• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Right Stuf! has been dealing with Japanese companies for a number of years. I don't think they are silly enough to announce the release of anything unless they already had a license. Even if they didn't upset the Japanese licensor, it would put them at a tremendous disadvantage in negotiating price. If they didn't have the license they wouldn't have mentioned it in the specifications of the third season and would have responded "can't confirm or deny" to inquiries. I suspect they were simply waiting for the third season Kickstarter to announce the acquisition.

In the past announcing something before all the paperwork is signed has gotten at least one company in trouble. Right Stuf! is by no means perfect, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they are that dumb. We will just have to wait and see.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Ordered from the Section23 sale at TRSI:

SCHOOL-LIVE! Premium Box Set Blu-ray/DVD

I made sure to redo my GotAnime membership before ordering as it has been a long time since I ordered anything from TRSI.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Another order from the sale at TRSI:

The Squid Girl Premium Edition Box Set Blu-Ray/DVD

I had hesitated because I hate having to rebuy season 1 as it appears Sentai is only releasing this show with both seasons together. In addition it's a pre-order and it's scheduled to come out around Black Friday so the charge will hit then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - er, I'm not quite sure what point you are making. I would never imagine Nozomi announcing the licensing of a title before it was a done deal, of course. All I'm saying is that from the outside, it is impossible to tell if they had Avvenire right from the beginning of the KS (or earlier) or if they only nailed it down once the KS was underway. Remember, when the KS began, they made no indication of offering Avvenire. They only started calling the KS "Dub ALL of Aria" after they made the announcement of having the license to Avvenire.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Actually, I think we are on the same page. It doesn't really matter if Avvenire was licensed a month ago or 15 minutes before the third season was added to the Kickstarter.

My initial response was to Animegomaniac who initially doubted the license was finalized.
Quote:
but for my own spending rationalizing it's a preorder on an item 1) That's still only theoretically licensed and 2) If it's not produced, I will not get a refund.

And then expressed a concern that finalization of details would somehow mess up the release of the third season.
Quote:
there's a number of hurdles it has to go through like when it can be released, how it can be packaged and how much if has to cost and all of those were decided very quickly during the course of the campaign. From "Oh right, we didn't license it" to "How much?" to "This is how it'll be released".

Frankly, I don't think the Dark Lord of Right Stuf! is inexperienced enough to announce anything that isn't nailed down as well as anything can be. That is, I don't think the bundling of Avvenire with the third season is going to cause any problems.

Also, between the beginning of the kickstarter and the announcement that Avvenire would be included with the fourth package was something between one and two weeks. Unless people have been lying to us, you can't negotiate and finalize a license for an anime program in that timeframe. So either the license was already in hand or was in the final stages at the time the kickstarter was begun. Which doesn't matter. As far as the timing of an announcement, that is the sort of information you release when it does you the most good, as in when you are soliciting the season that contains it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I get you now. Yep, we are most definitely on the same page.
Pantha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I finally got a much-needed fifth bookcase, yall! The bookcase is cheap wood, but it's 80" with three adjustable shelves and one fixed shelf. The other four bookcases are 75" but sturdy...and very expensive. I finally have my entire anime library on display, even the bulky NISA releases! On one wall! Once I get the sixth bookcase, I'll move the anime and use the cheap one for my manga. All anime bought from RightStuf unless otherwise noted:

Amagi Brilliant Park LE box set
The Eccentric Family PE box set. Bought from RACS via Amazon. I haven't bought anything from RACS in years.

Devil is a Part-timer LE box set. Bought from Overstock.com
Familiar of Zero F Complete Collection (DVD)
Good Witch of the West Complete Collection (DVD)
Tamako Love Story

Manga

My Little Monster Vol. 13 (just so happens to be a weekly special item). In RightStuf's Kodansha sale a few weeks ago, I ordered Vol. 1-12 because I thought the series was only 12 volumes long.

Pre-orders
Haikyuu box set. I already have the bare-bones DVD release, but I love this series enough to buy the snazzy version.

Mobile Suit Gundam Iron-blooded Orphans LE box set
Revolutionary Girl Utena box set I still have the original release from Central Park Media!

Your Name LE. The week Funimation announced their release schedule, I tried to import this from yes.asia. My credit card kept getting rejected (apparently ordering from the site sets off a fraudulent alert). I guess I dodged a bullet!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
As far as the timing of an announcement, that is the sort of information you release when it does you the most good, as in when you are soliciting the season that contains it.

Like trying to add a wow factor to get people to up their ante to that final third tier. Wink Would love to see a survey and know how many people decided to move up to those +++ tiers due to the announcement.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
From the Sentai Sale:

Amagi Brilliant Park Complete Collection BD

Also Pre-Ordered:
Flying Witch Complete Collection BD
Squid Girl Seasons 1&2 BD
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Today from the comic shop:
Manga:
7th Garden volume 6
Brides Story volume 9
How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend volume 7
Kiss Me at the Stroke of Midnight volume 1
Nichijou volume 10
Of the Red, the Light and the Ayakashi volume 8
Plum Crazy Tales of a Tiger Striped Cat volume 2
Today's Cerberus volume 5
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Ordered To Love Ru Darkness 2 & No Game No Life from the Sentai sale. Also bought the Sekirei vol 1 manga as I had vol 2 pre-ordered but somehow forgot to get vol 1.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Seeing the January 2018 pre-order slate for Sentai, I bought Haikyu's second season and Naisho no Tsubomi. Since the Sentai sale was still ongoing on the site, took advantage of it to save $15 off the combined total for both titles thus only costing me about $60 for both titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Went to Baltimore Comic Con for a day! They have one day passes, which is handy for me.
Got these for $5 a piece

Akame ga Kill Zero 4, 5
A Certain Magical Index manga 2,3,5,9,10
Devil Survivor 1
Inuyashiki 6
One Piece 77-83
Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea
Zelda: Minish Cap/Phantom Hourglass

Also bought some indy comics and some art prints!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Received from TRSI in today's mail:

Novel:
Gosick volume 1

DVD:
Marmalade Boy volume 1

Bluray:
Tamako Love Story
Hyouka part 1
wmderemer
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
This past weekend...

Manga (Barnes & Noble)
----------------------------------
Nisekoi 23
NTR Netsuzou Trap 3
Bloom Into You 3
Love and Lies 1

Anime (FYE)
----------------------
School Days Blu-ray (used)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1299 of 1399