• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime That Almost Were

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Vibrant Wolf wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Man, I would've loved to have watched Despera and The Five Killers.

agreed. someone should totally put them into production.

Not sure the version wouldn't been the same with different directors.

point taken
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
I really hope that Psyren get an ani.e adaptation one day, that manga is really awesome
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
Speaking about Despera - I think it became that "project d" which was shown on anime expo.

partially wrote:
There is Project D of course, but I dunno if that counts. If I wasn't told he was doing the design work there I certainly wouldn't have picked it as him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIYgBgYrA0

Well, the overall quality of animations are dropped nowadays, so this is not surprising. Still, ABe's style could be easily recognized on female characters.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
cloudthe23 wrote:
I really hope that Psyren get an ani.e adaptation one day, that manga is really awesome

I really hope it will, but it's looking to be very unlikely. It didn't do well among Japanese audience and even got axed...
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Speaking about Despera - I think it became that "project d" which was shown on anime expo.

partially wrote:
There is Project D of course, but I dunno if that counts. If I wasn't told he was doing the design work there I certainly wouldn't have picked it as him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIYgBgYrA0

Well, the overall quality of animations are dropped nowadays, so this is not surprising. Still, ABe's style could be easily recognized on female characters.

Well, if that’s the case, it looks very different than what the initial images for Despera looked like. (I can tell at least that the females in Project D look like ABe’s work) If they eventually reveal Chiaki J. Konaka as involved somewhere in the writing department for Project D however, then you could very well be right that this is indeed Despera and my anticipation for it will grow immensely. (Also, I can’t believe that it has been over ten years since Konaka has last worked on any anime and even longer than that for ABe. It’s a weird and unfortunate fact.)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hannah Montana the anime would been worse than Abunai Sisters. I'm glad Toei had the sense to scrap that idea.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
An anime version of "Hannah Montana"? Good thing Toei scrapped that.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
Here's what I think of some of this stuff:

1.I never watched "Hannah Montana." It's not a show I wanted to see. Why on earth would an animated version of the same show be any better? I wouldn't care if either the U.S. or Japan or any other country made it. It's just something I wouldn't have watched anyway.

2.Unlike a lot of people here,I don't have a problem with an American version of "Sailor Moon." It's just that I don't think I could like the Toon Makers version. It had some good ideas but not enough of them to make me watch it. I hope someday an American version of "Sailor Moon" does come into being and I hope that it's good. But,I'm glad the Toon Makers version didn't get made. It looked bad but it was made tolerable by a halfway decent theme song.

3.Earlier,I saw something for a thing called "Warrior Nun Areala" from Ben Dunn. I hope that this and "Ninja High School" get an animated series or some movies. They both look like good ideas for series and I hope some day that occurs. I think I might like them.

4.Although I like a lot of Japanese-American collaborations,I don't know if I'd ever want to see "Satanika." Basically,it's just an Americanized version of the same needlessly ultraviolent schlock that anime used to be known for. In a way,I'm glad this didn't get made. It looks like I'd need to take a looong shower after seeing it.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
There's also Blue Uru the sequel to Wings of Honneamise that still supposedly might actually get made.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Hannah Montana the anime would been worse than Abunai Sisters.

Now I have just remembered that the latter existed! You have my proportional gratitude and scorn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I imagine if Hannah Montana had actually been animated, we all would have learned a lifelong lesson and Netflix would have saved us all from the horror of Neo Yokio.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Insert "Core in the House" anime joke here.

Only if we insert a "Y" at the end of Core's name first Razz.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Hannah Montana the anime would been worse than Abunai Sisters. I'm glad Toei had the sense to scrap that idea.

Not too bad for the Studio that gave us 64 episodes of DragonBall GT and 1 Special.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
I can just imagine the scenario: Walt Disney is still alive and healthy. Though no longer the CEO of the company, he still provides suggestions. Upon hearing the idea of a "Hannah Montana" anime, he drops dead.
Dandylion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
I remember 3 projects (unfortunately I can't remember their titles) announced by AIC (although I'm not 100% sure e It was AIC) right before their period of inactivity ... They were on display on its official website as upcoming projects for a while ...

I also remember the anime adaptation of "Bloody Monday" by Gonzo, cancelled because of Gonzo's financial problems at the time ...

Edit: here 2 of the 3 projects I meant ... animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-10-12/anime-studio-aic-posts-astral-animators-image/.79764
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I can just imagine the scenario: Walt Disney is still alive and healthy. Though no longer the CEO of the company, he still provides suggestions. Upon hearing the idea of a "Hannah Montana" anime, he drops dead.

Given that this was the same Walt Disney who gave us the "King's Touch" I question the veracity of this statement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4