• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Strike Adds The Garden of Sinners Film Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="relyat08"]
mangamuscle wrote:
Only if you don't already have Prime does this kind of suck!

I hate to repeat myself, but if you look at my previous post you will realize it also suck for the rest of the world since strike is an USA only thing. So even if the rest of the world subscribes to prime, the stike exclusives are out of reach.

Quote:
If you have Prime, as many do, and use it on a regular basis, this is not a bad deal,

Why do you think I said it was a cage? You are intelligent, come on, give it little thought. Nothing? I have said before in this messageboard, just like Netflix separated their physical business (sending discs on their catalog to clients, their original business), so will someday not so far away Amazon do the same; separate the physical business of sending next day packages for a fee from their streaming business. You might say "Hey, when that happens I will drop it so fast you will hear the thud sound!" only you will then realize there is no longer an equivalent streaming service available, Why do you think it is so cheap? Amazon is atm trying to demolish any competitors, just like they have just started with their Whole Foods acquisition, They have the same motto as the movie Highlander.

So that is why I am fighting the impossible fight against goliath, Crunchyroll atm has lot of flaws, but a behemoth like Amazon has no idea or interest in serving the anime community, they just was to engulf it asap.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

I hate to repeat myself, but if you look at my previous post you will realize it also suck for the rest of the world since strike is an USA only thing. So even if the rest of the world subscribes to prime, the stike exclusives are out of reach.

I already mentioned it sucks for people outside of their service area.

Quote:

Why do you think I said it was a cage? You are intelligent, come on, give it little thought. Nothing? I have said before in this messageboard, just like Netflix separated their physical business (sending discs on their catalog to clients, their original business), so will someday not so far away Amazon do the same; separate the physical business of sending next day packages for a fee from their streaming business. You might say "Hey, when that happens I will drop it so fast you will hear the thud sound!" only you will then realize there is no longer an equivalent streaming service available, Why do you think it is so cheap? Amazon is atm trying to demolish any competitors, just like they have just started with their Whole Foods acquisition, They have the same motto as the movie Highlander.

Your wording is excessively confusing, but I guess I can assume some of your meaning..
I've been a Prime member for 8 years, I don't have any worries that I will soon no longer find use for it. If anything, my use for it has gone up. And comparing this to Netflix's stratification doesn't really make sense. Anime Strike is already separate from Prime, and Prime has only increased in the amount of content that is included within it since I've been a member. Sure, they are trying to dominate the market, but that doesn't make their service less valuable to me. And there is currently more than enough competition. I'm not worried about them killing CR or Netflix for a good long while, if that ever happens.

Last edited by relyat08 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
The most expensive anime film series can now be watched in the most expensive streaming service. That's... cool?

At least Aniplex of America has a better reputation with the community because of their high-end library.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:30 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

It no doubt it looks like a tasty morsel, but it still is in fact the lure to a cage.

"Cage" implies something that will be locked once one enters. A cage that leaves the door open and the person doesn't want to leave because it is comfortable isn't a cage.

Quote:
For us (the rest of the world) those shows are still unavailable since Anime Strike is USA only. There is a higher probability that Crunchy would stream it outside the USA

3 of 5 titles I could cite as examples were actually available on Prime outside the US before Strike ever existed. They were in fact the clue something was up, since the US seemed to be the only exclusion.

You seemed to miss my point about "going unlicensed for years", or perhaps you purposely ignored it.

The remaining two are AoA titles, rather than ones licensed directly by Amazon. As with the titles licensed from Sentai, those appear to be Strike only, although the Sentai titles are available in other countries on HIDIVE.

One of those AoA titles is Bakemonogatari, which CR has had for years. Yet, in all those years, it has remained 480p and without episodes 13-15. Amazon has it in HD, and with those episodes CR users had requested, but CR had never been either able or willing to provide.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
YaaaaY! the series AOA wanted a house payment for on blu-ray!

So watch these in the correct order.. and it will make sense.. good series of movies overall but very confusing if you watch them in numerical order.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
A good choice, always good to see something I like get the chance to appeal to a wider audience. I won't be watching it there since I've got my Blu-rays though.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm not worried about them killing CR or Netflix for a good long while, if that ever happens.

Netflix's worry atm is that big studios (i.e. Disney) will make their own streaming services in the next couple of years, attempting to remove the middleman (aka Netflix).

Crunchyroll and Hidive on the other side are small enough to be easily affected by big streaming services. Netflix is already making many top tier animes their exclusives, add anime strike and smaller services may find themselves without at least one "must see" series next season, which no doubt will decrease paying membership which will decrease the budget they have for getting new series and becoming a vicious circle.

TheAncientOne wrote:
"Cage" implies something that will be locked once one enters. A cage that leaves the door open and the person doesn't want to leave because it is comfortable isn't a cage.

That the gate is open atm does not mean there is no clock ticking to close it in the near future, meanwhile, bring your friends and relatives, it is really comfy inside.

Quote:
You seemed to miss my point about "going unlicensed for years", or perhaps you purposely ignored it.

Not at all, if they are not available locally for all practical purposes it is still unlicensed from my point of view. FYI I checked and Garden of Sinners is not available locally (and locally there is no Anime Strike) in Amazon Prime.

Quote:
although the Sentai titles are available in other countries on HIDIVE.

Yeah, Hidive carries Princess Principal, Battle Girl High School, Love and Lies, Sagrada Reset, Made in Abyss, Vatican Miracle Examiner, etc. locally, for a fee, without spanish subtitles, would you think that an anime is available to you if said streamer only offered spanish (or portuguese or french) subtitles?

Quote:
One of those AoA titles is Bakemonogatari, which CR has had for years. Yet, in all those years, it has remained 480p and without episodes 13-15. Amazon has it in HD, and with those episodes CR users had requested, but CR had never been either able or willing to provide.

I checked (I have the anime prime app in my smartphone even though I do not pay prime) and Bakemonogatari is *not* available at all, meanwhile most of it is available free (with ads) in Crunchyroll, if you were in my shoes would you praise Amazon?
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

That the gate is open atm does not mean there is no clock ticking to close it in the near future, meanwhile, bring your friends and relatives, it is really comfy inside.

Given that you didn't even hint on how this might happen, it sounds like nothing more than fear mongering, a bit like the people that warn about big bad Google hoovering up our data (while it is companies like Equifax we should have been afraid of).

Quote:

I checked (I have the anime prime app in my smartphone even though I do not pay prime) and Bakemonogatari is *not* available at all, meanwhile most of it is available free (with ads) in Crunchyroll, if you were in my shoes would you praise Amazon?

As I noted previously, AoA and Sentai series appear to be Anime Strike only, with only the titles licensed by Amazon directly available elsewhere on Prime.

As you noted yourself, you aren't deprived of the series, as it didn't suddenly become an AS exclusive. CR never provided those 3 episodes AS has, so AS isn't taking anything away from you on that front, either.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Given that you didn't even hint on how this might happen, it sounds like nothing more than fear mongering, a bit like the people that warn about big bad Google hoovering up our data (while it is companies like Equifax we should have been afraid of).

I think I have been quite clear, Anime Strike intends to do away with services like Crunchyroll by monopolizing each season most popular series. When they have achieved a level of preponderance (not only on anime) on streaming markets they will separate their video streaming from their goods shipping market (like netflix did with their dvd disc mailing business) and then they will so slowly increase prices and start adding more "channels" (like anime strike) to jack prices up like commercial cable did for decades. Then the cable cutter movement would have lost, say hi to your new streaming overlords, same as old cable overlords.

Quote:
As you noted yourself, you aren't deprived of the series, as it didn't suddenly become an AS exclusive. CR never provided those 3 episodes AS has, so AS isn't taking anything away from you on that front, either.

The statement you wanted to make was "Anime Strike has given us the three Bakemonogatari episodes Crunchy did not" and when I pointed that is not true for the rest of the world you blatantly try to switch your stance to "Anime Strike did not removed availability of Bakemonogatari in your region".
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

Assuming for the purposes of discussion, that your scenario correctly states Amazon's intentions and that there is a possibility that they will be successful. What do you propose to do about it? Do you really think you can discourage enough people to kill Anime Strike? For people who are already Prime subscribes, Anime Strike is a good deal. For those who are not and do not want to be Prime subscribers, Amazon is doing a fine job of discouraging people. You can call it all the names you want but you can't change anything.

With regard to streaming in general, not just anime, it is likely that in the next few years a number of companies will attempt to get into the business. This will be followed by consolidation as the smaller companies fall by the wayside or are bought up. Anime streaming will undoubtedly be part of this. When we get down to three or four major companies it is likely in the US the government will step in to maintain competition. Or maybe not. Regardless we are a decade or two away from that. It is possible niche streaming companies will be able to survive but I doubt it. This scenario is actually an improvement over the current status with cable companies as the streaming companies will have to compete. Most cable companies are monopolies in any given area.

Regardless how it shakes out, the individual consumer can do nothing by try to enjoy what they have available.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Do you really think you can discourage enough people to kill Anime Strike?

I apply to thy the first and second laws of Clarke. This is the internet, where one voice can multiply by a million, so while I have no statistics, I do think that not stating my mind would be beyond lazy. While I do accept that (like in presidential elections or climate change) it is nigh impossible to change the minds of those that have already decided "the right choice", there are out there people that have yet to make a choice and those are most of the times the ones that decide who wins and who fails and those are the ones I hope that read my posts.

As to whether streaming services will consolidate or we will have a bunch of channels (each with mostly different offerings), atm I do not think there is a clear trend.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

Feel free to shovel shit against the tide as long as you care to. You are as likely to be successful as those trying to put Aniplex out of business by complaining about price. Getting a majority of anime fans to agree on anything is likely impossible.

If you don't get consolidation, your fears of Amazon taking over are groundless. Having streaming broken into a lot of small companies is likely the most expensive route for anyone who wants to see everything.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

The statement you wanted to make was "Anime Strike has given us the three Bakemonogatari episodes Crunchy did not" and when I pointed that is not true for the rest of the world you blatantly try to switch your stance to "Anime Strike did not removed availability of Bakemonogatari in your region".

As Anime Strike is a US-only service, the meaning of "us" should have been clear. Of course, I didn't actually say "us", that is you putting words in my mouth. Here is what I said (with emphasis added on some salient points):

Quote:

Literally in the paragraph above that I had stated:
Quote:
The remaining two are AoA titles, rather than ones licensed directly by Amazon. As with the titles licensed from Sentai, those appear to be Strike only,

Surely you were aware Bakemonogatari was an AoA series. Yet, you seemed to feel it necessary to point out something I had already stated (that it likely wasn't available outside the US via Amazon).

I didn't switch, I pointed out that it literally didn't affect you in Mexico. Nothing had changed regarding Bakemonogatari for you from before AS existed.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
If you don't get consolidation, your fears of Amazon taking over are groundless.

Please re-read the last sentence of my prior post, it means that it can go both ways (depending on how we, the consumers, choose).

Quote:
Having streaming broken into a lot of small companies is likely the most expensive route for anyone who wants to see everything.

No human being can see everything streamed nowadays. Now, if you mean every anime, nope, you can't either. But if you mean having access to all new (and some old) anime to choose which ones you like, that can be achieved with five or less (depending on your tastes) until Anime Strike came into the picture, under their scheme they might later on choose to create "the aniplex channel", "the kadokawa channel", etc. to milk the demographic and then nobody will have access to everything unless they spend big every month for a bunch of channels to get the one series you are interested in. Like in the "good old days" when you bought a LP/CD with one good song and a bunch of filler songs most people don't cared about.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, aside from issues over how accessible the streaming service in question is, it's still good to see this series become more accessible, particularly given how good it is. It's not a series that's ever really been reasonably priced. Even now, the standard edition release that came out years after the original, limited edition release is still over $300, which means that this series has really only ever been accessible to folks who have a decent amount of disposable income. There are far too many anime fans - many of whom are perfectly willing to pay for anime - who have never been able to afford to watch this series legally. If it had been released by anyone but Aniplex, we would have had a much more reasonably priced set available long before now, even if they'd released an expensive, limited edition like Aniplex did. But this is Aniplex that we're talking about here. If any show is worth the cost, it's probably an Aniplex show, since they usually only charge bank for really good shows, but it's still downright painful to pay that much even when you can afford to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2