• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Live! Sunshine!! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
I ship Mari and Kanan. Embarassed
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
Yuri Fan wrote:
I ship Mari and Kanan. Embarassed

Episode 10 was also heavy on the Mari x Kanan ship. Sleeping next to one another. So cute!

And the ending with Riko and Chika!!! *massive nosebleed* "I love you"?! Gaaah!!! I'm losing my composure here! I know it's probably not what the creators intended, but my yuri senses just went into overdrive!!

-Apologies for such an intense yuri fan reaction. Laughing

Mari's cooking moment and Dia's scary face were also great. And the creepy stare at the inn... it sent shivers down my spine! Was that Chika's sister or her mom?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I think that my favourite character of the episode was Dia, seeing her crazy or evil side was just kind of fun. And also putting her along with her sister, Ruby, who kind of gets a laugh in how she knows full well the appeal of her cute nature and seems to over do it.

Personality wise, Mari and Yoshiko looked like two you would not want in the kitchen, while You as the proper choice, which I guess was the joke.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I had a theory several weeks ago that the fact that You had been kind of a background character might mean that she might have arc neat the end, similar to what Kotori had, they both are kind of the unsung best friend of the main character and even are the ones that make the costumes. Riko kind of took the role of member who has something lined up, but you could kind of see that You would have some jealousy with how attached Chika got to Riko, and that You might be losing confidence in her part. It was nice that despite this that Mari could see the drama ahead of time and ask her to talk about it.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

A good episode, once again. You is best girl, and glasses-You is best You. It was grrat when she made the kabe-don to Chika... but I still ship Chika with Riko. Sorry, You!

Mari was super fun in this episode. The weird way she said the "fires of jealousy"-part cracked me up!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

I think that the performance was in a word 'cheesy'. It kind of made it hard to take seriously that it was an idol performance (for the first part) when it was pretty much a play with the girls dramatically recounting the story of Aqours, but I did start to think that I had to twist my thinking a bit. Love Live has always had an air of being a bit cheesy, often not taking itself seriously, there was an interesting article recently talking about how Love Live the series has a bit in common with musical theatre, and I think this was what translated over their little story on stage into something fitting for the series, and enjoyable for its merits. And their song was a great one to finish Love Live Sunshine.

If it has not been said enough already, Sunshine started off a bit weak, despite seeming to set up a new cast that could largely do its own thing, it seemed to be too stuck with the first series, trying emulate it and relying on its good name. But then at a certain point, the one where they are 0, suddenly it turned around, and actually the things that seemed to be a negative turned out to be I think on purpose. Aqours growing as themselves was kind of story, and despite the school being shut down thing it kind of was a surprise, even down to the end it was all kind of vague because I think that bit was not important to this season is an actual resolve. I am going to say it would be crazy not to do another season of Sunshine, I am actually a pretty big fan of the second season that is likely the chance to do more with this cast.

I think that Sunshine is definitely better than the first season, but not quite reached the levels of the second, but I think is successful. I give a rating of Very good (8/10). I think that there was some nice character interaction like the seniors plot, and I look forward to more.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 1

Quite the way to start after building it up as kind of hopeful, but showing that their plan to save the school is looking to be doomed, that Mari was not able to turn around a decision to cancel the open house, which would be the only chance to save the school.

But the episode did start in a fairly fun light tone though, but not quite the first series second season having the musical. But it does feel well at this point that Aqours is its own identity, and enjoy the characters. More of Yoshiko at her home, or Mari feigning unable to speak Japanese.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

An episode around Yoshiko and Riko. Really I think that these character focused episodes, like the DIa one last week, are actually among the best in the series. That the best parts of the series are when it can have complete faith in just using its characters to tell a story, and it can really work with them. Yoshiko and Riko especially had some nice chemistry here, somewhat reminding me of Maki and Riko, I don't know if there had been similar shipping or something, but it was also not really a feeling of trying to copy the first series either, as this season it really has worked at being itself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 7

I kind of thought this would be coming, but I guess Sunshine somewhat did something different, as they apparently failed in their attempt to have the school continue on in the next year. Even though they were so close, I think it has added some credit at these measured fails would make the successes have some impact.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

And they got to say goodbye to their school with a smile. That was nice. Extra benefit of a festival episode, which they did not really get to do much of when they had their festival due to its proximity to qualifiers. I really enjoyed it, how this episode really did manage to make each of the characters shine for their relationships.

I got a strange joy of seeing Mari stamp people on the head.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13 (finale)

And that was a finale. A finale a filled smiles, and the tears they held back to say goodbye with a smile. If there was something they did strong in Sunshine, it was the decision that they actually failed in the end to save the school. That it put more weight into what their goal was, and the time they really spent. They tried their hardest, and that really meant something, and it was not everything they failed at. Sunshine started with the mantra of Zero to One, that in the search of radiance the struggle is important, and failure is going to happen, but how you react to that will be important.

The series has had kind of an up hill for this theme, and again I think it is that they already had the success with Muse, how were they supposed to do an underdog story with the going from zero if the roadmap had already been laid? How would fans even fully accept the new girls when favourite of the previous group had already been picked? Honestly I think the show never fully escaped this, it always felt like it was in the shadow of its predecessor, and I think it tried to use it in its first season by saying the girls were just trying to copy Muse. It was through failure it kind of found its own footing, both in the show and with it in general. The second season managed to work better at setting these characters out, giving them their own character. Some of the best episodes this season were probably the ones addressing one or two characters as individuals, the stand out I can see the Dia episode, and the Yoshiko/Riko episode. I think this season also made Mari my favourite of the group, I liked her being a goofball, but perhaps the most deep thinking one, feeling responsible for things that go wrong.

Maybe strange to say, but I think one thing Sunshine has done especially strongly is this ending, the one that gave reason for where it ended, and really made it feel like a journey. I did have some tears in my eyes. It was a good goodbye. But I am also interested there seeming to be a the green light for a movie of Sunshine, and after the previous movie I am interested for the last hurrah of Aqours. And even afterwards, if they will continue for a 3rd generation of Love Live, and that they might go for something a little different. But before that, a rating of Sunshine Season 2. I give it a Very good (8/10), pretty much on par for what I expect, which is fairly high, but still I will say I like the 1st generation a little bit more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3