• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Drastic Character Design Changes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
I notice that the 1990s reboots that are Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 are absent here.

I approve of this. Indeed, I am happy to contend that such works do not even exist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Pokemon may look much better in motion now than it did in the long-lost days when I caught it on Kids' WB after school, but dear sweet lord I cannot get over how colossally stupid those squiggles on Ash's face look.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
i'm more surprised that heroic legend of arslan isnt on this list considering that it got a massive overhaul.

the original OVAs which artwork was sort of faithful to the light novel source materials was completely dumped for arakawa's (full metal alchemist's author) art style when it was released in manga form , which was kept for its anime tv series.

while it wasnt as big of a deal as pocket monsters sun and moon , fans of the LN was furious in the forums on how different the artwork for the tv series was from the LN and having arakawa do the manga is nothing but a bad gimmick.

and as for SM crystal, this is more or less what the author herself wanted for the series. for the artwork for the new tv series to be faithful to the manga's artwork.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the original OVAs which artwork was sort of faithful to the light novel source materials was completely dumped for arakawa's (full metal alchemist's author) art style when it was released in manga form , which was kept for its anime tv series.

Of course, as the tv series is an adaptation of Arakawa's manga.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
The poll results for the most anticipated Fall shows make a lot of sense. The only surprising thing to me is that Love Live! Sunshine!! S2 is not in the top 5. For the new poll I voted for Cardcaptor Sakura. I am not a big CLAMP fan, but the few anime I have seen from them is nice.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
The Rozen Maiden anime could qualify for this list as well. The original character designs for the first two seasons + OVAs were awful and looked nothing like Peach-Pit's art. They were also unfaithful to the manga. The character designs for Rozen Maiden: Zurückspulen were so much better, and it was actually faithful to the manga this time... spoiler[although the first episode shoved the entire first season of the manga (the reprinted 7 volume edition) into 24 minutes, which ended up feeling really rushed, and the last episode didn't really follow the manga properly.]

I'm convinced they're under some kind of curse. The more popular their manga is, the worse its anime adaption is... except for the voice actors and music, those always end up being good choices. But everything else is always so bad... especially the character designs and how they're never faithful to the manga.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil was fantastic. I really need to buy it...

I'd vote Cybuster for most drastic character design changes.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Best ANIME-CLAMP-> CardCaptor
Best manga-CLAMP-> CLAMP school detective

The anime adaptation of CCS is just way too good and provides just too many improvements. The 2nd movie best of all time stuff. That ending! I feel all happy just thinking about it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The backlash to Sun and Moon's art is mostly a western fandom thing. I haven't really noticed fans on Japanese sites complain about it much, if at all.

-Stuart Smith
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Flowers of Evil was terrible. It was an interesting dark work with a classic art style, yet by rotoscoping it, the focus went away from the content of the work, to oh look they drastically changed the art style. I couldn't honestly even watch it.

By the way how is Tenchi not on this list? The art style for it has changed by my count over five times. You went from the OVA/Universe series which were similar to Tokyo to OVA 3/GXP to Tenchi short released a year ago. And then even the spin off Pretty Sammy which kind of looked like the original went to Sasami Magical Girl club.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Given the results of the last poll, I am apparently the only person looking forward to the new season of Wake Up, Girls!
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Damn, no Juuni Taisen on here at all, eh? I'm surprised people seem so disinterested in that show. It's basically freaking Monogatari/Katanagatari x Fate/Zero/Battle Royale, for Christ's sake.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
For the new poll I voted for Cardcaptor Sakura. I am not a big CLAMP fan, but the few anime I have seen from them is nice.

Got my vote too. The only way Cardcaptor Sakura won't place first, is if someone breaks into the database and tampers with the results. Smile
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
The backlash to Sun and Moon's art is mostly a western fandom thing. I haven't really noticed fans on Japanese sites complain about it much, if at all.

-Stuart Smith

Yes, that's right.
After all Pokemon is basically a kodomo (children) show.
Japanese children don't pay attention how the show changed from before, and don't care about the animation design as long as the show is fun.

But many in the western anime fandom follow the show since they here children and now they are older and notice the differences and complain about it.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Martian Successor / Mobile Battleship Nadesico has entirely different character deisgns between the Kia Asamiya manga (which came later) and the Keiji Gotoh character designs in the anime.

As far as Tylor goes, note that the currently airing shorts are also different.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4