• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kino's Journey - the Beautiful World-

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Echii wrote:
Also, someone mentioned that this adaptation is more faithful to the manga than the old (the old show added more stuff that were not in the manga).

Novel, not manga.

Anyway, having watched the original Kino anime and having read the novels (they're some of my favorites) this episode was... fine, sort of? Brushed off a whole bunch of expo but I already know that, so really I'm here for the visuals and voice acting I guess. Those haven't been terribly great but they haven't been bad either, so this gets a good 'ok' out of me.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Did i miss some major rule change or since when do we need to use spoiler tags in the review thread while actually talking about the reviewed episode? Confused

I guess I didn't give it much thought that this was the forum for the review. My bad.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
I was hoping that they wouldn't do any stories that were in the previews Anime, as I can just watch it in that. I really wish they wouldn't have done this one, when I watched the other show I stopped watching it for awhile because of those 2 episodes.
Echii wrote:
Not everyone here is an old folk who watched the old series. As someone new for this anime, I personally think this show is one of the best in this season. And this show is a remake, it probably for new people like me, not for people who watched the old series
Old folks? this only came out in 03, and most of us didn't watch it until years later. It is practically new, go watch, there are probably plenty of stories in that which we won't get in this as it is adapting material not fount in the other adaptation.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
I think the difference between this version and the 2003 version is that this one relies much more on tight, loaded dialogue and abstract symbolism. Nobody going to analyze Kino's actions in the aftermath roadside talk with Hermes and what it might represent? The outright irony of Kino's quip to Shizu about revenge? I think this adaptation has had plenty of good material so far, you just have to let yourself soak it in.
Simplo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
I would rather have an unfaithful masterpiece than this faithful mediocrity. If this anime is just gonna be downgrade of the '03 both plot-wise and in its aesthetic I couldn't care less how faithful it is to the source material.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the new version was much more subtle but at the same time more directly about its 'moral' (that it did have).
Kino telling the prince how "revenge is dumb" right after what just happened was really poignant. Kino's actions during the episode also tied to what she said in episode 1 about being a nasty person.

I hadn't seen the original series, so I went and watched the earlier version of this story, and honestly, most of what they added wasn't necessary. In fact, I thought in some cases it 'actively added things that subtract meaning', like the king pleading to be saved.
At least the puppet show was cool.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, I think in the end the changes just made it a different story altogether. I stand by what I said as 'subtracting meaning', but only if you see it as the same story the original in the novels and the new anime was. In the end, though, it's not about either one being superior, just that they're very different.
Djidji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Gabriella Ekens wrote:
So this second episode was just a total failure of adaptation, taking out crucial parts of the story while actively adding things that subtract meaning.

I wonder what are those crucial parts.
In the novel, there is no Mad King presentation, there is no top-class (and low-class) citizens. You don't know about Shizu (and the other contestants) before their fights and so on.
In the 03's version, Kino appeared as a hero who saved the low-class while in the 17's, Kino is the avenger who transformed the all country into a Colosseum. (low class vs top class became travelers vs citizens)

People should either judge on the source it's adapted from (that is, the Light Novel), or to get what are the difference between the two series.
I don't understand why the reviewer judged this episode with the setting of the 03's version which is different. Confused
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch the 2003 series as I didn't get back into Anime until around 2008 so most of the series released from 2000 to 2007 are shows I've never seen.

So I came to this a blank slate, I thought episode one was interesting but the ideas expressed seemed more like an exploration of a society that has some sort honor code like Omertà or conversely some sort of "City of Refuge" as found in The Old testament.

While also reminding me of a quote from a sermon by Donald Grey Barnhouse who said, (to paraphrase very liberally) if The Devil ran a town it would be the most "Moral" town in existence.

I found episode one oddly sedate in comparison to the city in episode two while Kino's actions at the end of the episode took me aback a little. Over all an enjoyable collection of episodic philosophical and moral ponderings per episode that has some nice visuals.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that this episode, like the ones before it, was trying to play up its own internal irony. The title this time around refers to both countries together. On the one hand, we have a country always on the move. On the other, we have a country so immobile it seeks to stop others from moving as well. Both cause problems for people just by being there, but the difference between them is that the mobile country at least tries.

Since it's fairly easy to argue that globalized capitalism doesn't try to mitigate its own damage, I'd say it's safer to interpret these two countries in the same vein as the country from episode one. My favorite part about Kino's Journey was never trying to apply it to the real world, so much as diving into Sigsawa's "obviously this would never really happen, but what if?" musings, all the while accepting that there's probably only so much philosophical depth you can expect from a guy with a name like a firearms manufacturer.
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a final note, because I found this out pretty late into the process of writing this review, apparently the stories that they're adapting were determined by a poll! Notably, the poll did not ask for readers' favorite chapters from the novels, but their favorite countries specifically, which means that vignettes on the road itself like A Tale of Feeding Off Others or Three Men Along the Rails might not have even been considered, to say nothing of stories whose countries could not fill one full episode on their own being unlikely to make the list.

No. Readers were able to choose from all the chapters.
http://kinonoranove.tumblr.com/post/130886923951/kino-no-tabi-ln-chapters-voting-contest-result
Those two stories were ranked 9th and 11th respectively.

The anime staff chose the episodes based on the poll, but it's only for reference. Among the stories they are adapting, 4 episodes are not ranked (Lower than 31th). EP3 is one of them actually.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
At the start of episode I was thinking, she has turned into Jotaro. At the end I was thinking, she has turned into Golgo 13.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The "Bothersome Country" is supposed to be America, right? Everything fits. Giant military industrial complex rolling across the world threatening the sovereignty of everyone in it's path, while flaunting a mural of peace.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, the episodes weren't decided entirely by the poll. From the list you could tell they were shooting for the following criteria:

1. Nostalgia/introduction episodes (Land of Adults, Coliseum, A Kind Land)
2. Episodes featuring the other characters (Ship Country, Land of Electromagnetic Waves, Land with a History, Amidst the Clouds).
3. Fan favorite stories that are not too violent/with objectionable content (or excluded because they feature the side characters other than those already in #2) which are A Country Where People Can Kill Others, and Land of Liars
4. Advertisement for the latest volume (A Field of Sheep)
5. Buffer episode to showcase as many of the stories as possible (Various Countries)

The only one that wasn't filtered through by the above is the 3rd episode (A Troublesome Land), which I suspect is included because it showcases Kino's 3rd persuader, the rifle Flute (special request by Sigsawa, maybe?).

And I wouldn't say this adaptation would have the stories with the "most brutal systems". Not even close. Razz

Last edited by SaneSavantElla on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
The "Bothersome Country" is supposed to be America, right? Everything fits. Giant military industrial complex rolling across the world threatening the sovereignty of everyone in it's path, while flaunting a mural of peace.

The label "Bothersome Country" actually applies to both the moving country and the wall country.
Nyron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I didn't watch the 2003 series as I didn't get back into Anime until around 2008 so most of the series released from 2000 to 2007 are shows I've never seen.

So I came to this a blank slate, I thought episode one was interesting but the ideas expressed seemed more like an exploration of a society that has some sort honor code like Omertà or conversely some sort of "City of Refuge" as found in The Old testament.

While also reminding me of a quote from a sermon by Donald Grey Barnhouse who said, (to paraphrase very liberally) if The Devil ran a town it would be the most "Moral" town in existence.

I found episode one oddly sedate in comparison to the city in episode two while Kino's actions at the end of the episode took me aback a little. Over all an enjoyable collection of episodic philosophical and moral ponderings per episode that has some nice visuals.

Have you cnsidered... watching the original series? We live in 2017, where there's nothing stopping you from watching it instead of this dreck.

Seriously, this show is really bad.

Also why does this episode have a B- if half the episode review is spent saying how questionable the series is?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21