• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Gundam Versus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Wii Shop Shutting Down: You know, for a while now I've wondered how they could keep the Wii Shop running for so long after support for the Wii was dropped. I didn't think they would have it go on infinitely, I just figured it was a matter of time until the big announcement that they plan to axe it completely.

Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions: I've seen a lot of folks who've said that they consider the first M&L title the best one of the series (though I believe Bowser's Inside Story is officially considered the best) and the fact the developers brought it back with new graphics and a bonus story says a lot about its staying power.

Summon Night 6: It's coming, Dustin. Slowly but surely, it's coming. I certainly don't mind waiting longer for it; I'm still occupied with Ys VIII and Warriors All-Stars.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
It is sad to hear about the Wii Shop Channel's eventual death, but it's not surprising. Still, earlier this week I finally grabbed the last few VC & WiiWare games I had always held off on buying, so I more or less have everything that I wanted from that service.

On the other hand, while Dustin's points about losing the official availability of a lot of content stings, he chose a few odd examples:
Quote:
On WiiWare specifically, that means the Bit.Trip series, LostWinds, and even My Life as a King. Most of those games have become available in other forms, but certainly not all of them. Then there are the only official North American releases of stuff like Rondo of Blood and Sin & Punishment.

The Bit.Trip games were compiled onto a physical disc for Wii (not to mention the other various services they've been released on), LostWinds was ported to PC, & Sin & Punishment is on the Wii U VC (so it's safe for a few more years, at least). My Life as a King is a perfect example, though, & Rondo of Blood (in its original form) will hopefully get saved via the Wii U VC, as Konami has been supporting that service lately with TG-16 games (&, according to ESRB ratings, Lords of Thunder will be added eventually, so Turbo-CD games are also possible).
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
The complaint I've heard about the PS4 Gundam Versus is apparently Athrun Zala isn't on the game at all. If that's true, it feels rather incomplete in the having all the characters from the Gundam shows in it. I mean come on he was a major character in Seed and even in Destiny. Which is odd because it looks like it has nearly all the characters from Zeta on it including minor characters you never knew you wanted to play as like Apolly Bay.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I would've hoped the Virtual Console would get moved onto whatever the newest Nintendo system would be, at least for Nintendo's own games and the games Nintendo otherwise owns. (For the 3rd-party stuff, that's up to whoever owns those games.) I have no doubt Nintendo has SOME preservation system in place that they keep hidden from the public though, as otherwise, the Virtual Console itself wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Speaking of which, remember that GameSpot April Fools Day article about the Revolution (the codename for the Wii) would defeat its competitors? One of the joke selling points in the article was its backlog of old games you could buy and download. Game preservation is an issue now, but apparently, back in 2007 or so, that, too, was seen as a joke.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle is a third-person versus bullet hell game with adorable girls who shoot magic at each other. I can't really add anything more than that, but I do believe this serves as final proof that the Switch will, indeed, house all those games the Vita will soon no longer be able to.

You're more right than you know: Burst Battle is the first console Touhou game to be released on a non-Sony system.

Up til this point, Touhou console games were exclusively released as part of "Play, Doujin!", a distribution deal between Team Shanghai Alice (the company that makes the official, "canonical" Touhou PC games) and the PlayStation Network. The goal of the partnership was to allow makers of non-canonical Touhou games - essentially video game fanfiction projects - to license their fan works for distribution on Sony gaming systems.

The fact that we're now seeing Touhou releases on non-Sony consoles - as well as last year's release of the canonical Touhou fighting game Urban Legend in Limbo on the Playstation 4 - has caused a lot of wild speculation among the Touhou community about possible future console ports of Touhou titles.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
There are two fundamental concepts with PC gaming. Matter is energy, and people aren’t wearing enough hats.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I find it pretty ironic that people have to resort to hacking to preserve titles that are nearly guaranteed to become inaccessible forever once the servers they were on are permanently shut down. If only Nintendo would start implementing a cross-buying system...
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Huh, my least favorite of the Mario & Luigi series was easily the second one, Partners in Time. That game was way too concerned with using all of the DS's system gimmicks and I think it suffered for it. And it was just way too long, I stopped having fun with that one a lot sooner than the others. I enjoyed Dream Team well enough, even though it also went overboard with using the 3DS's system gimmicks. I'm probably going to end up getting Superstar Saga though, because it is still one of my favorite GBA titles ever.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Huh, my least favorite of the Mario & Luigi series was easily the second one, Partners in Time. That game was way too concerned with using all of the DS's system gimmicks and I think it suffered for it. And it was just way too long, I stopped having fun with that one a lot sooner than the others. I enjoyed Dream Team well enough, even though it also went overboard with using the 3DS's system gimmicks. I'm probably going to end up getting Superstar Saga though, because it is still one of my favorite GBA titles ever.

It used the DS's gimmicks a lot less than most of the other early DS games though. The main thing it used was the vertical space granted by the second screen, and personally, I felt it was used rather creatively, such as the battle against Junior Shrooboid on the lower screen and the audience on the upper, or Bowser and Baby Bowser using a lot of vertical throw moves. It used the touch feature only once (though that DID feel rather tacked on). Certainly, it was a lot less reliant on the DS's unique features than stuff like Yoshi Touch & Go or Pac-Pix.

I felt it was the weakest of the original three in gameplay, however, due to its controls. For most of the game, you're controlling four characters at once, and that could get very hard to keep track of, and the babies' hammers were sluggish. Alpha Dream wisely kept the number of playable characters at a time to no more than three after that. (Story-wise, I felt it was a big improvement over Superstar Saga, though [i]Bowser's Inside Story[i] was even better, personally.)
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Tons of Gundams in Gundam VS, but nothing from 0080 =(
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Tons of Gundams in Gundam VS, but nothing from 0080 =(

It's certainly a weird omission considering they even managed to squeeze in Doan's Zaku from the "Lost Episode". Laughing

That being said, the game features two AMX-109's from Turn A Gundam, which you could easily pretend are MSM-03C's from 0080 if you were so inclined.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then there are the only official North American releases of stuff like Rondo of Blood

You mean aside from the port that's included in the Dracula X Chronicles remake?
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's certainly a weird omission considering they even managed to squeeze in Doan's Zaku from the "Lost Episode". Laughing

That being said, the game features two AMX-109's from Turn A Gundam, which you could easily pretend are MSM-03C's from 0080 if you were so inclined.

But nothing will replace the NT-1 Alex =(

It's especially weird since the arcade version has 0080 represented in the last two VS games =/
IanC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I tried the open beta of Nioh and didn't understand it at all. It was like Dark Souls with the unfairness dialed way way up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1