• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Land of the Lustrous (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote

Land of the Lustrous (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: In the distant future, a new life form called "hōseki" (gems) is born. The 28 gems must fight against the "tsukijin" (moon people) who want to attack them and turn them into decorations, so each gem is assigned a role such as a fighter or a medic. Though she hopes to fight the moon people, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' manager Adamantine asks her to edit a natural history magazine.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

Well this was interesting. Even though this anime's visual quality is a bit different compared to some of the other Fall shows, it doesn't feel distracting and in fact distinctive. First episode also introduces the main world and the existence of Gems. The importance of these gems are recognized pretty well.

Action wise, I think this show did its job. Again, I think this show has potential based on the first epsiode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I think it is true so far that the choice of fully CG makes this look distinctive instead of distracting, it serves a purpose for conveying the nature of these gem people. It created some nice highlight when we had a scene like Phos shattering, which carried on to her being able to hold conversations despite being shattered. In general at least in the first episode I thought it looked pretty good with the CG, like some environment, so I think for now I am interested to see how that will hold up, and what they will do with the story.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Whoa, not used this forum have we, I guess the one in the episode review area is done more so.

Kind of crazy at this point where we have Phos change so much. That she may be physically stronger, but it also things like she has kind of broken, lost parts of what made her who she was, and gained others that have made her a far less happy person.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
I've still been following this anime but wow, Phos really changed from this week's episode...

She still looks somewhat the same but her personality really has changed. It was like a totally different character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

And if you thought the animation in previous episodes could be impressive, this one was like a crazy rollercoaster. The amount it had me on the edge, it really outdid itself this time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Weirdest Lunarian ever, and doubly weird considering what it was like last episode. Also adorable.

Phos though seems to be the only one to really be seeing that something is dang well not right, and continuing to act without any idea of what is maybe foolish. I am just not sure if it is a bad thing, that maybe from losing something like trust with parts they have lost, or good like it is a sign that Phos is one of the few to kind of grown up and see the problem. Not just trust the authority figure who is keeping secrets.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
This thread is surprisingly empty especially considering this show is rated as the (current) highest of the season. I was somewhat skeptical at the start about how well this show would be received but it turned out to be VERY good. After watching episode 12 I have started to read the manga spoiler[if there is a season 2 (which I hope there is) it will get very interesting after the big plot twist]. This show is definitely in my top 5 for the year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Land of the Lustrous really turned out to be a gem this season. Has that joke been run into the ground yet? I think it is kind of odd, in that there should be a lot to say, but not many of us came to this thread to say them. Going for a rating now, I am going with Excellent (9/10), certainty among the most notable of the year.

It starts alone that it is so odd. A choice of CG animation over traditional, and the characters look human at first, yet are decidedly not such, and not even a gender. That part was beautifully shown in the first episode where we saw Phos suddenly fall to pieces, and to think where we have gone with Phos. I came thinking part way through, that Phos' character is kind of like Akko from Little Witch Academia, a real attempt at doing coming of age.

There feels like there is a lot to say, like about the characters, and about the mystery which is decidedly not finished yet, that a sequel is desperately wanted. But it kind of feels like an experience hard to put into a large amount of words. The show is just pretty, both is a visual sense, but in other senses too, like the OP that especially grew on me. It helped when I noticed that the both the OP and ED seemed to be the same people as the OP and ED of Little Witch Academia, which I find hard to believe to be a coincidence over someone thinking it a good idea. That bit is kind of crazy to check the credits that they have barely worked on many things, but both happened to do the OP or the ED with these two. I wonder if they do a specific good work at setting this tone of coming of age.

Anyway, hope this will be a case that we get to see more. This is a good show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1