• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: In Another World With My Smartphone

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer is complaining about the harem stuff that happens in a harem show. That is no different than complaining about the handsome guys in Dances with Devils since they are getting in the way of the story. Smartphone isn't trying to be a drama like Sakura Quest. For the most part harem shows are wish fulfillment. Granted Smartphone is the undiluted form of wish fulfillment and I do have issues with the show but this episode is about right for a harem show.

Of course Francesca is going to declare Touya to be her owner and there was a show last season where an android did the same thing in an even more perverted way. Smartphone even had some fun with how Francesca would have reacted had Touya behaved differently. As for the setup about the other floating islands that won't be in the anime that is typical for a show that is based on an ongoing light novel.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like this show needs that one woman that loves Touya so much, that she has to kill all the others to get him all to herself.

Even the Pharoahs had to deal with problems in their harems.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The reviewer is complaining about the harem stuff that happens in a harem show. That is no different than complaining about the handsome guys in Dances with Devils since they are getting in the way of the story. Smartphone isn't trying to be a drama like Sakura Quest. For the most part harem shows are wish fulfillment. Granted Smartphone is the undiluted form of wish fulfillment and I do have issues with the show but this episode is about right for a harem show.

He wasn't exactly complaining about the harem antics this episode but the fact that it took over the episode when there was literally a handful of more interesting things to do at the same time other then the cliché boring and redundant harem crap. And to be completely honest they could have definitely put some kind of trial or conflict into him gaining the flying fortress, even if he was gonna easily beat it.

And just because its not trying to be something doesn't mean its working well without it.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I've found that the light novels are better, if only because I take an odd pleasure in reading trash.

Can't wait for the last episode to see if I'm right in how they plan to end it.
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I felt it was pretty clear that the reviewer's problem with the episode (and the show as a whole) isn't that it's a harem show, it's that it's a really bad one.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
He wasn't exactly complaining about the harem antics this episode but the fact that it took over the episode when there was literally a handful of more interesting things to do at the same time other then the cliché boring and redundant harem crap. And to be completely honest they could have definitely put some kind of trial or conflict into him gaining the flying fortress, even if he was gonna easily beat it.

And just because its not trying to be something doesn't mean its working well without it.
I am of two minds when it comes to Smartphone. On one hand I would not hold this show up as a good example of a harem show since it does have issues. On the other hand this show is not the garbage fire that the reviews make it out to be. It is a harem show and that means that it has a lot of wish fulfillment. The reviewer of Dances with Devils wasn't complaining that the handsome guys were stereotypical or that their constant attempts at romance were getting in the way of the story since she understood that was what the show was about. Trying to judge Smartphone by the same standards as Sakura Quest doesn't make sense. It would be like judging a comedy show by the standards of a horror show and being disappointed every week.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
As stated by others, the problem isn't that it is a harem show, it is far more an issue of it being on the low end of the harem genre. A genre which is already littered with mediocre shows. And while most harem characters are cookie cutter in nature to several generic types, this show even fails at that aspect. The characters get out of their character type quite often yet not in any kind of believable way. And not in a way that adds anything to their overall personality. More importantly, not a single one of these characters interact well with the MC. It truly stretches the old "Why do you love him? Just because I do!" to a ridiculous point. Add to that the fact the show seems to want to spend most of its time forcing meaningless scenes on us one after another, and it all adds up. Is the show as bad as some recent harem entries like Hand Shakers or Lance N` Masques, certainly not, but that doesn't make it a good show either. And this is coming from someone who's favorite genre is the harem genre. It is just not a good show. And that makes for the biggest complaint. The reviewer sees what might have been a decent (at least better) show, but just isn't..
Taifood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I enjoy Smartphone due to nostalgia and because it is pure undiluted wish fulfillment. There are certain things I wish the show didn't do but I usually find it entertaining. Of course everyone has different tastes and I generally like isekai shows.
How do you unironically like wish fulfillment? Doesn't that get boring? Touya is quite possibly the most OP harem protagonist I've ever seen, and not to mention the densest too. Couple that with an unrealistic/near impossible personality, man Touya is definitely someone that'll keep me interested. Every single character is insanely generic.

The reviewer is 100% correct when they keep saying the show isn't taking any risks. Absolutely nothing happens each episode. I could remove episodes and I wouldn't be able to tell. The last episode I saw was the beach one, and wouldn't you know it he enslaves another god.

Sigh.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

I am of two minds when it comes to Smartphone. On one hand I would not hold this show up as a good example of a harem show since it does have issues. On the other hand this show is not the garbage fire that the reviews make it out to be. It is a harem show and that means that it has a lot of wish fulfillment. The reviewer of Dances with Devils wasn't complaining that the handsome guys were stereotypical or that their constant attempts at romance were getting in the way of the story since she understood that was what the show was about. Trying to judge Smartphone by the same standards as Sakura Quest doesn't make sense. It would be like judging a comedy show by the standards of a horror show and being disappointed every week.

You're the one comparing it to sakura quest not the reviewer.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I am of two minds when it comes to Smartphone. On one hand I would not hold this show up as a good example of a harem show since it does have issues. On the other hand this show is not the garbage fire that the reviews make it out to be. It is a harem show and that means that it has a lot of wish fulfillment.

Isekai Smartphone is the shining example of how not to write a story. Throughout the entirety of the 3 volumes the anime is going to cover, not once is Touya thrown into a situation he can't solve in a matter of minutes. Everything goes right for him. He doesn't even have some kind of problem with never seeing his family again in the beginning of the show. He just accepts that he's died and moves on into the new world after God sets him up with everything he'd ever need to get started. This is a plot point that could have been used to endear him to the girls with something other than "he's a nice guy." It's not like God told him he couldn't tell people where he came from. He's only resisted because he wouldn't be able to prove it and he didn't want the attention it would bring him. I imagine the girls would believe him by now, especially since they aren't even surprised by anything else he can do anymore.

It only keeps spiraling out of control from there. The only time he gets something even close to resembling a challenge happens in the 4th volume...and the anime isn't going to touch that unless it somehow gets another season.

It's fine if you like the show—I liked it enough to buy the 4 currently available light novels—but let's not delude ourselves into thinking this isn't a bad story. A lot could have been done to make Touya and the girls into better characters.
EmpyreanBlaze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
You see, here's the thing I don't understand about these shows.

SAO is popular because of its blend of sci-fi, action and romance that appeals to a lot of people. Konosuba is popular because of its wacky comedy. Harems tend to be popular because of boobs, buts and panties.

When there's no high stakes action, no drama, no wacky sense of humour and no pantyshots... what's the point? What is there to enjoy? Who is it made for?

Because those tropes are already over-saturated, and there's something different for once? At least that's what I think.

Personally, I like watching some relaxing, no drama shows sometimes where you don't have to overthink things. These types (Isekai Shokudou being another example) are a breath of fresh air when implemented right (and you don't watch too much too soon).

I also admit I like playing games in easy mode, many times with a completed save file (lack of time and energy I guess). Touya is doing something quite similar lol. Anyhow YMWV, but in the end it's overall popularity matters most.

*I guess what really stands out is that Smartphone Isekai has one of the relaxing, almost drama-free plot combined with a normally action-packed RPG setting...
Reibubba

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
I can't help but think that the reviewers are missing the point and reading waaaaay too much into this series. They're reviewing a deep fantasy series in the Sekai trope and missing entirely the point that it's a bit of light novel inspired fun with feelgood and harem undertones.

Yeah, compared to many alternate world anime (or manga) this one is a bit of a lightweight, but frankly who cares ? It's a series anout a nice guy doing what he feels is the right thing and getting rewarded for doing it - though not in the way he may have anticipated. It's relaxing to watch - and after a hard days work that suits me just fine.

I'm happily enjoying the translated light novels and don't see any reason to stop. It's fun, it's harmless, long may it continue !
Goober2049

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Reibubba wrote:
I can't help but think that the reviewers are missing the point and reading waaaaay too much into this series. They're reviewing a deep fantasy series in the Sekai trope and missing entirely the point that it's a bit of light novel inspired fun with feelgood and harem undertones.

Yeah, compared to many alternate world anime (or manga) this one is a bit of a lightweight, but frankly who cares ? It's a series anout a nice guy doing what he feels is the right thing and getting rewarded for doing it - though not in the way he may have anticipated. It's relaxing to watch - and after a hard days work that suits me just fine.

I'm happily enjoying the translated light novels and don't see any reason to stop. It's fun, it's harmless, long may it continue !

He's a nice guy until you threaten one of the girls. Then he turns into your worst nightmare. It's too bad none of that really made it into the show.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Is the show as bad as some recent harem entries like Hand Shakers or Lance N` Masques, certainly not, but that doesn't make it a good show either. And this is coming from someone who's favorite genre is the harem genre. It is just not a good show. And that makes for the biggest complaint. The reviewer sees what might have been a decent (at least better) show, but just isn't..
Smartphone has issues but it knows where it is going and for the most part is having fun while heading in that direction. I think that makes me more forgiving of Smartphone than a show like Rewrite in which the story is so serious that it saps the fun out of it. I also enjoy pleasant fantasy shows and that is likely a factor as well.
Doompa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer has been reviewing from a biased soapbox this entire season .This is the problem with ANN reviews. They come in having certain prejudices against a certain type of series and will go out of their way to negatively review it while claiming a moral highground in a series such as this (harem, fanservice, LN).

If they have reviewers that clearly don't want to watch a certain type of series then don' them review it. This is why people disregard their reviews and why they are regarded as smug elitests.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12