• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vatican Miracle Examiner (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote

This arc ends with a reunion with Father Julia and the priests using the fairy tales to get to the bottom of the counterfeiting mystery (whilst saving their lives to boot). As this is an adaptation of an existing manga work, it's clear that the central arc holding these mysteries together is the opposition between the Vatican's examiners and the shadowy Galdouane clan.

Next week ends the adaptation. Not sure if Hiiraga's brother is ailing because of natural causes or due to the machinations of the organisation. It should be a simple one-off episode closing everything off. If the franchise fans buy into this adaptation they'll get the sequel they want, those interested in what happens afterwards can always follow the series in its printed format.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
#12 End

A connect-the-dots episode for the few scenes shown at the start of the series which didn't really make sense beyond Roberto's reminiscences. Like the one-off episode featuring the man cursed to fulfil his wishes regardless of his intentions, Ryota has a trio of mysterious beings who stalk him and inform him of things he probably wouldn't want to hear.

The episode (and the series in general) is geared towards readers of the source material who took a liking to the characters and the plot settings aired to date. Definitely not to everyone's taste, but the animators have left the door open to future adaptations assuming this series sells well on home release.

Personally I thought some of the mysteries could have been better handled, along with the presentation methods used. Although not what I'd originally expected when I started it, I've stuck to the end. Perhaps it's best to remember the series as light campy entertainment designed not to strain brain cells for viewers watching each episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Well that was something. I just can't tell what the point might have been. The end I don't even think managed to be cute as they call it a miracle, which seemed to be a psychopath giving his brother experimental drugs, said that they don't want to sully it by looking into it, and then finish off by thanking god. It felt kind of tone death. Is it just normal that doctors in some famous Belgium hospital to accept drugs from random priests to give to children without any consent from family? Josef expressed how hurt he was that he was not informed about his mother's illness before it was too late, and his brother seemed to take it that he should keep secrets from him? Was Ryouta seeing angels, psychic or largely suffering from delusions that happened to become true?

I really wanted to like this series, for it be an interesting creepy show, but it just ran off the rails. Running off the rails meant starting off with Nazis with HItlers son recovered from his frozen body, then unexplained disease that make monkeys blood turn into rubber, and lastly it was subterranean evil society with the miracle explained as cocaine being a hell of a drug. With side stories of creepy Santa, and homoerotic book club starring kid with brain tumour. Okay, that last bit probably sounds insensitive, and not a nice thing to say. Honestly I actually kind of liked the way too close to be normal priest friendship, with Josef always wanting to eat Roberto's pasta. Is it weird to say it was kind of cute?

But this show was not good, I think it dumped goodwill that anyone could take it seriously after the first arc, barring I would say a couple cool atmosphere or a good jump scare, and I don't think could even pull off mystery well, with weird jumps in logic that audience could not foresee. There was a villain, but he has a really iffy part in the show, in the last arc the main characters tried to explain his actions away that he did not want to hurt them, kid of forgiving him, and the last episode he apparently saves the day. If they wanted him to be some sort of Moriarty, they did not do a very good job.

I made excuses for the show while watching it, and generally it still let me down. I give a rating of Not really good (4/10), yeah I was saying it was bad, but I did not find it a total waste of time, which in ways could just be me.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:29 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)

The Intro/Outro music is rly good .

S01E01 ¬ E04

The first four episodes of Vatican Kiseki Chousakan (Vatican Miracle Examiner) were a tight , neat ghost story that legitimately gave me the spooks at a couple points . Horror often comes out less hostile in the soft cels of anime , yet the producers did a pretty good job of setting up the setting .

The plot was typical for a "Mysteries of the Great Masters"-style series (eg The DaVinci Code) , involving frat boys with Ouija boards , accusations of indecency , and maybe a few actual demons and a turkey baster . While the eerieness of the setting comes out well here , it really gives some insight into what Miracle Examiners have to deal with in their line of work .

S01E05 ¬ E08

The Crøs Point seems to be where a lot of these anime kind of jump the shark , as once a series passes its pilot and gets a few episodes in , that·s when they start to get the notice of pestkeepers who start weaving in this thing and that thing , making sure So-and-So·s in it and that Such-and-Such occurrs .

The fifth episode is quite a departure from the fourth . And , the main character looks to be one of the characters who already died a couple episodes ago ? Let·s watch the sixth .

From the looks of it , mapping the fifth episode took charting the entire hyper loop , and charting the sixth episode required entire Volumes , as indicated by the field of oil tanks . And then , in S01E07 , Roberto is shown a centennial library with the annotated knowledge of hundreds of priests , followed by another shot of volumes , this time rendered in limestone , at 7m48s . S01E08 begins with a shot of a tesseract . What·s the Information Density on this thing ?

What year was this made ?
2017 ka
The Galaz Period .

It seems like there are some slip traps here . Aaand a sudden flood of information trips a breaker , followed by a pool of purple fire , a Phyrexian Arena , and the barrage of Would-You-Evers . And to save your love from Hell . Who could forget Not Even to Save Your Love from Hell ? . We are beginning to notice a pattern here .

202205171035#### 15m24s VOIDOUT

8m into E08 and we·re mired in court drama and strawman arguments . Wow . And the shot of tiny baby Korra standing worriedly behind the barking King Mob . Imagine completing Nursery Two and then watching this . Remember when they burned down a Waterbender temple ? We remember . This would have all been transpiring coincident to Shinobi·s painting of Atraxa .

202205171114#### 15m30s STACK OVERFLOW

Aaand then they murder the obviously angelic Father Julia off-screen . Wow . Will There Even Be Room For a Final Betrayal ?

Find out next time on S[REDACTED]E[DATA EXPUNGED][DATA EXPUNGED][DATA EXPUNGED]
MaritLage

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:49 pm Reply with quote
S01E09 ¬ 12

I·ve got to admit , the shot of the "J. C. Staff" logo in front of the cross with the nails through his palms instead of wrists is priceless .

I·m on Episode 12 right now . Will Janus show up in the last episode , or was he a 4-episode bit boss ? Let·s find out .

The robed figures are the pyramids , kid . Don·t ask me where the limestone is , it·s probably holding up a mosque somewhere .

The translators use the word Kami interchangeably for both God and Lord . An interesting choice .

Given the imagery , the tree , the ideopathic obsession with certain phoneme structures , it almost looks as if the show is trying to set up cotemporal parity . Yet there are clearly two figures blocking one side of the great wheel .

So , Father Julia is an angel , and then commits murder in 1985 , and then becomes a priest , and then turns back into a murderer , and then shows up at the tail end of the time travel episode ? This is all seeming very last-minute .

---

There were parts of Vaticankisekichousakan that really grabbed me , and there were parts that seemed like the writer(s) could have done a better job . The more literal murder-mystery sort of stuff was more interesting to me , and i liked the main characters a lot .

The characters are likeable , and even though it doesn·t say to anywhere , if u watch them in three four-episode quartets it makes a lot more sense .

Overall , i think that i would recomment Vatican Kiseki Chousakan to others .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3