker topics, though I also like romances that aren't like others, like Boku Girl and Ouran High School Host Club, they weren't full of cliches (I mean, sort of), they felt different than other romances I head read in the past

There are a few others I have read, but i suppose that sums up my usual likes

When it comes to other books and movies I love darker subjects, fantasy (especially dragons), crime dramas... the darker and more violent the better

TBH the bigger the list, the better... also if you could include any 'necessary' titles, AKA those ones everyone loves no matter what genre they prefer, that would be nice... I'm done with hearing "YOU HAVEN'T READ THAT YET" whenever someone else talks about manga (and anime, but I am in a reading mood right now)

Thanks guys! Can't wait to expand my reading list
See more glass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the meaning. Ya mean pederasty, or 70's style boy's love?

The former: no comment. The latter: Kaze no Ki no Uta & Eroica Yori Ai o Komete are some of my all-time favourites. They both have that awesome old-school melodrama that you just don't get anymore (nowadays, it comes pre-packaged with moe).
clockworkerr0r

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 am Reply with quote
Since you said you enjoyed darker topics, I suggest trying out The Devil's Boy and G'Day.

The Devil's Boy is an action series about a guy in high school who's been relentlessly bullied to the point that he no longer wants to live. After begging for anyone to save him, the archdevil appears and offers him a deal: he can trade his soul for amazing powers that will help him fend off the bullies. What he doesn't realize is that by accepting the deal, he'll also be thrown into the dangerous world of exorcists and demons.

G'Day is a psychological/drama series that follows a guy who travels from Korea to Australia in order to search for his missing sister. When he arrives at the last place she was staying at, he can immediately tell that everyone in the house is hiding something from him. This series is told in sections that switch between the perspectives of the people living in the house, filling in bits of the mystery slowly. I've never read another series like it, and it's one of the few series that I've read that manages to keep up a constant sense of anticipation.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
I freaking love Seraph of the End's manga. Judging from your list, you probably will too. It's the post-apocalyptic genre with pretty dark themes. I think its art is vastly superior to many other shounen manga.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if this thread is still active and the TC still reads this topic, but here are my suggestions:

Ah! My Goddess! - A fun romantic comedy manga with a good cast of characters.
Berserk - A dark violent fantasy series. You get a great series with blood, gore and many amazing looking monsters
The Drifting Classroom - A horror manga from the 1970's, so the art is dated. However the manga is a great suspenseful horror manga that is told through the eyes of a child
Devilman - A dark supernatural manga with a similar theme to Tokyo Ghoul with a human becoming a monster
Crying Freeman - A dark and violent manga with crime and drama in it
Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit - A great manga set in the future that deals with themes of domestic abuse, rape, poverty, politics, suicide, and murder.
Lone Wolf & Cub - One of the best manga ever written and it is totally worth putting on your reading list.
Monster - A great detective mystery thriller that is also a character study series as well.
Solanin
Uzumaki - If you enjoy horror manga, this will be right up your alley.

Some of these manga are old, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Being old does not mean it is bad.
RyukoSuzakuTorisMikage

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
[/quote] i like maga tsuki and demon love spell and black cat or sword art online
manga have good drawing style. Cool
Yukinon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I really like the first two volumes of Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu so far. German-speaking medieval characters marveling over sushi and other delectable Japanese dishes will never get old for me. A good manga for foodies and for learning a smattering of German. Nice slice of life manga with a bit of humor and fantasy mixed in with the food.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hey, I was wondering if you can find "doujin" recommendations here.

You see, I've been quite frustrated with the fact that while something like UzaMaid exists, there is no "shouta" equivalent.

To tell you the truth, I really like female muscle x shouta stories(strange coming from me, I know), as long as it feels romantic and genuine.
I've always felt the best kind of gender role reversal type stories are love stories based on such a concept. You see, I've often become bored with the typical "knight saves helpless princess who is shy and innocent and their love triumphs in the end." scenario.
I've wanted to see a complete reversal of this narrative because I think that is a very exciting and original idea. I'll get into more details in a later post regarding this matter.

But the closet thing to such a concept existing in Japanese entertainment media is an eroge game called "The Guts - Maximum Maternity!, but even that doesn't fully satisfy me because it lacks a romantic narrative(from what I've seen anyway).

Anyway, sorry if I dragged this a little. I'm also not sure if its even allowed to ask for doujin recommendations as I haven't been able to fully understand to how this site works.
I'm sure the mods will not approve of this post, if they did, I apologize, since I don't know where to look for doujin recommendations.

But if anyone knows any doujins with stories like this or at least closest to them, please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
goldenboy677

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:41 am Reply with quote
I have a hard time getting my son to read anything but seems like manga is the best thing for him right now I started him on AI LOVE YOU. He seems to like it enough to read a few chapters every time I make him read. But not enough for him to want to read it just because he want to do so on his own. I understand that that manga might not his cup of tea, I do hear him laughing when reading if at least once or twice every time he gets down to reading them manga book he is currently on the 4th volume. I would like to get him a manga that he might like so much that he would want to read the book without me telling him to do so. AI LOVE YOU is currently the only manga series that I own.

We have watched a few anime together and he seems to like the following
the one piece. It was cute when I saw he was tearing up when they where saying goodbye to the going marry.
Hunter x hunter
Are his top favorite right now

He did like also attack on titan
Yuyu hakusho
Haikyuu
He saw about half of Akira had to turn it off because of bed time but he liked it enough to want to finish it the next day.
Full metal alchemist brotherhood
Hellsing ultimate

RANMA1/2

Detective conan case closed he still asks me to this day if they have made any new English subs of detective Conan.
Seeing that he is not a great reader he won’t read the subtitles.

Now and Then, Here and There.
Oiran host club was one he enjoyed

GTO

i have been trying to show him all the anime that I have seen and enjoyed when I was a kid but not all of them interest him. even though I tell him that it’s going to get like way better soon. When it come to anime it needs to grab him in the first two episodes tops the sooner the better. Gundam would be out of the question for him at this time.

I tell you all this because maybe it would help recommend a manga that he would actually like,
I would like something preferably 12 volumes or less but please keep under 27 volumes
And something that is completely complete already I we don’t want to be waiting on the next volume to come out to read the next part of the story just to have to wait again. Anyways I hope some here can help me out. It can be any maturity level except hentai stuff obviously. But I little perverted like the cook in the one piece or like onizuka in GTO, is ok As for Blood and guts stuff is all good.
Also please recommend stuff that doesn’t have anime because if he finds out there’s an anime of the manga he’s reading he won’t read the book anymore.

Please any help with this would be great thank you in advance.
francisbaud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
For those who enjoy more violent mangas, Dragon Ball Z (42 books) has a pretty cool story and very expressive art style. At one point when I was younger I had all the books of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 33 of 33