• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's My-Hime, My-Otome Home Video Releases Slated for January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to the releases of the My-Hime and My-Otome collections. I've wanted to watch these for quite a while and having them available on home video once again - and so soon - there is very little reason for me not to watch them now!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
It is good to finally have a release date for Kabaneri. It is a gorgeous looking show that should benefit with a dub.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Really excited to see what gets bundled with the Keijo special edition Laughing
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
alternate retelling My-Otome anime in 2005

Was it actually a "retelling" though? The stories were completely different, and Mai herself (And Makoto) were seemed were almost exactly the same as s1.
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

Was it actually a "retelling" though? The stories were completely different, and Mai herself (And Makoto) were seemed were almost exactly the same as s1.

More like an alternate universe spinoff, since it's set in the distant future. And, as you noted, has a different story/different cast.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

There was one character that was exactly the same and there was a reason for it. In fact, her only role in Otome was to show up and say "Yeah, I'm still around."

But sure, one's a present day fantasy, the other's an alternate world, future fantasy and definitely not a retelling at all. That's a given, any other speculation as to how they're connected is unproven for some reason.

I've been waiting for this My Hime series reissue, especially since I cracked a DVD trying to get it out of Bandai's Anime Legend pack. I'm just not sure it needs to be on Blu Ray. I love the score, both audio tracks are good/great... I like Blue Water Studios.... and the production design is fun but it's very much a SD project of its time and I don't how well it will hold up under scrutiny.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
But sure, one's a present day fantasy, the other's an alternate world, future fantasy and definitely not a retelling at all. That's a given, any other speculation as to how they're connected is unproven for some reason.

Yeah, but which one's the "yuri one", that's what people really want to know!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
What prevents Love Live Sunshine from getting a LE, while Keijo gets one. Regardless of "streaming numbers," it's still Love Live...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Keijo is definitely getting bought by me.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that newer anime viewers have a chance to watch My-Hime and My-Otome on home video! Smile Very fantastic shows, IMO.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Another Sunrise show is finally churned out. It's been over four years since Funimation and Sentai's initial announcements; I think most of the hold-up is coming from Sunrise's end. Someone needs to tell them to speed it up.

Funimation still has unreleased:

Angel Links
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Crest of the Stars
Tales of the Abyss
Witch Hunter Robin

Sentai still has unreleased:

Argento Soma
Betterman
Brain Powered
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
Infinite Ryvius
Kurokami: The Animation
Overman King Gainer
s-CRY-ed
Zegapain
Z-Mind
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The Hime/Otome serieses and Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress will finally be mine on Blu-ray.

I guess it would be too much to ask to finally get a dub for My-Otome 0~S.ifr~.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Another Sunrise show is finally churned out. It's been over four years since Funimation and Sentai's initial announcements; I think most of the hold-up is coming from Sunrise's end. Someone needs to tell them to speed it up.

Funimation still has unreleased:

Angel Links
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Crest of the Stars
Tales of the Abyss
Witch Hunter Robin

Sentai still has unreleased:

Argento Soma
Betterman
Brain Powered
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
Infinite Ryvius
Kurokami: The Animation
Overman King Gainer
s-CRY-ed
Zegapain
Z-Mind

Funi still had releases planned for Yamada and the Seven Witches, that was supposed to come out in July but has been Radio Silent since the dub was announced. Normally I don't get on FUni about this since 99% of the time their releases show up on time but this one seems to have just vanished into the ether.
scriver058

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Imma need an announcement on that Witch Hunter Robin ASAP.

Sort of wish I had been more patient, as I imported the My Hime BD box set from Japan a few months ago when I learned it was region free and had the English dub, and it wasn't cheap. I like the show enough though that I won't rule a double dip out, but if the video/audio on the Funi release is the same (and I don't expect a huge difference) and the packaging isn't better than the box set, I'll stick with the import. Will pick up all of My Otome and Kabaneri though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Yeah, but which one's the "yuri one", that's what people really want to know!

Otome is the "Yuri one"!!!!!!

which is why the otaku community went gaga over otome. it was 100% completely yuri orientated due to the popularity of that yuri couple in hime. combined with the zealous popularity of nanoha, and its a given otome would have its fanservice with the yuri crowd.

also its not a spinoff. it actually took place 5000 years after hime.

but the real question is how will they pull off releasing the OVAs? while hime and otome was definitely dubbed by Bandai back in 2004, their OVAs wasn't. does this mean their gonna do what sentai did with infinite stratos' OVA and leave it sub only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2