• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Are DVD and Blu-ray Subtitles Made?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
And I thought that Blu-ray was supposedly an improvement on the technological hodgepodge of DVD! Perhaps the physical media industry will be lucky on its third attempt...

Most of my anime is watched streaming. However, when I do watch anime on DVD, as long as the quality similar to that of the Crunchyroll or Funi video player, I am indifferent on whether or not BD is supposed to be better quality than DVD. Heck, I am perhaps more of a base DVD person.
russ869

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
I've authored BDs with the text-based subtitles before, and for the most part they work alright (I play everything on PS3). Also yes, they do look pretty hideous. I usually still go with rendered PNG image subtitles because it gives me more control over how it looks. Typically if you want to adapt a *.ass script for BD, all those complicated effects has to be taken out (especially fade in, fade out, and subtitles that move across the screen). Otherwise you will overflow that very small amount of RAM dedicated for loading subtitles really quickly. A good professional authoring program like Scenarist will tell you when this happens and stop multiplexing. Good, professional quality DVDs can be muxed with free open source software, but unfortunately all of the free open source BD authoring tools still suck so results can be unpredictable and bad when it comes to subtitles.

atyamamoto wrote:
I tried working with an authoring house that advertised itself as being "subtitle aficionados" specializing in indie titles for picky audiences, but they were totally paralyzed by the level of detail required for the project --
customized placement of subtitles, overlapping subtitles, etc.

Honestly, none of what you mentioned is hard. Anyone who has had experience subtitling any anime at all should be capable of doing this. I'm talking from experience. Clearly them being "subtitle aficionados" was total baloney.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
BD is supposed to be better quality than DVD.

BD is better then DVD by default. More storage, higher resolution, better quality sound.
The contents of said BD however may not be better. There are a lot of upscales that look much worse then the DVD.

russ869 wrote:
Honestly, none of what you mentioned is hard. Anyone who has had experience subtitling any anime at all should be capable of doing this. I'm talking from experience.

Yeah, it's very easy to do in Aegisub. But I think he had to use software for making BD subs, not .ass.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Actually wrote about what a giant bag of hurt closed captions are! Also, they get cropped off of most BD/DVD encodes.
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-04-28/the-art-of-closed-captioning/.115428

Ah, thanks! I forgot about that article, actually.

russ869 wrote:
atyamamoto wrote:
I tried working with an authoring house that advertised itself as being "subtitle aficionados" specializing in indie titles for picky audiences, but they were totally paralyzed by the level of detail required for the project --
customized placement of subtitles, overlapping subtitles, etc.

Honestly, none of what you mentioned is hard. Anyone who has had experience subtitling any anime at all should be capable of doing this. I'm talking from experience. Clearly them being "subtitle aficionados" was total baloney.

Might not be hard for you if you've had experience in subtitling anime. atyamamoto's point is that subtitling for foreign-language films have none of those things, and they did not expect to have to do any of them making subtitles for anime, expecting it to be just like the foreign-language films they had done prior. (Overlapping subtitles may be an exception though, but it might not have ever come up if they've never done subtitles for a movie where characters talk over other characters.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Yet another reason why we should all watch dubs. Wink

An often overlooked fact to those that we call "sub elitists" is there are some people who have eye problems. Dubs make that easier to hear.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Blu-rays were originally supposed to fix all of this by allowing text script subtitles instead of graphics based ones, but that feature ended up not working at all, and no disc that I know of uses it. Did I mention that Blu-ray is an ungodly mess of a format?

For us non-tech non-insiders, who don't have personal arcane idiosyncratic grudges against the tech composition of a new format (and HDDVD didn't have room to be good at pushing any envelope, FWIH):
How is that complaint different from the alternate "Signs and song lyrics subtitled" tracks for those who watch DVD dubs, and if not, why can't Blu do it? Any more layman explanation?

(Just off the subject, I remember AnimEigo doing their own bitmapped subs on the Urusei Yatsura videos, and the "secret messages" encoded with Greek Symbol font whenever Lum's mom spoke alien gibberish: "If you can read this, you are a true otaku." Wink )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3