• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2 (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote

UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2 (TV)

Genres: Action, Sci-Fi, Magic, Fantasy, Shounen
Themes:

Plot Summary: Negi Springfield, the boy wizard, fought and won many battles. Now it is decades later and Negi's grandson, a little boy name Tōta, dreams of leaving his quiet village and heading to the City to climb to the top of the space elevator and make a name for himself. But first he must defeat his teacher, the immortal vampire, Evangeline.
----------------------------------

Started reading the manga while ago and I've been a fan of the franchise. I'm not surprised it got an anime adaptation. The OVA aired recently and the TV series is set to air for Fall.

Definitely looking forward to this as I'm curious to see how they plan to do the storytelling from a universe with a lot of of characters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
How was the OVA?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I am somewhat familiar with the Negima franchise, I have seen the previous two series (the second being an alternate universe thing), and the first series was kind of my preferred version, so I am happy that this seems to be along those lines. The OP is even Happy Material, the same song from the original series, which itself had several iteration through its run, which felt pretty nostalgic with how I actually listen to the song every so often.

Anyway, it was not a bad first episode, I have seen a lot of worse things, I would say harem like this could not be too bad. And I get to see characters like Evangeline without having to go through a ridiculous amount of manga. The vampire aspect seems to be a larger part.
Ringking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or does anyone else that has read the manag find Tota's voice is nowhere near what they expected? In my mind he's also sounded like some cool guy wanna-be, rather than a little kid. That's the only real complaint I have. Other than that, so far so good.Negima is one of my favorite Manga and UQ Holder isn't bad either, so I hope for a good addaptation.

I noticed in one of the season preview guide thingies that there was mention that there was to much exposition in the first episode. Personally I don't mind that, considering one of my cheif critisisms of the manga is that theres periods where there isn't enugh of it, there are time when it's just like "ok, battle now", and they can get kinda annnoying.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Lol, they didn't waste any time showing off the fan service in this anime. I mean, even the first opening minutes had the girls barely dressed.

I think the OP song is fine so far, nothing too special but works for this show.
They didn't take time to introduce Yukihime right into this season. I think the highlight so far of this episode is the character chemistry between her and Touta. I like her voice acting tbh, fits for her character.

I feel the comedy is a hit or miss right now. Might have to get used to it like the manga. Action was okay, felt like it's more of a tease to set up for the bigger things. The second latter of this episode gave me more interest for this show and apparently, it's not afraid to show off some violence.

Yeah, I'm definitely expecting this anime adaptation to skip around a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

So Kuroumaru Tokisaka debuts in this show. I kinda expected the meeting to be fanservicy.

The fight between Touta and Kuroumaru got more intense than I had thought. Kuromaru is definitely not someone to underestimate given those moves. One thing interesting about Kuroumaru Tokisaka is that the character is genderless but does have a female VA.

Still a lot of fan service in this show. I kinda expected it since it's Uq Holder.

Btw, I'm guessing this anime will be 1 cour at this point...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
I liked how Evangeline was more annoyed by the actual lack of interest, while not caring so much about the attempt of peaking, seeing it as "healthy".
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3-4 have show the show still has a chance to wow people.
Arguably that was one of the best early UQ Holder arcs published.
spoiler[
Someone pointed out to me that Santa(the ghost, not xmas's Santa Claus) wasn't in the very-end credits. Suggesting that School Academy Ghost arc may have been dropped.
]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
spoiler[
Someone pointed out to me that Santa(the ghost, not xmas's Santa Claus) wasn't in the very-end credits. Suggesting that School Academy Ghost arc may have been dropped.
]

spoiler[Not uncommon for later characters to be added in after they're introduced. Similarly expect Fate to be facing the camera when he's formally introduced.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

They really worked their way into a battle at the end, before also having one as essentially fanservice of the Negima franchise of the in having the old class all do their thing, which I don't think was barely a part power levels of the previous two series. But I guess I still enjoyed it.

I am indeed aware that for this anime they jumped over a bunch of stories and changed things for this 12 episode adaption, which would probably piss off a lot of the fans of the manga. But to be honest I actually am not too fussed over it, if anything I am kind of happy that if this was only going to manage 12 episodes, that we actually could get a confrontation that could explain what the deal was. That Tota is a clone (artificial person), and that Negi is possessed by an evil woman. It makes it more satisfying as an anime only viewer that I really could get some sense of a closure of the arc, even as it is purposefully doing a this is not the end, and there is a couple more secrets, It at least feels I got a feel of some things. Even if things were skipped over, it feels like I got the spirit of the series, which probably would not have fitted in the allotted episodes.

It doesn't mean I either think the show was really good. I said that it put the spirit across, but other than that I don't think it could quite decide what it wanted to be, either social commentary or harem hijinks, I think it tried the first, but not getting very far fell back on the second, and still I don't think got the chemistry quite right to really succeed at that. Not great, but I feel like it at least tried, none of it really made me angry or frustrated either, picking a best girl is usually in order, but it kind of feels like a number really did not get the dedication to make me quite care about a lot of them, so Evangeline wins because I kind of cared about her from the start.

I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I can't say I really lost my time watching it, but I would probably accept it might deserve a little lower in ways. I think I just feel even complaints I put above about not quite knowing what it wanted to be, it still did its job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1