• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball Super was a mistake
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I get the feeling that as far as TV rankings go, I think Super's 1 hr special will outdo One Piece's this time. It was only the 2nd part of One Piece's special that was great. Super's was great all the way through

P.S Toei mustve broken the bank with animation quality like this

Surprisingly not really, quite a few good key animators weren't even on the special that have worked on DBS and the likes of Shida and Takahashi were limited and conserved in what they did. In other words we could end up seeing an even better finale for the end of the arc!!
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Just a note it looks like an entire minute was cut off from the end of episode 109 on US streaming sites.

https://twitter.com/bonusstage/status/917061652880687105

Also 110, though it was very minor there.

Anyway, this was Toei's doing, not Crunchyroll (or Daisuki who also has that version). They did the exact same thing with last week's One Piece special (which surprisingly nobody has talked about) and also all of Digimon Adventure Tri (there are minutes of animation in the movies that are cut from the "episodes" that are streaming),

The full versions of Super & One Piece's specials are streaming only on FUNimation's website...

http://www.onepieceofficial.com/videos.aspx?&v=9076
https://www.funimation.com/shows/dragon-ball-super/this-is-the-universes-ultimate-battle-son-goku-vs-jiren/

and as for Tri, there's the Shout Factory BD/DVD releases which has the theatrical versions.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Digimon-Adventure-tri-Reunion-Blu-Ray-DVD
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Digimon-Adventure-Tri-Determination-Blu-Ray-DVD
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Digimon-Adventure-tri-Confession-Blu-ray-DVD

GhostD wrote:
I get the feeling that as far as TV rankings go, I think Super's 1 hr special will outdo One Piece's this time. It was only the 2nd part of One Piece's special that was great. Super's was great all the way through

That's fine and good but with ratings, the real question is if both specials were affected by the Super Hero Time hour changing time slots since last week.

Details:
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/09/tv-asahis-kamen-rider-vs-fuji-tvs-goku/

Basically one network changing two shows' time slots has caused Toei & Bandai to compete against themselves now.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
As for the episodes I thought both were great. I loved
Goku's new form and the fight animation was beautiful. If only Super could always look this good. But I understand it can't and at least they did deliver in this instance.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Vegeta randomly not giving his energy (when even Freeza did) just because. Not sure what the writers were trying to do there but they did Vegeta no favors. At least he did help out by blasting Ribrianne away and the rest of the special he was fine.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
The way the review described the powerup made it sound very contrived, which I think was a shame because this is one of the only Super powerups that is properly built up and executed.

The Energy Goku had came from what he internalised from the Spirit bomb reaction thing. We've seen people able to absorb energy all throughout the series (and Goku was able to internalise and pass over the Spirit bomb before, so him being able to do that itself wasn't too off base).

Now ordinarily that would've just given him energy. Useful to be sure, but the combined energy of the Spirit bomb wasn't exactly Galaxy scale, so not something that would prove Goku a match for Jiren.

That part was due to the Ultra instinct. This last bit is something Whis has been hinting at since Vegeta started training with Whis. It is what Beerus himself is still working on mastering under Whis's tutelage, where your body moves on such honed instinct that it requires zero processing time.

The complete erasure of his own energy by the spirit bomb energy blasting it away apparantly worked like a wake up call for Goku's body, allowing him to reach a mental state very close to mastering ultra instinct.

The heat coming off of Goku's body was the energy of the spirit bomb leaking out, and he ran completely out of steam by the end of his and Jirens fight. Assuming Freeza restores his energy, Goku might independently be able to reach that mental state again, but without a Spirit Bomb I doubt the form would look the same.

Now depending on how Toei treats this going forward, this might all become moot. They might push the return of the form like they did with regular god despite it not making sense in the previously context of the anime. Or they might keep this a one time hit and stick to their story. Only time will tell.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's fine and good but with ratings, the real question is if both specials were affected by the Super Hero Time hour changing time slots since last week.

Details:
http://tokusatsunetwork.com/2017/09/tv-asahis-kamen-rider-vs-fuji-tvs-goku/

Basically one network changing two shows' time slots has caused Toei & Bandai to compete against themselves now.

Nothing we can do about that. Its beyond our control. Besides that my concern are the ratings between DBS and OP and by extension Conan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Ep 111,

I'll hand to to Frieza that he does think things through. I seriously doubt he's turned over a new leaf or is helping Goku because he "owes him one". He knows that in order to survive he needs his team to win the tournament, and he knows how strong Jiren is and doesn't want to fight him so he'll help Goku out so that Goku can take down Jiren for him. He can always fight Goku after they win the tournament.

I do hope they don't drag out the side fights too much, we know they are going to narrow down the other contestants over time, I just hope they do it more like they did with master roshi and make it interesting.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
You did your best, Dad. ;_;
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I don't think this episode looked that bad. Sure, it wasn't the same spectacle that the special was, and of course not, that much was always to be expected, but I still think this week was at least a notch above the usual quality we get from Super. If nothing else, I don't think I saw anything glaringly wrong with this week's, besides maybe a frame or two where Vegeta's head looked a tad too big for his body from a distance. The fight animation looked good, so perhaps it just feels like it's worse on the heels of the special.
hanko14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
episode 111 i thought the animation was just as good or even better then the 1 hour special. they manage to look after all the characters. and it felt bit nostalgic like a dbz ep.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who likes Cabba? I actually quite like his design and its similarities to Vegeta. Plus, he's the kind of cosmic protector that everyone wrongly assumes Goku to be.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Even though the idea's been thrown around all over the internet before Im almost certain that using the super dragon balls to wish back the erased universes is a thought that PROBABLY occurred in only a few people in the tournament Vegeta being one of them which is most likely the reason why Its only been mentioned once and only by Vegeta.

Think about it. Some like Ribrianne and Frieza have expressed their desire to use SDBs for their personal interests. Goku said hed use the wishes for his family but Im almost certain theyd tell him to wish the other universes back too. The fact that Vegeta is so far the only one to have expressed this intention is good, albeit subtle, character development for him and makes me like him even more.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I think that, as with the regular Dragon Balls, the Super Dragon Balls have limitations to what they can do. Namely, I'm not sure if they're powerful enough to wish back an entire Universe, especially not one destroyed by Zen-o. A planet? Yes, I can see that. But a whole Universe, let alone multiple ones? I don't see it. I think being able to wish them back the way they're hoping to do is going to end up being a No Go, in part because it would defeat the whole reason Zeno-o wants to destroy them in the first place. He's *already* letting one extra Universe survive as a favor to Goku, so an additional one seems hard to fathom.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
Am I the only one who likes Cabba? I actually quite like his design and its similarities to Vegeta. Plus, he's the kind of cosmic protector that everyone wrongly assumes Goku to be.

I really like Cabba, he reminds me the most of Gohan personally. But I can see on his own he isn't really a compelling character he works best as a secondary character and for that Vegeta is perfect because of his attitude lol. Cabba and Vegeta have some really great chemistry and I enjoyed both the Cabba/Vegeta episodes in Super a lot.

But it was definitely the fact that we can see how much Vegeta has changed in relation to Cabba that I enjoyed them so much more so than that I think Cabba has main character potential.

Also happy they mentioned Sadala again. I am so hoping the next story arc takes place there.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
Potentially the most important moment of this week's episode was buried in the middle of all the fighting. That's when Great Priest finally explained what happens when time runs out: the universe with the most fighters wins. I don't think that was clarified before. This changes the context for what a lot of the fighters are doing. For starters, it makes Jiren out to be a complete idiot: his universe has the least remaining fighters, so why the hell is he napping? Universe 7 has a strong lead right now, and U11 only has three guys left, so U7 don't have to beat Jiren or any of the other Pride Troopers to win, they just have to run out the clock. Sure, nothing's going to stop Goku or Vegeta from challenging Jiren because Sayians just gotta fight the biggest guy in the room, but U7 could lose BOTH Goku and Vegeta to Jiren and STILL win at this point, if they just knock out a couple of weaker fighters from other universes.

I'm sure this won't happen, because there's no way this tourney doesn't come down to a Goku VS Jiren showdown, and because Gohan probably can't get enough members of his team to listen to him if he went with that strategy (18 and 17 MIGHT agree, but the Sayians will just want to fight, and Freeza...is Freeza.)

The fact that Universe 7 is winning and everyone is afraid of Universe 11 despite the fact that their strategies are total garbage is...actually pretty typical Dragon Ball. That's not a bad thing. DB's stubborn refusal to make logical sense is one of the most fun things about it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 40