• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
King's Game The Animation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote

King's Game The Animation (TV)

Genres: drama, horror, mystery, supernatural, thriller
Themes: gore, school, survival game

Plot Summary: An entire high school class of 32 people receive a message on their cellphones from a person known only as the "King." The messages contain orders that the students must obey, or they risk the punishment of death. With their lives on the line, the students soon find out that the orders are getting more and more extreme as time goes on.
----------------------------------

Survivor horror anime series based on the manga of the same name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I'm not a fan of the MC so far, he seems really generic and not interesting based on the first episode.

They're keeping the violence in this as expected so be prepared for more of that.

I'll give this a chance but the story feels like it can easily be a hit or miss (I'm leaning towards the miss side right now). Hope they can give the more prominent characters (not including Nobuaki) more characterization. There seems to be a lot of characters in this anime (as expected though)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I feel a little queasy over the hint of bloody violence in this one that I would not have over some others, kind of like with Psychopass. I might watch it, but I foresee myself being pretty sensitive to this after just the first episode. It is like a certain kind of gore, that something like Made In Abyss does not evoke, but churns my stomach.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
This is giving me a Danganronpa-esque vibe, with how disturbing it's going to be. We'll see how long I can put up with it.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

How nice of them to help lighten the mood by giving whatsername an "evil manipulator" switch. Having her deal with what was going on as a normal human being might have been dark.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I am disappoint. I was hoping we'd see what the next day in class would be like with, you know, 10 out of 32 students dead. I don't get MC's attitude. He keeps on saying that to survive the class has to be unified and talk stuff out. Uh, how exactly is that going to help?

Also, Round-heels, sudden switch to homicidal maniac isn't completely out of the blue. Her sudden love for bland MC for no good reason was an early indication of mental instability, imo.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely starting to remind me of Another. I just hope the deaths get creative.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I am disappoint. I was hoping we'd see what the next day in class would be like with, you know, 10 out of 32 students dead. I don't get MC's attitude. He keeps on saying that to survive the class has to be unified and talk stuff out. Uh, how exactly is that going to help?

I believe it would be setting up some rules to survive. Like no making any orders of own to kill another, but also following orders without it being held against them by other people, maybe even the class helping to cover for members to allow them to complete the tasks without making some big problem.

Agreed that the one girl doing a 180 from being harmless to being a full blown psycho is groan worthy, it makes her not even feel human. Even if she is that on the inside, why would she suddenly start to show her true colours at this situation rather than keeping up the act to use it for manipulation, instead she just up and shows she is crazy. Everyone saw her trying to really hit on the main character, begging him to take her, and then everyone believes that he is the one attacking her when they walk off alone all of a sudden. It is poor characterisation or scene awareness.

This could work as some nice campy stuff though going forward. Do we have some indication that the game ends only after one person left, or some time period?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
Very poor writing for the second episode..
I'm pretty disappointed.

The way that the flashback was told didn't even made me it was a flashback until near the end. I also don't feel anything for Daisuke (the victim) or any of the other cast at the moment. The main protagonist isn't fun to watch and neither is the main girl.

Speaking of which, Natsuko's character personality change didn't really surprise me. Even from watching the OP song once, it showed that she showed a different side to her character.

Too many characters...I don't have high hopes for this show. It was also recently announced the anime will be 12 episode so I expect the story will be rushed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
@ DP: according to MC, game only ends when there is one person left. He was the sole survivor of the last King's Game (and apparently the deaths of almost his entire class didn't make any news reports...)
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

And they said rape couldn't be funny. I have to admire the technique. 1 minute with an unconscious person? Even the initial 10 minute timeline was going to be a challenge. We just have to accept that Chiemi is a god at manipulating male sexual biology.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
This is one of twenty-three shows that I'm following this season. Why haven't I dropped it yet? Because it is so self-righteous and takes itself so ridiculously seriously that I find it amusing to watch. It is utter trash but doesn't know it, which makes it all the more funnier.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
Oh my god, who wrote this crap? I don't know if I am becoming more aware, but the writing in episode 3 felt like just the worst. Characters talk and or do actions that make no logical sense, everything is melodramatic, but the way they do it is so unnatural or self defeating in how they act. I was totally thinking the whole time that they did not know that the punishment would be death, so far the deaths as punishments has been from not following along or a direct order, so a situation where one had to lose did not mean that punishment would mean she died, but she somehow threw herself out of a window. How brittle are those windows that she could throw herself through it totally not affected by evil powers?

My other theory is that Naoya is totally into the main character, as the real reason why him confessing who liked could have been awkward, as would have been the order given.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
^ Was. Naoya is already among the toasted.

I was actually kinda hoping Nobuaki would man up and have sex with Naoya himself. The King never specified that it had to be hetero.

I dunno, this series doesn't seem to understand the "shock" part of "shock value." The initial gruesome scene may be shocking, but coming back to it from 8 different angles kinda blunts the viewer's reaction to the whole thing and it just comes off as stupid. Even stupider than all the kids seem to be.

Like, the girl who broke her phone - that was stupid but nothing says she can't use someone else's phone to make the deadline. And Kenta's silly plan to protect her is stupid too. Btw, iirc, the command just told her to text "die," it didn't say they would, did it?

And why would any of them listen to psycho-bitch for two seconds after she totally outed herself as a maniac?

I suppose this could be fun in a way since everyone seems to deserve to die, but aside from them all being horrible people, they're not so awful that there's any real satisfaction in it when they do.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
This is very possibly the stupidest show I have ever watched. My own intelligence is very much open to debate for watching something so idiotic that exposure to it HAS to be killing brain cells. I am not hate watching this. I am watching in morbid fascination to see exactly how stupid it will get.

Beyond the terrible writing, what is so annoying is the constant repetition. We are seeing the same scene over and over again, just with different characters. An order comes down. Nobody wants to do it, but eventually they all do or they don't and die. It's the same dynamic over and over again: people faced with no way to fight against their problem. Are they really planning to do 12 episodes of this or are we eventually going to see some attempt to fight back against the game itself?

Also, it seems that flashbacks to the first game are going to comprise most of any given episode which is stupid. We know the outcome of that game, there is no suspense. I'm still waiting to see what "the next day" looks like in the present when the 22 survivors return to school. I wonder if we'll ever see that scene? Or is this going to be a single long night with flashbacks to a game that is already over? Oi vey.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3