• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: DAYS Soccer TV Anime Gets Finale as 3 New Original Anime DVDs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubyleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Oh, good to know MAPPA actually cares about this series. Who was it that announced a second season with a cool visual again? Must've been MAPPA's doppelganger. Or maybe the studio was drunk, and what they actually meant was "a sequel in the form of three limited-edition pity OVAs with good animation to make up for the fact that we're trying to cram 20+ chapters of manga into three episodes and basically turning this into an animated recap." Wow.

In other, completely unrelated news, this anime adaptation is now dead to me, and so is studio MAPPA. If you don't give a crap about a series, don't leave fans hanging and then shove a pity meal down their throats. Just say there won't be no second season because you don't care about anything that's not chock-full of pretty girls or YOI and be done with it. Bye.
FH14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
That's... disappointing, but at least they're doing a conclusion at all? :/

I wonder if there's any chance that Crunchyroll will pick these up? (Along with the other two OVAs that have already been released).

Quote:
Just say there won't be no second season because you don't care about anything that's not chock-full of pretty girls or YOI and be done with it.

I don't really think there's much of a correlation here, especially since the next YOI project is a ways away (and its a movie not a season 2). If anything, any success for the studio gives them more breathing room to do projects that don't rake in as much money. (ex. back when K-On and Free were keeping the lights on at Kyoto Animation).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Rubyleaf wrote:
Who was it that announced a second season with a cool visual again? Must've been MAPPA's doppelganger.

Neither MAPPA nor anyone on the actual creative staff ever announced a second season. They only announced a sequel, which is what these original anime DVDs are.
Rubyleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:
I don't really think there's much of a correlation here, especially since the next YOI project is a ways away (and its a movie not a season 2). If anything, any success for the studio gives them more breathing room to do projects that don't rake in as much money. (ex. back when K-On and Free were keeping the lights on at Kyoto Animation).

I get that, I'm not saying it's bad they're doing YOI or that it's "stealing" MAPPA's attention away from anything else. But I'll never understand why studios pick up projects only to do them so... half-heartedly. I mean, DAYS was consistently off-model, the opening sequences were clip shows of scenes from the episodes that didn't even match the beat of the song, and so on and so forth. And that's a long line of series that have suffered the same fate from a zillion studios. My point is, why pick up a series if you're gonna handle it like that overdue academic paper you've been procrastinating on for weeks? That's just dooming it to flop, because fans will be disappointed and newcomers will drop it because the work is so half-assed. Self-fulfilling prophecy, so to speak. Under these circumstances, wouldn't it be better to just admit you'll only stick with the cash cows from the get-go and never announce a second season (or even a full-length adaptation) for the third-tier series, especially if you have no plans or means of actually delivering?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
That's about what I expected, since the show wasn't successful enough to get a whole additional season. At least it will get a better ending than stopping right before the match that will decide whether the team will qualify for nationals.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Rubyleaf wrote:
Oh, good to know MAPPA actually cares about this series. Who was it that announced a second season with a cool visual again? Must've been MAPPA's doppelganger. Or maybe the studio was drunk, and what they actually meant was "a sequel in the form of three limited-edition pity OVAs with good animation to make up for the fact that we're trying to cram 20+ chapters of manga into three episodes and basically turning this into an animated recap." Wow.

In other, completely unrelated news, this anime adaptation is now dead to me, and so is studio MAPPA. If you don't give a crap about a series, don't leave fans hanging and then shove a pity meal down their throats. Just say there won't be no second season because you don't care about anything that's not chock-full of pretty girls or YOI and be done with it. Bye.

Why are you mad at MAPPA though? They are just contractors that are paid to make whatever Days production committee wants them to make. If they were paid to make OVAs- then they'll make OVAs. Its not like they have any creative control over the series or get to decide on a continuation. I don't get why you would be mad at them for just taking a job... if they didn't the committee would have just gotten a different studio to make the OVAs.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Shame it sounds like the series won't be getting a second season. I rather enjoyed it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1