• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game: Round 17

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Past results:
Round 1<
Round 2<
Round 3<
Round 4<
Round 5<
Round 6<
Round 7<
Round 8<
Round 9<
Round 10<
Round 11<
Round 12<
Round 13<
Round 14<
Round 15<
Round16<
__
RULES - Quotes:

1. Only one person at a time may have an active quote. In an open turn (see below) the first quote posted is active. Otherwise only the person who correctly guessed the previous quote may post one.

2. An open turn is in effect if a quote goes unguessed for 48 hours or the person correctly guessing the previous quote either says he/she is passing or does not post a new quote within 24 hours.

3. Posted quotes must be distinctive to a particular title or franchise, should not contain major spoilers or profanity (if the latter is unavoidable, it should be censored), and cannot be from a title used in one of the previous four quotes. Both single-line and multiple-line dialogue exchanges are acceptable.

Bad Example: "If you don't come back, I will never forgive you." (Way too many possible sources.)

Good Single-Line Example: "Make a pilgrimage for the past with me."

Good Multi-line Example:
Character A: "What does the scouter say about his power level?!"
Character B: "It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAND!"

4. As shown above, the entire quote must be bolded for a single line quote and the key line to be identified must be bolded in a dialogue exchange quote. Spolierish character, power, or location names within a quote can be replaced with "[Character B]" or "[spoiler power name]" or something like that, as necessary.

5. Quotes must be given in English and must be from released fansubs, official subs, or official dubs that have been available for a week or more. Specifying whether the quote is from fansubbed, subbed, or dubbed material is required.

6. If the quote used is one that is repeated verbatim by more than one character in the same title then any of the speakers of the quote must be accepted as correct. (Optionally in this case, the quote poster may specify "first speaker" or "general context in which the quote is used" up front.)
_
Rules - Hints

7. Up to four hints may, at the quote poster's option, be provided. They should be staggered over the course of the 48 hours, with 8-10 hour intervals being recommended. While hints are not explicitly required, not providing them for a quote which is clearly difficult is considered unsportsmanlike.

8. Hints must follow the format shown below. Their content should be a substantive clue about one or more of the speaker(s), the source material, or the context of the scene. Don't just restate something that's obvious from the quote! Also, saying that the source title is based on a visual novel or game or something of that nature is acceptable, but making comparisons between the anime and its alternate form isn't. (For instance, "Character A's behavior is very different in the anime than it is in the source manga" is a bad hint.)

Example: Hint #1: spoiler[This is a proper way to give a hint.]

Rules - Answers

9. Answers must be spoiler-tagged or they do not count as answers.

10. Answers must specify the speaker of the bolded quote, the source material, and the context of the scene. To meet the context requirement, two of the following four conditions must be fulfilled:

• Addressee(s) (if single speaker) or other speakers (if multiple speakers)
• Episode # (for series)/how far into the film (for movies or one-shots)
• Why the quote is being said or what it really means
• *When and where it's happening.

The quote poster must accept any answer that meets the minimum requirements but may choose to accept a less than perfect answer on the context. The poster may also allow a guesser who gives a partial answer to clarify before rejecting the answer, provided that another poster doesn't give a more accurate answer first.[/color]

Good Example: spoiler[Character A is Kirika and Character B is Mireille, from the scene in Noir at the end of episode 1 where they agree to work together as Noir.]

11. Each guesser gets only one official guess per quote, so make it count!

Lastly - and this is general advice rather than a rule - this game is not meant to be a test of Google-fu. Merely plugging the quote into a search engine, and basing an answer on that, is considered unsportsmanlike behavior. If you're obviously doing this on a regular basis then you may be asked not to participate anymore.

Minigames

Anyone may post a minigame picture while waiting for a winning guesser to post a new quote, but only one may be in play at any time. The point of these is to guess what the character(s) in the posted picture are saying at that point. These do count for points but do not have to be guessed before the next main-game quote, so be sure to catch them before they zip away! Also, minigame pictures that are not guessed before the next quote can be reused.

Scoring

The scoring at the end of 50 pages will be one point per correct guess for a main game or minigame quote in official play.

Finally, should any problems arise, Key is the final arbiter of any rule or scoring issues, while Raftina will be the new scorekeeper.

Last edited by Key on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
No rule changes; I just took the red off of the couple of changes last round.

Oh, and errinundra is listed as scorekeeper only on technicality. We're actually looking for someone to step up and fill that role. PM me if you're interested.

We finished on an open turn, so anyone may post a quote to get the ball rolling here.

UPDATE!

Raftina has volunteered to be the new scorekeeper, but he will just be keeping score. I will now be making any rulings on score issues.

Last edited by Key on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I will be your opponent.

sub
A: Brother? Am I a nuisance? If I were gone, would everyone get along better?
B: A. If... I were the only person in the world who really loved you, would you be sad?
A: I'm so happy, I can't stop smiling.
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[A grants 1 wish in return for 3 wishes.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
This is spoiler[Killua (B) speaking to Alluka (A) from Hunter x Hunter 2011 episode 141. Killua and Alluka are fleeing from Illumi and I guess Killua is asking if it bothers Alluka how Alluka is hated by Illumi and the rest of the Zoldyck family and that Killua might be the only one who really cares about Alluka.]

Last edited by Cam0 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
That is correct.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
I don't know how to use they as like a gender neutral pronoun.

He/she is an idiot.
They... is (?) an idiot. No, that sounds weird. So:
They are an idiot. No, that can't be right. I was never taught to use they like this at school. There's no way one can use they in a sentence like that, right?

I'll post a quote in a while.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't know how to use they as like a gender neutral pronoun.

He/she is an idiot.
They... is (?) an idiot. No, that sounds weird. So:
They are an idiot. No, that can't be right. I was never taught to use they like this at school. There's no way one can use they in a sentence like that, right?

I'll post a quote in a while.

Uh, you definitely can. For example "Someone asked me what time it was, but when I turned around, they were gone"
Raftina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I just use feminine pronouns because she uses them, as does Kilkua.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Alright then. I guess I'll try using they in the future instead of referring to a person repeatedly by their name or using the awkward he/she. My language only has gender neutral pronouns so it doesn't have this kind of problem.

Anyway, I guess I'll go with this. From subs:

Character A: This feels good! But is it okay for us to do this while everyone else works?

Character B: It's fine. Let the boys handle the grunt work. It's a great opportunity to wipe the sweat off, too!

Character A: I should've invited X!

Character B: Are you serious? You can't bathe with a guy.

Character A: What are you saying? X is not a guy!

Character B: What?

Character A: X is X!

Character B: I see...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Addy explaining her "unique" perspective of Ernesti to Helvi while the two take a bath. Knights and Magic.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Correct.

Oh, I noticed a horrible, terrible mistake in that opening post. On that list of Past results the Round 16 doesn't have a space between "Round" and "16" like the rest of 'em does.

Key wrote:
Past results:

Round 14<
Round 15<
Round16<

Razz
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Fansub:

Character A: It's almost your birthday, B. The most important part of a birthday is to still be around for your next one.

Character B: This isn't the time for that!

Character A: I don't know my real birthday. So that makes other people's birthdays all the more important to me.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[Character A just used a normally suicidal super move to block an enemy's attack.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[A was taken in by a shady organization as a kid. There she was forced to use the titular power, even given drugs to enhance her compatibility with it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 32