• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Himouto! Umaru-chan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So happy that Sylphyn showed up also, managed to have the main cast together. My only problem would be that Umaru did not confess about her different sides to her friends. The episode being in Enoshima made me think of an anime set there. And oh my, that add, wanted to see the Titan in it.

On the series as a whole, this was probably one of the biggest surprises of the season. The reason being that it would have been so easy to get this show wrong, to have just made it pandering moe service of a chibi looking character, but I don't think it did. The chibifying did wonders at removing any sexiness (there has to be a better word than that) from Umaru, as regardless of what sort of situation she may then be we see her mostly as a lazy "himouto". And the relationships feel like they work, I think they managed to implement this little sister thing, even with Ebina who is technically not a sister. There is this goofiness to a lot of things that are played off by the hamster aesthetics and the music, and the characters feel like more than the busty one or accidentally creepy one.

And the show is funny, it feels like a pick me up, and that I would point in general to the OP song. The OP manages to perfectly capture the series, I could just listen to it when I feel down, and it looks entertaining too...... Sorry, I was getting distracted listening to the full version. I will rate the series as Very good, I could really watch more. As a last note, praise for Umaru's voice actress who before now seems to have mostly done small roles.
PikaMadness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
This anime is #1 on my list MAINLY because Umaru is adorable asf and anyone who says otherwise can fight me lol. Chibified UMARU IS LITERALLY THE CUTEST character EVER and I really hope they make a season 2, even though the anime doesn't have much plot lol.
VicViper_Mk2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Watching the anime, I noticed throughout the show there is a lot of references to modern day things, companies, etc. Such as Capcom (Gapcom), iPad (MogPad), OnePiece (Junpiece), Hatsune Miku (Migu), Pringles (Bringles) etc. Now I can understand that if you were to use the original name you would have to pay a licensing fee to the respective IP holder. But come on, do they really think by changing a word or letter they could pass it off as something completely different? an iPad is an iPad no matter what you call it. Besides, the setting is modern day Japan, not some alternate dimension/reality, what's wrong with using well-known brands. (like Cola, granted they didn't use the full name, but at least they didn't change it to something completely different)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
You say that like the number one fast food place in anime WcDonalds and it is putting any energy into pretending that it is not McDonalds. I think the point is that they just cannot use the name, it does not really matter how obvious it is the product as long the name is not used if they are not affiliated with them. Himouto Umaru-chan pretty much lives off having every day recognisable things, at one point recreates a Pokémon video game battle down to making the music and sound effects herself, names were altered because they are not affiliated with them, but the viewer needs to feel the familiarity.

But it is not all fair game though I guess, thinking of a couple cases where infringement may have happened, Osomatsu-san parodied characters too closely without permission, and a special of Index parodied Ika Musume too closely without permission. I am not really sure where the line is.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 1

I couldn't find a dedicated thread for the second season so I guess this is the right thread? But, anyway, this show is back! Yay. The first episode was decent. The soccer match was kinda dull expect for any scene that had Ebina in it. I like her reactions.

I love the ending theme. It's great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The first episode could probably get broken up into 3 distinct parts of Umaru. The first being her sort of self destructive behaviour, the second that despite that she does have an attachment to other people, that she was not going to abandon the whole task to Ebina despite wanting to. And the last was a more clear example of Umaru's relationships with her friends, Ebisa, Kirie and Sylphin. and does value them. And does feel more of as the different sides being a part of her rather than separate.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Funny start so far. Glad to see all the characters back and Umaru is still the same as I remember her from two years ago.

The comedy is still funny as I recall with Umaru's double personality. Ebina is also really funny to watch as she made her return too. I can't say that the new OP song is better than the previous as I personally prefer the first season's theme song though. Still, the sequel met my expectations so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 12 (finale)

At least I think it is the finale, there was nothing really hugely sentimental. Just a Christmas and New Years episode.

I liked this season, I think it had improvements like along the lines of Umaru being more appreciative of Taihei, his part in the OP especially about how much she likes him. Umaru in general was less of a problem, and had more about her creating genuine relationships with people, along with some of them having relationships with the others.

Only points I might mark down, is that being the second season it was not quite as fresh, nothing like a big surprise. Hikari was probably the closest, with some of her facial expressions being very funny, but maybe not enough. It makes me think comparing my thoughts to the first season kind of hard, as I don't think it had as much impact, but it was generally better. It kind of has me wonder if would be like a Yuru Yuri sort of thing where I think, nothing really new happen, but I still actually enjoy the following seasons, which is not too much of a surprise for director Masahiko Ohta's these types of comedies. It does not actually get boring.

Anyway, despite being better than the first, I give a Good (7/10) rating, it is worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4