• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Made in Abyss Made Us Cry Like Little Babies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
I guess Bondrewd and Ozen are both examples of Nietzsche's warning: "If you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Alexandre Martins wrote:
I find that difficult to believe, though, because my personal "ratings" always matched the Japanese's and, even though I'm no barometer for anything but my personal taste, MiA was a magnificent series, the best fantasy-sci-fi to come up in anime since Shin Sekai Yori, so I think there's a chance of a second cour.

The anime is at least tracking well, and the manga had quite a lot of pixiv art traffic prior to the anime, so I don't think it's doing too badly. We'll have to wait till the end of the month to find out exactly how well the anime has done though.
That being said, if you loved Shinsekai Yori, your tastes do not entirely match up with Japan, because that was a historic bomb, unfortunately.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this needs/deserves a second season.

And like was said at the end of this "article", this same crew needs to be back whenever it happens, unlike how a number of recent sequels have been changing their staffs around.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
And like was said at the end of this "article", this same crew needs to be back whenever it happens, unlike how a number of recent sequels have been changing their staffs around.

Well, at least it's not Kadokawa, so there's hope...
Alexandre Martins

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
That being said, if you loved Shinsekai Yori, your tastes do not entirely match up with Japan, because that was a historic bomb, unfortunately.[/quote]
I was kidding. No wonder SSY bombed there, because it's one of the few purely sci-fi anime I've ever watched, with a convincing futuristic dystopian setting. Most sci-fi anime go for silly action and exaggerate on the mechanical tech side, whereas SSY's very advanced futuristic tech was whole devoted to genetics. That, combined with the not so great animation, would explain why the Japanese millennials didn't by into it. I'm an Philip Dick, Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlain, Arthur Clarke kind of sci-fi, so I totally loved it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't tell you were kidding at all, to be honest. Even broad generalizations that few sane people would make can't be written off as a joke these days. My apologies.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
I haven't cried watching a show in a long time. FMA has stomach-punching despair in spades, and based on other comments, I will definitely give From the New World a watch. I am disappointed I skipped that one. However, there is one other show I want to add to the list for putting children in dangerous, compelling, and heartbreaking situations--Noein--such an amazingly complex, underrated show and one of my absolute favorites.
Alexandre Martins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I haven't cried watching a show in a long time. FMA has stomach-punching despair in spades, and based on other comments, I will definitely give From the New World a watch. I am disappointed I skipped that one. However, there is one other show I want to add to the list for putting children in dangerous, compelling, and heartbreaking situations--Noein--such an amazingly complex, underrated show and one of my absolute favorites.

Wow! You're the first person in a long time that mentioned Noein as far as I'm aware. I just love that series. It was thoroughly enjoyable, a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. The way they dealt with the idea of parallel universes and quantum time travel was very clever and consistent, which is something you don't see often. Also, the interpersonal relations among the characters were very deep and I fully agree that the show is packed with deep emotions, especially considering that
SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT WATCHED NOEIN

spoiler[despite the happy ending, there's so much misery and sadness for all of them.]
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
However, there is one other show I want to add to the list for putting children in dangerous, compelling, and heartbreaking situations--Noein--such an amazingly complex, underrated show and one of my absolute favorites.

Yeah, Noein is great too. I actually just posted about this show on Facebook last night, and do so as often as I can. As I've noted elsewhere, I've been starting to recognize my own sweet spot within media, and it's something that has inevitably drawn me to anime more and more over the years, given that almost no other medium regularly attempts it: Kids coming of age(usually with some kind of ensemble cast), going on adventures, and learning truths of the world(often a fantasy/scifi/supernatural world), usually with a heavy focus on both world-building and character growth and development. Shows that fit into that for me, are things like: Dennou Coil, Madoka Magica, Made in Abyss, Bokurano, Noein, From The New World, Gunslinger Girl, Now and Then, Here and There, Uta Kata, Hanasaku Iroha, etc. If you find you like similar stuff, I highly recommend people check all of these out as well.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Best show I've seen in a long time-I really do hope there's a second season. If ever a series needs one-it's this. Even if there never is it's ok.
Manix2019

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
This Anime especially the last 2 episodes got me so hard, i couldn't stand it i actually cried loudly like a little kid, so that my roommates ask me if everything okay ^^.
so Currently i started Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou, which is drawn and produce by the same company. ( or was before abyss) and here im struggling if im supposed to find it sad, or if im glad and happy . That anime is just amazing in terms presentation.

also i still need rehab help from "made in abyss" the mitty case kinda made me lose my emotional coldness which i have obtained over the years, Which is why i now let stuff get to me way to fast -.-
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko drew out quite a range of emotions from me. It's never consistently happy nor sad, and sometimes it waxes philosophical. I was watching it with a friend who commented on how "primal" this show can be. The music episode is an especially good example of this aspect of the story, with the girls discovering something long forgotten but nevertheless deep in their souls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3