• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Your Chance to See The Hayao Miyazaki's first feature Film You Probably Haven't Heard O

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
The link is broken. Sad
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:35 am Reply with quote
Surely this film is known to the vast majority of Miyazaki and Lupin fans, amongst others! I remember seeing it on television, of all places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:49 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Surely this film is known to the vast majority of Miyazaki and Lupin fans, amongst others! I remember seeing it on television, of all places.

But to the new kids and their parents who claim to be "Anime fans!" just because they started with Disney's 00's Ghibli dubs--and Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle, at that--it's a new vault discovery on the level of missing Beatles tapes.

If someone has actually "never heard of" this movie, they probably need to see it, more BADLY than any other anime fan. Confused
(But hey--That's what Fathom's for.)
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Actually as a kid who snuck watched Lupin the 3rd on Adult Swim I actually don't think I ever realized this movie's existence til my teens. Most of my knowledge of Lupin the 3rd came from the Adult Swim airings of the part II cartoon. Let alone did I know Miyazaki's involvement til again my teens.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Actually as a kid who snuck watched Lupin the 3rd on Adult Swim I actually don't think I ever realized this movie's existence til my teens. Most of my knowledge of Lupin the 3rd came from the Adult Swim airings of the part II cartoon. Let alone did I know Miyazaki's involvement til again my teens.

For most of us, it was the other way around:
It was the most watchable of the six or seven core Streamline Pictures movies, and by the time we caught up with the TV version of Lupin, we were rather...surprised to see Monkey Punch's original TV/manga style, as well as the fact that Fujiko WASN'T a cute spunky Black Widow-like secret agent. Shocked
We were raised on Miyazaki's Clean Lupin.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

For most of us, it was the other way around:
It was the most watchable of the six or seven core Streamline Pictures movies, and by the time we caught up with the TV version of Lupin, we were rather...surprised to see Monkey Punch's original TV/manga style, as well as the fact that Fujiko WASN'T a cute spunky Black Widow-like secret agent. Shocked
We were raised on Miyazaki's Clean Lupin.

On the other hand I also didn't realize they made so many TV specials/movies til I was a teenager also. Certainly shocking was finding out they made a string of TV specials from 1989 to basically now nearly.
It's kind of similar to my knowledge about the Gundam franchise as a kid as I only had exposure to Wing, Seed and G Gundam and I don't think I saw the original show at all even when it did play on Cartoon Network.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Anybody know which dub this is? I'm personally acquainted with the Manga Video dub (with David Hayter as Lupin!), but I'm curious if this might be a new dub. It'll certainly be interesting if they redubbed this with the modern Lupin cast, i.e. Tony Oliver as Lupin Anime hyper
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
On the other hand I also didn't realize they made so many TV specials/movies til I was a teenager also. Certainly shocking was finding out they made a string of TV specials from 1989 to basically now nearly.
It's kind of similar to my knowledge about the Gundam franchise as a kid as I only had exposure to Wing, Seed and G Gundam and I don't think I saw the original show at all even when it did play on Cartoon Network.

Yeah, kind of the exact opposite of my experience: the original Gundam films were the first anime I ever bought on VHS, and Cagliostro was the first I ever bought on DVD. Laughing
RagnarIV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
They mentioned on twitter that it would be the Streamline dub. If you haven't seen this movie already, you definitely should!
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Anybody know which dub this is? I'm personally acquainted with the Manga Video dub (with David Hayter as Lupin!), but I'm curious if this might be a new dub. It'll certainly be interesting if they redubbed this with the modern Lupin cast, i.e. Tony Oliver as Lupin Anime hyper
I saw it tonight and was really, really upset to discover that it was the Streamline dub. Cringed my way through the whole thing - can't wait to see it subbed on Sunday!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1