• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super Part One Blu-ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Pretty much similar to how I feel, the first two arcs of Super are OK but the theatrical versions of them are better. It is certainly better than GT's first arc which was an agonizing planet hopping adventure that tries to be DragonBall with Goku, Pan and Trunks before they brought Baby into the show. And no, while the Baby arc was a little better it was still pretty awful.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
Same here. The stories in the movies were designed to be told in the amount of time a movie has. It isn't easy to expand that into 13 TV show episodes, even if Toei's had a lot of experience at drawing out story material.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I've really enjoyed Beerus and Whis's interaction with each other and the Dragon Ball cast so far. They're immaculately dubbed and absolutely hilarious to watch. XD
Moefan199

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Agree that the first arc of Super is a mixed bag. I love all the interactions the cast have with Beerus and Whis it is hilarious. We also get some nice moments between the different Z fighters that were not in the films. The down side was the actual fight between SSG Goku and Beerus. It is like watching a slo-mo version of the movie fight. If they had handled that better I would probably say the tv series was better but since it's not I really can't. I'll just have a couple of both. Watch the movie when I want a good fight and the tv series to see the characters interact more.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that FUNi fixed a mistranslated line in the dub of episode 2 after someone called them out for it after it's premiere on Toonami (comparison).
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, DB Super's early days is not the most promising of starts and it's understandable why the lackluster quality of the first two arcs (plus being retread ground of better done movies) led to a fair amount of ambivalence from even anime fans that love Dragon Ball regrading the series that still lingers to this day even as the show has managed to improve by every new arc. A bad early impression like Episode 5 is hard to shake. It really would have been better overall if they had started the series with the Universe 6 Tournament arc

Still Beerus and Whis are gems beautifully voiced in both sub and dub and the best additions to the DB cast since Future Trunks. And there are enough moments of fun to not make it feel like a complete waste of time like Dragon Ball GT does.

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I may go back and collect these sets but for now I'll be starting with Set 3 where the new storylines start.

Edit: Also it's nice to see there are other people enjoying Super on here. It's exhausting trying to defend it against people who act like it's the worst thing to happen to the DB fanchise. Obviously I disagree because it got me back into the DB world in a way I never would have expected .
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Yeah, DB Super's early days is not the most promising of starts and it's understandable why the lackluster quality of the first two arcs (plus being retread ground of better done movies) led to a fair amount of ambivalence from even anime fans that love Dragon Ball regrading the series that still lingers to this day even as the show has managed improved by every new arc. A bad early impression like Episode 5 is hard to shake. It really would have been better overall if they had started the series with the Universe 6 Tournament arc

I can see the logic behind this though: Toei wants to make sure everyone can follow along even if they haven't seen the movies. If they began straight from when Champa showed up, it would be pretty confusing as to where Beerus and Whis came from and why Goku (and Vegeta) can turn their hair magenta and cyan now.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Edit: Also it's nice to see there are other people enjoying Super on here. It's exhausting trying to defend it against people who act like it's the worst thing to happen to the DB fanchise. Obviously I disagree because it got me back into the DB world in a way I never would have expected .

There will always be the hardcore fans and childhood fans who will oppose anything new added to whatever it is they're a fan of, especially if it's been a while since there has been anything new (causing the 50-foot-backyard-slide nostalgia, which in turns causes unattainable expectations). Dragon Ball happens to fulfill both childhood nostalgia and geek nostalgia, so it's pretty vulnerable to this.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
It should be noted that FUNi fixed a mistranslated line in the dub of episode 2 after someone called them out for it after it's premiere on Toonami

That doesn't seem like a mistranslation so much as an rewrite error. The Dragonball dub has a history of generally rewriting lines on purpose. It sounds like the main issue was someone at Funi just forgetting that Vegeta wasn't the one to beat Buu during one of their creative liberties.

-Stuart Smith
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
It should be noted that FUNi fixed a mistranslated line in the dub of episode 2 after someone called them out for it after it's premiere on Toonami

That doesn't seem like a mistranslation so much as an rewrite error. The Dragonball dub has a history of generally rewriting lines on purpose. It sounds like the main issue was someone at Funi just forgetting that Vegeta wasn't the one to beat Buu during one of their creative liberties.

-Stuart Smith

Still, from the vids I've seen in Youtube Funi Super Goku talks like his original self rather than the one who was basically Batman. I think he is even more childish to the point he talks with the actual narrator in an episode
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy this show eventually, because it's Dragon Ball, but I'll probably wait for the bigger sets. I've been watching it some on Toonami, and it doesn't really hold my attention like the original three shows (including GT). It helps that I saw those when I was younger. I'm definitely looking forward to the Future Trunks storyline. Him and his story were always my favorite, and I always loved Androids 17 and 18. Agent Mai's cool too. Hopefully it's a return to a more dark and serious tone too. The episodes of Super that I've seen are a bit too silly for my tastes, and Beerus and Whiis are kinda starting to wear out their welcome.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
I think he is even more childish to the point he talks with the actual narrator in an episode

Literally one of the best parts of Super so far. XD
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority I personally found Battle of Gods to be a slog to get threw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
I would just like to state for the record, because I have a reputation for being prickly about this, that I appreciate the inroads Funimation's English dub cast for Dragon Ball anime have made since the beginning of Kai, so now the voices seem far more natural and "just those characters in English". Schemmel and Sabat have grown to be quite dynamic (and have great chemistry), and Monica Rial remains an inspired choice for Bulma.

That said, I don't think I'm that interested in purchasing the opening two arcs, since I already have Battle of Gods and Resurrection F on Blu-Ray. I will say, though, that I enjoy some of the little moments here and there, like Mr. Satan's interactions with Buu, Goten wanting a gift for Videl, Roshi suddenly appearing to discuss Goku's money windfall, and Vegeta keeping his promise to lil' Trunks that he made back in the Buu arc.

I think if I begin collecting this, I'll do it once the Champa tournament and Goku Black arcs are rolled out. In the meantime, I'm watching the new material streaming on Crunchyroll and the English dub as it airs on Toonami.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Super is a great show that adds some all-time classic stories to the Dragon Ball canon...eventually. You've go to make it through one so-so arc and one painfully boring one to get to the good stuff, but if you're a fan, it's absolutely worth it. Starting from the third storyline onward, Super becomes a gem, and one of the most fun shonen series to come along since, well, Dragon Ball Z.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2