• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Cool Runnings 2049

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Back when moé was the Worst Thing Ever, I recall someone (don't know who) stating that part of the reason anime stopped being cool was because we started off getting stuff like Midnight Eye Goku, the Animatrix and Trigun, but then segued into Love Hina and Rizelmine. It's been long ago enough that I take this with a mountain of salt (because in retrospect, people outside of anime didn't really get exposed to how big moé became).

I think part of the reason anime is becoming cool again is because we're getting more varied stories that can appeal to people. We got a love story between ice skaters, we got "Your Name Is", we got "Lesbian Experience with Loneliness"... there are more non-orthodox anime we can show neophytes that might resonate with them. We have approachable media, that accounts for a lot.

Just the other day, a friend of mine who had fallen out of touch with anime. Because I had gotten her into Princess Jellyfish, she asked me for more stuff. So I got her into Our Love Story and left Sweetness with Lightning as a possible follow-up. And she loves it!
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Does this mean we'll end up with Lawrence of Arabia 2 and Casablanca 2?

Actually, I rechecked IMDB, and they tried to do tv tie-ins to Casablanca. Laughing And also, now that I recall, there was a novel sequel to Blade Runner, but not written by Dick.

Quote:
If they want to do a kickstarter for an anime sequel to Jupiter Ascending, I'm in, baby!

It's already been done. It's called Nadesico. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
the film's directors and origins as anime aren't mentioned in the marketing materials.

Especially Satoshi Kon, allegedly.

Quote:
I'm hoping that, as a result of this new collaboration, we get a anime version of grizzled, grouchy old Harrison Ford out of the deal.

We kinda did with Batou in Innocence. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
2022 reminded me of Armitage III.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Not allowed to talk about?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Ultraviolet:
Quote:
I was born into a world you may not understand.

I think it's nice that a movie admits first thing that it will be an incoherent mess.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Blade Runner 2022 is the best short film of the year so far. An absolute achievement and very nostalgic in many ways. Can´t wait for the main film! The 2036 short is great too.

While i am here. The Westwood Blade Runner adventure game from 1997 is really good btw. Basically Snatcher/Policenauts 2. I hope that EA or whoever has the rights will care to put it out again in a way that modern PCs (or phones) can easily play. Ultraviolet: Code 044 is lastly a barely coherent nightmare. How did it even come about... Kickstart that documentary.

PS: Mike praising Matriculated may be the first time someone said anything positive about that irritating nonsense and the mesmerizing 5th Batman short in Gotham Knights made me heaps excited for seeing the Berserk Trilogy by the same 4°C staff. Little did i know of the horror to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
The first step in this article is in agreeing that Blade "It's this version that's good so just skip the other ones" Runner is a classic in the first place.

Yes, it's visually impressive, it's Ridley Scott after all and if those recent Alien movies taught us anything about the man is that he can absolutely nail down a shot.

Plot, actors, endings and meaning can take a pass however. Maybe one day we'll get a good adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" but until people figure out that it's about people and not the robots... the question was never was about Deckard being an android but rather was he really human in the first place... a constant theme in Dick's work... or was he just going through the motions of one? Nope, what we get is attack ships burning off of Orion's shoulder so.... FTL travel? Metaphor? Ranting of an actor searching to fill film/kill time? It's iconic... ultimately doesn't mean a damn time but it's iconic.

Is that where I'm getting lost? It's visually a... No, that's Brazil. It's symbolically a dystopia where the underclass become made of androids. And they get hunted down in tandem to those moments in human history... like when... I mean... slavery maybe?... but then why would the androids look human? They'd be orange or blue so you could point them out by the color of their skin.

Ok, it's visual. I get that. But is there anything else?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
Batman: Gotham Knight was a bizarre OVA.
Some segments worked better than others, in general it showed a Batman anime could be done but hopefully one that wasn't constrained by having to look like the latest live-action film (the Nolan series which I did NOT care for).

Technically, I think the Japanese and US Blu rays were virtually the same but to access the Japanese audio on the (American edition) disc you had to reset your Blu ray player menu to Japanese language!

It was an easy thing to do on the PlayStation 3 but to this day I still don't understand WHY the producers (WB) made the disc owners do this. Still, there are bizarre things that go on with subtitles in many anime Blu ray releases to this day!

It was a really, really stupid thing to make the owners have to go through that to access the alternate audio.
Seriously, the Japanese audio couldn't be accessed any other way.

The disc was practically released the same day in Japan -- really it was a month or less apart -- so this is one of the few early "anime" Blu ray releases that practically had a simultaneous release all over Region A.

To be honest, I maybe watched the shorts that had vocal tracks in them once with the Japanese. I still prefer Kevin Conroy's voice as Batman!
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Blade Runner 2022 is part of a trilogy of films to promote the new Blade Runner movie, with the other two being live action. WB has posted all three on YouTube.

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "Black Out 2022" Anime Short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrZk9sSgRyQ

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2036: Nexus Dawn" Short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ&t=8s

BLADE RUNNER 2049 - "2048: Nowhere to Run" Short
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg&t=5s
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
What a nostalgia trip. Sometimes I miss when anime was "big". Also remember reading that article from 2003... Lots of forward thinking there.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Batman: Gotham Knight was a bizarre OVA.
Some segments worked better than others, in general it showed a Batman anime could be done but hopefully one that wasn't constrained by having to look like the latest live-action film (the Nolan series which I did NOT care for).

Technically, I think the Japanese and US Blu rays were virtually the same but to access the Japanese audio on the (American edition) disc you had to reset your Blu ray player menu to Japanese language!

It was an easy thing to do on the PlayStation 3 but to this day I still don't understand WHY the producers (WB) made the disc owners do this. Still, there are bizarre things that go on with subtitles in many anime Blu ray releases to this day!

It was a really, really stupid thing to make the owners have to go through that to access the alternate audio.
Seriously, the Japanese audio couldn't be accessed any other way.

The disc was practically released the same day in Japan -- really it was a month or less apart -- so this is one of the few early "anime" Blu ray releases that practically had a simultaneous release all over Region A.

To be honest, I maybe watched the shorts that had vocal tracks in them once with the Japanese. I still prefer Kevin Conroy's voice as Batman!

The DVD has a Japanese language audio track by the way. No complicated methods to get to it either, just switch the audio tracks and it's there. The Japanese track I know was weird as it had two people voicing Batman, one was Tessho Genda who did Batman for the TAS series and the other was Shinichiro Miki (weird having the guy who voices Takumi from Initial D voicing Bruce Wayne) during parts. That and Romi Park as Anna Ramirez, probably the only voice actors I remember from the Japanese version. Which also Ultraviolet Code 044 I remember the main character in that anime was voiced by Park as well in the Japanese version.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There was a brief period of time in the early 2000s when anime was cool. It wasn't just cool with dorks like me and you, the true tastemakers, but also cool with the general entertainment-consuming public in North America. Anime movies like Metropolis and Spirited Away were getting nationwide theatrical releases,

That's still happening, though; this year alone, I've seen both Your Name and In This Corner of the World at ordinary, non-arthouse, multiplexes, and both of those were normal theatrical releases where they played on the same screen for at least a week or two (albeit on smaller screens than the Hollywood blockbusters get) and weren't just single night events.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Remember that one time there was going to be a Terminator anime?
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
i hope that, if I watch Blade Runner: blackout 2022, it doesn't retire my interest in the franchise altogether.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I recall renting Animatrix quite shortly after it came out, and thinking it wasn't very good, especially as an attempt to bridge the mainstream to anime. Maybe in the same sense as Robot Carnival, which was more an experimental project, but not for The Matrix movie series, even when considered as a shameless ripoff of Ghost in the Shell and another obscure OVA series from the 1980s called Megazone 23.

As long as Neo Yokio doesn't get a second season because of Netflix's deep pockets, we will see more "cool" anime collaborations, along with the conventional becoming even more mainstream. It sure would be something to reminisce about "Anime in the Trump Era" years from now in 2049, ha!

Levitz9 wrote:
Back when moé was the Worst Thing Ever, I recall someone (don't know who) stating that part of the reason anime stopped being cool was because we started off getting stuff like Midnight Eye Goku, the Animatrix and Trigun, but then segued into Love Hina and Rizelmine. It's been long ago enough that I take this with a mountain of salt (because in retrospect, people outside of anime didn't really get exposed to how big moé became).

I don't think you know what moe is, unless those are two different thoughts regarding your anime examples, which aren't chronologically correct anyway. We've always had diversity in genres, which is kind of the reason we all love anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2