• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How Does the Kino's Journey Remake Compare to the Original Series?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:
Gender pronouns started making me frown, I know there is a push these days for more androgynous use of pronouns for asexual folks, but the show uses the pronoun 'He' currently, as far as I can tell.

Actually, that was a subtitle error - the Japanese did not use any masculine pronouns.

Huh? That's not true. Kino used 僕(boku) multiple times to refer to herself. It's not exclusively masculine, but it certainly has a masculine nuance, and in real life, is almost always used by boys.
Regardless, that's not a subtitle error, it was probably simply that the translator was unfamiliar with Kino as a character and defaulted to "he" because that's what "boku" usually implies.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
FYI: Tokyopop published the first book in English, although they moved the origin story to be Chapter 1, I think it was Chapter 4 originally IIRC. Coliseum is Chapter 6. The story didn't talk about an under class, other than mentioning Kino had the choice of fighting or slavery. Below is an excerpt, where Kino makes the new law, in case you'd like to compare it to the new anime and/or the old one.
Quote:
"Without a king," Kino told them, "this land will have no order! So I will decide the new king! Here is my law: starting now, you will compete to decide the next ruler! Let any adult citizen who wishes to take the throne come forward and do battle for it. The last one left standing will be king or queen! Those of you who will not fight must leave this city and forfeit your rights of citizenship! This is now law!"

For a second, the coliseum fell totally silent as the crowd worked through the logic of Kino's Law. A few were quick to realize that if everyone fought to the death, there would eventually be a king or queen with no subjects but children, the aged, and infirm. And were everyone to choose not to fight, again, there would be a ruler without a kingdom. And among those few, some came to the conclusion that their city would remain intact only if they did not fight to the death.

Most did not think, however. They merely reacted with fear, or anger, or relief, or any one of a thousand emotions, all expressed loudly.

The renewed roar of the crowd in ...

I wish the new anime had used this version of the law, and this version of the immediate aftermath, instead of having people fighting in the stands right away.

The Tokyopop book has the title
Kino No Tabi
and the subtitle
Book one of THE BEAUTIFUL WORLD

A couple of places where Interlibrary Loan might be able to find it:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/kino-no-tabi/oclc/80332503

Amazon.com page:
https://www.amazon.com/Kino-Tabi-Book-BEAUTIFUL-WORLD/dp/1598164554/
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
I checked the volume right before doing the column, and there is an underclass in the book. They're referred to as "voluntary exiles" (in a less realistic but more clear line-drawing between classes, they revoked citizenship because they disagreed with the bloodshed it propagated; in the first anime adaptation, many of them are just born into poverty). Either way, they are not considered citizens and are basically included just to clarify that this is not a cartoonish country made purely out of evil slaughter-lovers. The only difference between the book and the first anime that I fudged a little to save text space was that in the book, Kino does not explicitly outlaw harming the voluntary exiles, she seems to assume they'll just leave because of her "get outta town" thing. The first anime fleshes out this detail more and adds the "harming exiles = disqualification" bit.
kj_4247

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
I love the formatting with the chat bubbles, very cool
Djidji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
I checked the volume right before doing the column, and there is an underclass in the book. They're referred to as "voluntary exiles" (in a less realistic but more clear line-drawing between classes, they revoked citizenship because they disagreed with the bloodshed it propagated; in the first anime adaptation, many of them are just born into poverty). Either way, they are not considered citizens and are basically included just to clarify that this is not a cartoonish country made purely out of evil slaughter-lovers. The only difference between the book and the first anime that I fudged a little to save text space was that in the book, Kino does not explicitly outlaw harming the voluntary exiles, she seems to assume they'll just leave because of her "get outta town" thing. The first anime fleshes out this detail more and adds the "harming exiles = disqualification" bit.

The english translated version of the self-exiles (self exiles meant they ran away from the country though) says so:
Quote:
According to the history, there were enterprising souls who went mad and disappeared into the countryside; others ran away like the abject cowards they were.
Curiously, it was these self-exiles who prompted the creation of the contest.

So no, there is no underclass. Or maybe you refer to an other passage I missed (that would be my mistake) or the english translation lost something.

When Jacob said
Quote:
A) The new murderbowl is limited to first-class citizens, i.e. people who won and/or benefited from this awful system in the first place. Slum denizens are not only exempt, but protected from this violence by the decree. If you harm any of them, you're disqualified.

that's not true. The novel doesn't say so. I hope the reviewer of the current Kino would also read the novel if it's for judging it as a good or bad adaptation.
Still, not explaining the ones who don't want to fight should leave the country is what differ from the novel, but implied. Her law still suits the colosseum.

In my opinion, the fact people start murdering each other did happen in the anime and not in the novel to point out people will do it instead of dropping the idea of having a king.
It connects to Hermes discussion with the guard:
Quote:
"If you don't want to get killed, you should probably leave too," Hermes suggested.
"You think?"
"You have a family?" Hermes asked as Kino started his engine. The rumble echoed from the concrete walls.
The guard nodded.
"Then. I think you really ought to leave. Your family will thank you."
"He's pretty wise for a piece of machinery," said Kino, and put Hermes in gear.

I'm rather interested in the opinion of someone who will see the 03's Colosseum arc after this new one.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Ah okay, I was mistaken then. Had to read through it in a hurry, and my brain just connected dots that weren't there when I saw those passages. It's a weaker story in the original novel to be sure, but it's still better than what they did in the new anime; even the added context of showing more nuanced aftermath to the decree or showing Kino's emotional progression would have helped it not be as shitty. I'd stand by my criticism that the episode stinks, whether or not the source material was any better, and the version in the 03 anime was a good story, even if they had to add elements to get it there.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop's release of the LN should be taken with a grain of salt. How I wish that someone like JNC would license the LN.
Djidji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Ah okay, I was mistaken then. Had to read through it in a hurry, and my brain just connected dots that weren't there when I saw those passages. It's a weaker story in the original novel to be sure, but it's still better than what they did in the new anime; even the added context of showing more nuanced aftermath to the decree or showing Kino's emotional progression would have helped it not be as shitty. I'd stand by my criticism that the episode stinks, whether or not the source material was any better, and the version in the 03 anime was a good story, even if they had to add elements to get it there.

Well, I found the new version to be closer to what the story is about, that is vengeance, Kino being angry since the beginning with the couple story and the travelers getting trapped but also had all the key to express her revenge.

In the 03's story, I can't explain why Kino chosed to continue fighting. She didn't know about the law rule before her first fight but she just learned about the couple. She didn't have any reason to stay. Original Kino had a motive to take part on the contest up to the end from the beginning (knowing the law rule and that spectator can be killed).
The 03's story felt more like she did it for the citizen rather than for the travelers, that's why I prefer the 17's version when it came to the message delivered, the travelers being the ones concerned by the law here.
I also didn't like how they portrayed the king in the 03's as a Mad King, because it almost forced you to hate him for his crazyness rather than the law he created. It induced you to accept Kino's rule even if it's fundamentally the same, but not for the same reasons.

That's a part of how the two stories are different for me.

Edit: According to tootbrush's link, it's good to know that in the original version, the chaos ensued immediately after the rule statement. Surprised
Edit 2: Was also wondering if 03's version is not more about justice than vengeance?
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
So I don't need to watch the original anime of Kino's Journey to watch this new one? Is that it? Because I don't know if I should watch the original first?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the 03 version was the directors deciding how to deflect attention/justify the fact that the main character of their anime just committed a premeditated murder/assassination for reasons that would be hard to convey.

The Nobles fighting it out, and any who harmed a non combatant would be disqualified.
My question, who would enforce Kino's new rule?

The true answer in a class divided land where the leader was just assassinated: No one.

Makes it even worse if the armed guards are not part of the nobility.
Kino just signed the country up for a period of brutal succession that could take years to sort out, if it ever settled down.
The law Kino stated in 03 was embellished to sugar coat what Kino has done and the base reason why.

The new version does have problems as well, but I think works better.

The guards state that the populace initially reacted negatively to the previous King's assassination, but went along with it when they figured out that they could "do what they want". I think it could be assumed that a good number of sane people did what they wanted and left. Kino spares all opponents with a different goal in mind besides winning, having previously accepted the country's rules, Kino now is plotting to murder the King.

The assassination goes as planned, somehow miraculously sparring the other occupants in the small enclosed room from flying shrapnel from exploding bullets shot from a revolver at over 100 yards at a target hidden by mirrored glass.

Kino's new law has a subtle genius to it.
Everyone present in the arena knows that death/injury from collateral damage (with no recourse or compensation) occurs. Who would go watch this, but some blood sport crazed moron? After Kino gets the upper hand, most if not all the crowd is cheering for the kill.
The audience was not worth saving as portrayed. So Kino's decree seals the deal.
Anyone who would think that "Hey, if I kill or beat everyone here, and then in the country, I can be King!" and then starts attacking the person next to them has no humanity left.

Kino might have done the country's remaining residents a small favor, having the worst elements eliminate each other right off the bat.

A similarly cartoonish outcome, but from what I have seen of the original quoted in the thread, maybe a little closer.

Later when Kino says revenge is stupid, I think it is a true reflection on the events as they played out. Yeah, a bad ruler was removed, but the cost was going to be very high.

Trying to justify an assassination is tricky, as evidenced by the prince thanking Kino for doing it so he did not have to.

In both versions, there is no getting around Kino's premeditated murder, 03 just clouds the issue with elements that did not exist.

You can always count on Kino for some thought at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2