• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirating Sgt. Frog, Eureka 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
LOL, serial pirating! You would figure that his friend going to jail would be enough to discourage him too...
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
LOL, serial pirating! You would figure that his friend going to jail would be enough to discourage him too...

Well, even though the buddy did it all of last year, and this guy picked up the habit in April and May, his friend didn't actually get popped until July 24.

I'm sure he's actually been very discouraged for about 4 months now. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Some addictions are very hard to break. Besides people who do this really aren't the brightest bulb on the tree, are they? Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote
And once again, the moral of the story is, "Don't pirate popular anime for profit." After all, we never hear about anyone busted for selling pirated Windy Tales or Kokoro Library DVDs.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
And once again, the moral of the story is, "Don't pirate popular anime for profit." After all, we never hear about anyone busted for selling pirated Windy Tales or Kokoro Library DVDs.

You're making the assumption that anyone would buy even pirated DVDs of those series in the first place.
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

You're making the assumption that anyone would buy even pirated DVDs of those series in the first place.

Well, in all fairness, there's a market for everything. I've seen people activelly looking for pirates of American shows like Brother's Keeper and Two of A kind. (BOth ABC sitcoms, the first with at least mild interesting writting at times, in the way a sitcom can be...)

BOth've those shows were cancelled after one season, and the first never recieved any sindication at ALL.

ANd frankly, despite the comment earlier, neither was really any good.

The real issue would be the profit margins being so low it wouldn't be profitiable even if you did it for profit.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
Sounds like we've got a little operation going on up there in Saitama. Trying to sell bootlegs to anybody isn't good at all, and buying isn't good either. The really bad ones end up being pure crap.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:00 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Shoot, here I thought the moral of the story was to moderate mailing list joins and don't let the cops find your buddy's little black book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1