• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Dub The Ancient Magus' Bride, Dies Irae, Kino's Journey, Juni Taisen, Urahara An

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
paulchaested wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

I don't believe it was announced CR got the exclusive license to Food Wars S3, just the streaming rights. This used to happen all the time that CR would stream shows, and then later Sentai would license them for home video and even stream them on their own services like HiDive.

I dunno, this is the very first time ever for CR getting WORLDWIDE rights for Food Wars which makes me believe they do indeed have the master license to it*. The previous seasons we're certain territories sublicensed to CR by Sentai. I would imagine CR sub licensing the dub/home video to Sentai if Funi doesn't simuldub (which honestly I don't think they will).

I am willing to believe that Crunchyroll has the master license, and that they could commission the dub to Sentai. But it would be a shame if Sentai is unable to release the series on disc because I seriously doubt CR-Funi will put out a nice LE release, like how Sentai did for the first season.

I hope that Sentai has home video rights because that would prevent headaches for both the fans and the companies involved.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Amazon better not swipe BBB from them. After Bahamut S2 nobody can tell if a second season is a guaranteed Funimation/CR license thanks to those scumbags throwing $$$ around (also there BETTER be a chance of Funi getting video rights for Bahamut S2 because Amazon sure loves not answering whether or not they have those)
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
FUNimation and Crunchyroll just dominating this season in terms of pick up. Very solid list, which should only get better.

I must have read the wrong list then. The one I saw had a mix of "Beauty and the Bluebeard", "More Boring Adventures With Kino" and "Fate/Stay/Lite" on it.

Well, Kino's Journey is anything but boring (There was never a point when I watched the original that I thought was lacking something) and The Ancient Magus' Bride isn't the exact same as Beauty and the Beast (As if that's actually a bad thing when it isn't). This sounds like a case of judging entire shows' quality by their covers, which is, quite frankly, not always the best thing to do when it comes to watching anime. Let's at least wait until they're out before we start judging it fully, hmm?

Anyway, man is Funimation going to be busy this upcoming Fall season. I sincerely hope the people involved aren't worked too hard and hope that they can also do a great job for us fans. Fall looks to be quite the exciting season and I'm extremely looking forward to it. Best of luck to them.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am willing to believe that Crunchyroll has the master license, and that they could commission the dub to Sentai. But it would be a shame if Sentai is unable to release the series on disc because I seriously doubt CR-Funi will put out a nice LE release, like how Sentai did for the first season.

I hope that Sentai has home video rights because that would prevent headaches for both the fans and the companies involved.

If it's anything like Haikyu s3, Sentai should be fine getting rights to Food Wars s3 since Crunchyroll has the master license to that as well.
Koda89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Amazon better not swipe BBB from them. After Bahamut S2 nobody can tell if a second season is a guaranteed Funimation/CR license thanks to those scumbags throwing $$$ around (also there BETTER be a chance of Funi getting video rights for Bahamut S2 because Amazon sure loves not answering whether or not they have those)

Going forward a lot of it is going to come down to if a show is part of the animation blocks Amazon are buying up wholesale. Already got noitaminA and Animeism. I highly doubt they will cease with just those two. It could eventually get to the point where the majority of their Strike lineup is comprised of shows from the blocks they licensed. Crying or Very sad
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

If it's anything like Haikyu s3, Sentai should be fine getting rights to Food Wars s3 since Crunchyroll has the master license to that as well.

In my opinion, I don't think Sentai would be able to license Season 3 since Crunchyroll/Funimation deal wouldn't allow it because Crunchyroll must share all there shows with Funimation plus knowing Funimation would like to get its hand on the series. Plus I don't think Sentai would make a deal with Crunchyroll knowing full well that Amazon is giving them a huge check and that Crunchyroll distributor is Funimation.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
Around 4:15PM AZ time on 9/21/17, I sent Kelli a PM on her FB page. Linking this new article, I told her "I get that you might not be voicing Kino again, but some people in the comments section really enjoyed your role as her."
Milzn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
I hope they will dub My Girlfriend is ShoBitch and Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte Kara
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
Article forgot to list Recovery of an MMO Junkie. That one is also getting a simuldub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
paulchaested

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
[quote="Araragifeels"]
NJ_ wrote:

In my opinion, I don't think Sentai would be able to license Season 3 since Crunchyroll/Funimation deal wouldn't allow it because Crunchyroll must share all there shows with Funimation plus knowing Funimation would like to get its hand on the series. Plus I don't think Sentai would make a deal with Crunchyroll knowing full well that Amazon is giving them a huge check and that Crunchyroll distributor is Funimation.

It's really not a matter of must but a matter of what makes more sense. If CR sublicense Food Wars S3 to Funi for a simuldub then Funi would likely have to recruit/hire the same Houston-based voice actors that Sentai had for the first season which I would imagine would be more difficult and time consuming. It would make more sense for CR to sublicense it to Sentai since Sentai licensed the first two seasons and have already dubbed/distributed the first season. Same deal with Haikyuu S3 back in Fall 2016 when the partnership began, they could've gave it to Funi but instead allowed Sentai to dub it.
paulchaested

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

I wonder if CR or Miles from CR will post another of these lists of what shows CR holds the master license to from Spring 2017 to this season. As far as I know, I know for a fact that they are the producers to these shows and hold the master license to it:
-Restaurant to another World
-A Centaur's life,
-The Reflection
-Classroom of the elite
-Kino's Journey
-Urahara
-The Ancient Magus' Bride
-Alice & Zoroku (confirmed by Miles himself saying that they sublicensed it to Funi)
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The Ancient Magus' Bride getting dubbed was a forgone conclusion for me; I hope the dub is top notch. Yesterday I finally watched Those Awaiting a Star, and it confirmed that AMB deserves the hype and could be this year's best anime series.

Ohhh, I'm so excited! I just started reading the manga and everything I've heard about the OVAs and the upcoming TV show sound amazing!
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
#862720 wrote:
Any news on whether any of these are gonna get a "same day dub" ?

Depends how far in advance Japan give FUNi masters, BONES for example gave FUNi 6 MHA S2 episodes well in advance (Not sure how far but 10 weeks I think) and so FUNi were able to release the first 6 episodes same day. I'd expect the usual 2-3 weeks behind.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
#862720 wrote:
Any news on whether any of these are gonna get a "same day dub" ?

Depends how far in advance Japan give FUNi masters, BONES for example gave FUNi 6 MHA S2 episodes well in advance (Not sure how far but 10 weeks I think) and so FUNi were able to release the first 6 episodes same day. I'd expect the usual 2-3 weeks behind.

MHA actually went for 14 episodes with a day 1 simuldub, BONES had a really strong production schedule.

If I had to guess, BBB and Magus are the most likely series to receive day 1 simuldubs. Thought FUNimation heavy advertising for Black Clover makes me think it might be a possibility. It's really all a matter of relation between FUNi and whoever provide the material.
Funimation
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
More announcements to come! Cool

https://www.funimation.com/blog/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4