• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Three Leaves, Three Colors BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I watched that... which is all about you can say about it.

It was there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub is a generally solid take on the show, and I particularly liked Tabitha Ray's slightly nasally take on Hayama.

That's all I wanted from this review. I really like Tabitha Ray as an actress. Nick, we may not always agree on what makes a good English dub (seriously, you said this dub was generally solid but not Hyouka's? Really?? Adam Gibbs was perfect as Houtarou! And Blood Blockade Battlefront's dub was fantastic and everybody knows it! Maybe you should-- ahem, sorry about that Razz), but we can at least agree on wanting more Tabitha Ray in English dubs, right? Smile

Last edited by Raebo101 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:
The dub is a generally solid take on the show, and I particularly liked Tabitha Ray's slightly nasally take on Hayama.

That's all I wanted from this review. I really like Tabitha Ray as an actress. Nick, we may not always agree on what makes a good English dub (seriously, you said this dub was generally solid but not Hyouka? Really?? Adam Gibbs was perfect as Houtarou! And Blood Blockade Battlefront's dub was fantastic and everybody knows it! Maybe you should-- ahem, sorry about that Razz), but we can at least agree on wanting more Tabitha Ray in English dubs, right? Smile

Tabitha is great, now that she's directing at funimation hopefuly she'll start popping up in more dubs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Quote:

That's all I wanted from this review. I really like Tabitha Ray as an actress. Nick, we may not always agree on what makes a good English dub (seriously, you said this dub was generally solid but not Hyouka? Really?? Adam Gibbs was perfect as Houtarou! And Blood Blockade Battlefront's dub was fantastic and everybody knows it! Maybe you should-- ahem, sorry about that Razz), but we can at least agree on wanting more Tabitha Ray in English dubs, right? Smile

Tabitha is great, now that she's directing at funimation hopefuly she'll start popping up in more dubs.

I didn't know she was getting into directing. Though with the time constraints and sheer number of dubs they do these days, several actors have now stepped into that role.

Overall, I liked this show, though I'm a big sucker for slice-of-life, so if I like the characters, I'll come away with a favorable opinion. The big surprise on the physical release was that there weren't any extras, not even clean OP/ED. Then again, Funimation left the Japanese credits intact, and added English ones after the episodes, so it's possible that they never got those materials in the first place.

Last edited by Greed1914 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I had fun watching Three Leaves, Three Colors. Smile The three starring girls' unique personality quirks made for some really hilarious moments.

I agree with others that Tabitha Ray's performance as Teru Hayama was fantastic.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I watched this it was innocuous and amusing that is really I can remember about it
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I didn't know she was getting into directing. Though with the time constraints and sheer number of dubs they do these days, several actors have now stepped into that role.

Overall, I liked this show, though I'm a big sucker for slice-of-life, so if I like the characters, I'll come away with a favorable opinion. The big surprise on the physical release was that there weren't any extras, not even clean OP/ED. Then again, Funimation left the Japanese credits intact, and added English ones after the episodes, so it's possible that they never got those materials in the first place.[/quote]

I don't know, they did the same thing with the space patrol luluco endings. They kept the original Japanese language end credits intact and did a separate English credits afterwards, so that could be a new thing for them. who knows
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
I remember thinking a thing I liked about Futaba was that despite her character roll as the big eater and super friendly, she was actually pretty smart, and could even play the part of straight man like the cooking segment. The trio really having conflicting natures that made them more than a single personality element.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this anime, quirky characters and humour, still have nice memories of this title Anime smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zetsuei380

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Maybe its because I've become too jaded to Japanese voices, but I found the dub to be superior to the original. I found the original JP voices to be too generic for me, while I found the eng dub voices (as well as dubs in general) to be a breath of fresh air. I also found the dub's dialogue to be funnier (especially Hayama) and even improved some scenes. I don't know to me the dub turn a rather standard generic slice of life anime into a decent comedy show.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
the show was pretty harmless and forgettable

but the animation was amazing. the character animation was brilliant. seriously one of the best animated shows I've seen in a long long time. It's worth watching just for the animation and character acting.
the final episode, where they're running down the hall and showing all the characters, was brilliant
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1