• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's With All the Bondage Humor in Anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
And this is why Go Nagai is my hero.The man created things I love and he did it while having rabbid PTA breathing down his back. But because he woudn't surrender we have things like this today. Thank you, Go Nagai, and thank you Shounen Jump for having his back.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for why it's such a big part of anime? Well, there are lots of reasons, but we probably have Go Nagai to blame
Well of course it would Nagai, who else would it be.
Seif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Jesus Christ, Justin. You know you're shit. Way to be constantly on point with your answers.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Jesus Christ, Justin. You know you're shit.

You might want to remove that extra " ' " from that.... Just saiyan....
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
You can make it PG or PG-13 easily since it requires no nudity or scantily clad outfits.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
You also have the fact that acceptable sexual depictions in media are less arbitrary in Japan and frankly, the West outside of the United States. Well, except for censoring genitalia, which is a law dating from U.S. occupation. It hasn't been repealed because it would be taboo for a government predominantly comprised of old men to debate it. Anyway, sex and its fetishes are weird, so its prevalence in anime could simply be seen as accepting human nature.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's into this stuff and kinda likes when it gets represented in anime... even I sometimes get kinda weary of the bondage jokes. Like the last Centaur's Life episode just recently, where in the video game dungeon segment, one character's appearance rests entirely on the joke that she's a dominatrix. Nothing else to it, no clever insinuations about what that implies about her in the show's "real world" or how the other characters feel about this appearance, just "she's a dominatrix, ha." I think at a certain point, bondage jokes stop actually being about anything and are just there because newer writers are used to them being part of the furniture.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
wait, there's bondage in Hanasaku Iroha? which episode? I might pick the show back up.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 kinda revolves around it. It apparently had enough of an impact that even the Ohana Nendoroid includes a bound and gagged form, which is one of my favourite bits of anime trivia.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, bondage humor. It taught me the definition of the words 'sadist' and 'masochist' when I was eleven watching Inu x Boku SS.

It's also the main reason I hesitate to put Barakamon on kid-friendly anime lists, due to the scene early on in which Naru jumps around yelling "S&M! S&M!".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Personally,I think this gets into the creepy realm. There are people who might like this,I'm not among them. There are certain things that should be shown. Not stuff like this. Neutral There are some things that should remain private. This sort of stuff is high on my list.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
From what I have seen bondage humor is rare in family friendly anime and it has become even rarer over the last 20 years. Whether you see bondage humor in an anime really depends on the type of show and the target demographic for that show. Of course it is fairly common in ecchi shows.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
It's also the main reason I hesitate to put Barakamon on kid-friendly anime lists, due to the scene early on in which Naru jumps around yelling "S&M! S&M!".

Chrono1000 wrote:
From what I have seen bondage humor is rare in family friendly anime and it has become even rarer over the last 20 years. Whether you see bondage humor in an anime really depends on the type of show and the target demographic for that show. Of course it is fairly common in ecchi shows.

The first season of the Pokémon anime had a BDSM episode unedited as kids wouldn't understand. It's also used for speculation that James is a homosexual, even though the contrary is inferred from his strict wealthy upbringing and arranged marriage.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase Jim Cornette Go Nagai did everything to get heat

Snomaster1 wrote:
Personally,I think this gets into the creepy realm. There are people who might like this,I'm not among them. There are certain things that should be shown. Not stuff like this. Neutral There are some things that should remain private. This sort of stuff is high on my list.

Even as someone whose not exactly big on BDSM the stuff you see in certain works is a lot less....sexual or graphic than what you can find in others. Surprised
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
The way I see it, putting family-unfriendly stuff into a story for the sake of it just indicates to me that you're not creative enough to actually come up with something clever. Then, you got series like South Park and Rick & Morty that have family-unfriendly stuff that use it well, to either convey a message or to give depth to characters. And, of course, there are plenty of good stories out there where there's zero objectionable or obscene things in it. (It sounds like Go Nagai DID write his stories in such a way that the PTA-unfriendly stuff made his stories better though.)

Rosiero wrote:
As someone who's into this stuff and kinda likes when it gets represented in anime... even I sometimes get kinda weary of the bondage jokes. Like the last Centaur's Life episode just recently, where in the video game dungeon segment, one character's appearance rests entirely on the joke that she's a dominatrix. Nothing else to it, no clever insinuations about what that implies about her in the show's "real world" or how the other characters feel about this appearance, just "she's a dominatrix, ha." I think at a certain point, bondage jokes stop actually being about anything and are just there because newer writers are used to them being part of the furniture.

Or, of course, appealing to the fetishes of the author with no further purpose to it and the joke being just a façade or excuse to the true intentions of that sequence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2