• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Action Heroine Cheer Fruits Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote
id-0 review when? The series was released last friday
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
I was quite impressed with the first episode but just didn't have time to keep up with the series, but I had planned to go back and watch it if overall reviews were favorable. A little disappointed to hear that it didn't maintain at its starting level, but still sounds like it might be worth checking out.

As for ID-0? Missed hearing that it's available now. You might see something on it next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Agree with pretty much everything in this review, but I'll also add that the middle portion gets really repetitive and the pace feel sluggish. This really increase the feeling of "too many character" since you end with a bunch of episode in a row where some character go trough the same development, more or less. Capping it at 5 main character would have been far better.

I feel like the show would have been better as 10 minute short.
Nate148

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Yea thats a shame looked like it might have been a under rated show
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Unless something changes this season, Cheer Fruits is my "Anime of the Year" and I consider it superior in every way (aside from production value and of course music) to Love Live. It's hard to articulate what I like so much about the show, but I'll give it a try.

I think that the appeal of the show - at least for me - really depends on how much you were into pop culture stage shows as a child. My younger brother and I must have watched our VHS copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming out of their Shells at least two dozen times, and it was in many ways our preferred way of experiencing that franchise. My favorite part was always the sequence where Shredder had "taken over" the stage show, and the Turtles were hanging around "backstage", trying to figure out what to do. As a little kid, I totally bought into the idea that the Turtles were no longer in control of their own stage show - as if Shredder had brought in his own lighting crew and stagehands who knocked out the Turtles' crew. (I guess when you think about it, little kids are almost comically gullible.)

Also, every time I see the whole "everybody in the world, lend me your spirit energy" bit in an anime or video game, it immediately brings me back to very vivid memories of sitting on the floor in front of the television, trying as hard as I can to bring Tinkerbell back to life in the stage version of Peter Pan. Cheer Fruits digs deep into that particular stagecraft trick, and there is a scene midway through the show's run where the girls are on their way to their obligatory beach episode, but are caught in the middle of a storm on a stalled train (the ol' "a fallen tree is blocking the track" bit, which still happens a lot more frequently in real life than you'd think) with a bunch of frightened young children.

One of the girls realizes that the crying kids are fans of the stage show, and convinces them that if they all sing together, the power of music will protect them from the storm. It was a powerful scene for me, and reminded me that there was a time in my life when I could be convinced that stuff like the "power of song" was magic.

All in all, I suppose that how much you like the show depends on how strongly you identify with the little kids who make up the girls' audiences. If you don't have any real attachment to the concept, I can understand how the show could come across as "just okay", and I suspect that there isn't really enough crossover between anime otaku and fans of hammy mascot stage shows to justify the costs of a second season. In my opinion, though, this is one of the coolest anime-original projects from the past several years, and I encourage everyone to at least give it a few episodes before moving on to this season's current strong slate of offerings. It would be a real shame if people just forgot about this show.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I was quite impressed with the first episode but just didn't have time to keep up with the series, but I had planned to go back and watch it if overall reviews were favorable. A little disappointed to hear that it didn't maintain at its starting level, but still sounds like it might be worth checking out.

same
GNX903VSBrave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the girls realizes that the crying kids are fans of the stage show, and convinces them that if they all sing together, the power of music will protect them from the storm. It was a powerful scene for me, and reminded me that there was a time in my life when I could be convinced that stuff like the "power of song" was magic.

Agreed. This was one of the moments that really elevated the show at times. I think the show did a good job of keeping the girls grounded by limiting their audience to just a small group of kids. I also thought that Genki's disability was handled well and that a lot of shows should take note.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
While I do agree that the show's central cast was too large for it to handle (I'm especially disappointed that Roko's relationship with Misaki didn't get developed more, as her second episode tread much of the same ground as the first one) and the technical highlights were few and far between, I had fun with this series. I especially liked the relationship between the Aoyama sisters, as well as the cheeky references to other anime, both in the episode titles and the episodes themselves, like the totally-not-Serval-from-Kemono-Friends in one brief scene (which made the part where spoiler[the girls get struck with a cease-and-desist letter for staging unauthorized shows of an existing character] even funnier as a bit of meta commentary).
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
This is a fair review. The production never managed to keep up the quality of the first episode.

A big part of that was the cast being too large for a one-cour show; what did Midorikawa do beyond the second episode, anyway? And Mikan - so effective in the opener - became largely overshadowed by the more competent girls even though she was the emotional heart and soul of the group. I too think that limiting the group to just five or so girls (six at most) would have gave greater focus to the show. Imagine Hanayamata with nine girls; yeah, not going to work. Have fewer characters and give them greater development, and if a second season is made then expand the group to nine.

Same as this reviewer I still really liked Action Heroine Cheer Fruits despite its faults. It was cute and engendered warm fuzzy feelings, and never lost the aura of a scrappy-but loveable underdog whom you want to root for. Sometimes you just want those sorts of feel-good shows, you know? Especially in the season that also featured Made in Abyss.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
In a production sense it was mediocre, characters were probably not balanced properly for such a large size, and it lacked a little something from being exciting. But it somehow stayed entertaining for some actually well executed moments, and feeling of genuine nature. I too thought that how it handled Genki was especially good, she was my favourite character in the end. It felt good in making sure she was included while aking into account.t that she indeed had a disability, but not using it as a crutch to get sympahty

Even if pink was possibly the biggest at risk of being the too many characters addition, I still found her introduction episode to be especially entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1