• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Grand Order Dōjinshi Author Reports Sales Halt Due to Violating Guidelines

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
I guess the issue here is people could look at the cover and reasonably think that it was an official product, not a doujin.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I love the fact that in Japan, you can basically write fanfiction and have it be sold at regular bookstores.

Wish US copyright holders were as open to the idea.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that logo is pretty much copy and pasted from the source that it's parodying. I'm surprised there isn't an approval needed before it goes up for sale at Melonbooks/Toranoana/etc.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that the fan author was served a notice by the copy right holder. It would appear most of the time doujinshi and fan published material are allowed to be sold without the rights holders exercising their legal right for C&D, but in this case it seems like the use of the Fate/Grand Order logo crossed the line.

I’m actually surprised the fan author didn’t choose a more different design for the fan book, as I was under the impression that it’s an unsaid(?) rule amongst Japanese fans that fan works should use fonts and designs distinguishable from the original to avoid confusion and thus threats of lawsuits and legal action. Other than this example I don’t think I’ve seen official looking logos used on fanworks in Japan unless here was some sort of existing official authorization.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, they started selling the doujin novel before the official stated that they can't use logo resembling the official one.

They started publishing the novel in Comiket92 (August 2017) while the new official guidelines was created at the end of September.

That said, I think this guideline was made specifically for this doujin novel, since a lot of people are getting the wrong idea about it being "official doujin novel" published by the copyright holder. This doujin novel was using the logo very similar to the official product, and they are selling the novel in great scale in regular bookstore, so of course the officials are not taking this well.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
I suppose it would help if Shinobu Hashimoto did some additional tweets on what the guidelines are.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I suppose it would help if Shinobu Hashimoto did some additional tweets on what the guidelines are.

the post above you have the links for both the guideline and its translation.
https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/72lef4/new_official_guidelines_regarding_doujinfanworks/
another translation: https://twitter.com/i/moments/912690803926896641
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1