• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Garo -Vanishing Line- (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote

Garo -Vanishing Line- (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy, science fiction
Themes: demons

Plot Summary: In prosperous Russell City, a conspiracy threatens to shake its world has been set in motion. A man named Sword is the first to hear the earliest stirrings of the plot, and throws himself into a shadow war in order to expose it. His only clue is the keyword "El Dorado." He meets Sophie, a woman searching for her older brother who left her with only a message with the same word: "El Dorado." With Sword having also lost his younger sister in the past, both are drawn together by the word, and work together to find out its meaning.
----------------------------------

Been a fan of the Garo franchise since I began watching their TV anime series in 2014. The PV in this looks amazing and the premise has my interest. It has some solid staff choice too.

Could easily be a dark horse for Fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I am a Garo fan too and I find the modern setting for this to be interesting after the 1st 2 seasons and I plan to watch it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Has this been announced for streaming? I wasn't interested in the first two anime, but this being closer to the TV series makes me want to see it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Has this been announced for streaming? I wasn't interested in the first two anime, but this being closer to the TV series makes me want to see it.

Crunchyroll announced it recently for streaming.

First episode is out today. (not on their site yet but it aired on TV)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
The first episode was damn amazing. I'm remaining cautious after Virgin Soul but wow. I absolutely love the style of this season.

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote
I on the other hand am not much of a Garo fan. I watched both of the previous seasons, and had problems with both for different reasons, some poor characterisation in the first, and the plot just falling apart in the second. I was not too impressed starting the first episode of this, with its ridiculous buff male character, who rides a ridiciulous motorcycle making him feel like a dated over the top idea of a cool character, along with what I might call slight sexist like themes with things like boobs. A bit gracious with things like property damage too. Also, how does he drive if the girl on his lap prevents him from looking left?

But complaints end there, because the looks of episode one were fantastic, and at least in my eyes have me looking forward to what might be the first good Garo anime. I feel the need to break down everything this episode did right. A modern setting feels instantly recognisable, it being set in America like this is sort of unusual for anime, the only real comparison like this I could think of was Blood Blockade Battlefront, but it is that sort of stylisation that can work really well, and it looks like they have a handle of that. The animation is filled with a bunch of details, like how when the headlight hit the cat its eyes lit up, and I was kind of fond how it did some corruption like internet things. The details went into the fight too, where it actually worked out really nicely choreographed, and if a bit over the top, it was exciting. Although one thing I was wondering was where the signature powers were, barehanded could only work for so long, and when a sword came into play it felt like we were getting somewhere. But I was also wondering if he could even transform, which should be a mainstay, yet it was looking like it was not coming, but then it happened, and it did not only happen but it did not look like trash CGI that clashed with all the other animation, I think it might have had some CGI to it, but it actually felt like it blended with the style it was going for, it looked really good.

New paragraph, but I think I also started to really appreciate the setting, that this thing really has some tone nailed down, and some of it had to be down to the music, which sounds fantastic. I still am not totally sold on Sword, I was thinking that his relationship to female characters in the show is troubling, as was a line by Zaruba of them making him smell of makeup, which feels a bit misogynistic. But Sophie on the other hand actually feels rather interesting, indeed she was needing saved in this episode, but she feels like she can usually look after herself and has strength in her own right, could act as a good foil to Sword. Added onto that Sophie is being voiced by the great Rie Kugimiya. This is looking good.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Finally getting a chance to start this, since my internet is stable again, and, wow... If this is any indication of what the first two anime were like, I'm glad I didn't watch them.

What's with that stupid motorcycle?! Where's the Horror's true form?!

YAY, Zaruba~! I love you Zaruba, almost as much as Silva (sorry, Zaruba, but ZERO will always be cooler than GARO).

Okay, there's the Horror's true form, finally. But where's the worry of Sophie being hit with it's blood?

Still don't like the motorcycle. Can we have a Makai Horse?

Okay, I will admit, the way he opened the transformation circle was cool, although I do prefer it in the air. Where's the timer, though?

Wait, Zaruba is the motorcycle? How demeaning and insulting for Zaruba!

There's 2 more episodes out for me to check out, but I have a feeling I'm just going back to my BD of the toku.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Almost did not find this thread, it really got no discussion here. I know that I gushed about it early on, but the show kind of fell apart after that, at least for a while. All of the episodic stories that happened after the first episode, just kind of ruined what felt like a strong start, as the character Sophie ended up not really having much to contribute for a while, and when she did with a longer plot thread being in the centre, it kind of felt like whiplash. Sophie ended up playing mostly a helpless role anyway, through most of the story, until she had some understandable misgivings of needed to be protected,, and the very end when she was playing a larger part, it felt like it too long. Her decision to becime an alchemist at the end, also felt like something I would have wanted more of rather than something said just at the end. Along with Luke, who was plain as day supposed to be the Silver Knight, but it never popped up, until the very end, where he is supposedly one now. I really thought Luke could have got the power when he put down the corruipted Makai Knight around the midway point.

The show was generally more respectful of the western culture, than I would otherwise expect, but a major part of this, and I feel like the show did not know how to move itself really within that. It fell a little bit into tired cliché, rather than feeling like it entirely had a handle. Characters were far better than I would say previous Garo anime, no directionless whiny character, or truly insufferable hypocritical womanizer. Sure Sword had his love of breasts thing, but he was not too bad. How he interacted with Sophie as an older brother character was cool, along with I would say Gina with her too. It had its weak moments though, such as Zaruba having the comments about women being hard to deal with strong perfume or something.

The weakest part really felt like it was the episodic bits, that it wasted momentum, and just kind of had me lose interest, even when it should have been interesting later on when it was less episodic. I give a rating of So-so (5/10), it had trouble keeping my attention.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:34 am Reply with quote
Personally, I enjoyed this show but some of the filler episodes in the first half (monster of the week episodes) can be a hit or miss. Some of them made little impact imo by the time this show was over.

For what's worth, I think the finale did what it had to do and that's to wrap up the overall story with the main characters. It was an emotional journey for Sophie and I liked the psychology behind the storytelling from start to finish.

I think by the end of the show, I grew to like all four of the main cast in particular Luke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1